Amlin Reviews

3.3
Amlin CEO Charles Phillips
Charles Phillips

1. Good company to work for historically but the times they are a-changing

Current Employee - IT Person in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Person in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Amlin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary, bonus and share scheme. Nice new offices. There has been a good core of people who stayed loyal to Amlin over the years and made working here a pleasure.

Cons

Great experience in the first number of years, up until this last year. A full company re-org has taken place as well as a relocation of back office staff. The way this has been handled has been terrible and most people have lost faith and trust in senior management. No communication and no compassion to the many staff impacted by this. Amlin used to be all about their people. Not now, staff aren't treated as people anymore. Amlin are losing a lot of experienced people at the moment.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff! Don't make us feel like we don't count. You're only as good as the people who work for you. Don't drive out all your good people, because you'll be left with very average staff.

2. I´m working in a very motivated team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

I have been working at Amlin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The working atmosphere is very great, motivated team players makes the days better, successful strategy, modern offices, top management, good reputation in the market

Cons

IT department and IT systems are very poor, Amlin lost chances. The focus on lowest costs is to strength, internal meetings should be less frequently in this busy time.

Advice to Management

Let the IT stuff go and hire experts, invest in contemporary IT programs/software.

3. Good individuals, but management is confused.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amlin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for a month as part of a short term contract. I liked the people, they were very social and helpful. The work and staff were of a high professional standard.

Cons

Some (small amount of) management were pretty useless (talked a good game, stole other peoples ideas etc, and didn't add anything of value), but this is nothing new for many companies. Whilst I was there a department was moved out of the main office - this seemed to have been done with very little empathy, and a lot of 'constructive dismissal' plans. Management were not seen on the floor at this point, only HR people with no power. Management has a lack of contact with staff. Possibly 'standard' (i.e. not good, but not unknown) for a company of this size. The morale of the office tumbled whilst I was there, not surprisingly. Departments were frequently overworked. Good people were allowed to take too much responsibility, leading to potential "under a bus" risk, and personnel burn out. Cost cutting was hurting the effectiveness of the staff, leading to low morale, people being overworked, high staff turnover etc. I'm sure that it looked good on a balance sheet somewhere though.

Advice to Management

If you treat your staff as human beings, then you won't go far wrong. Have frequent (and real) contact with staff (big group meetings with 'Marketing' bullet points preaching to staff aren't what I mean). High staff turnover and burnout is hurting your company - is a new employee (recruitment costs, not as productive as an experienced employee etc.) better than keeping a current/experienced employee happy (with low cost things like respect, flexible working practices, good management at all levels)? High calibre/experienced staff are important, and cannot be replaced with low calibre/unexperienced staff, without an impact (probably untraceable to staff quality) on the bottom line. Typical accountancy led management practices that I've seen in hundreds of companies that I've worked for are not differentiating your company (and bottom line) from the average.

5. Great people...not so great IT

I have been working at Amlin full-time

Pros

- Great people and management - Excellent vacation, pay and benefits - Great place for graduates to start to get experience

Cons

- Slow Internet speed - Sub-standard IT systems - Slow to change and adapt

Advice to Management

Make quality IT systems and support a priority

Good company though IT department has lost direction

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Very good company which is well respected in the Lloyds marked Company is aspiring to grow organically and through acquisition Restructure is the right decision and direction for the company to take Very good benefits and package Benefits are company wide not department specific Very good work life balance

Cons

IT management have a consultant background which has meant the is no succession management or career growth within IT. Current restructure has made it an uncomfortable place to work, but I'm sure that after a year or so that the new bedded in team will work. Little communication,

Advice to Management

Succession manage, utilise current experience

Investments at insurer

Former Employee - Investments in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Investments in London, England (UK)

I worked at Amlin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training courses available, easy hours, little pressure / deadlines, nice people on a one to one basis. Senior leaders are visible (CEO/CFO) and do try to explain what they are doing - they are still ambitious in wanting to grow the firm. Firm has a prestigious name in insurance market.

Cons

Everyone is silo'd in their own department, very little interaction i.e. it's a fiefdom so very little teamwork between depts. Lots of red tape and paperwork make decision making difficult - no one wants to put their neck on the line as most snr management are massively incentivised with long term vesting stock options (3yrs?). Most people who work here on middle-senior levels do not like Amlin and it filters down to staff. You're very unlikely to get promoted unless you're buddies with someone or your boss. Group Investment department have the lowest engagement and morale in the firm, mostly because the senior leadership are awful so steer clear of those.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who have been there for ages and just suck up, do a real review of staff as there is a ton of dead weight. Don't gamble the company on punting a load of risk in the investment department - its worked so far due to basically equities but it can't work forever. Lots of good people leave because of some staff on the general management group - who don't display Amlin's values but there because of old / long term relationships.

I enjoyed my time with Amlin

Current Employee - Test Lead in Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Test Lead in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I have been working at Amlin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No stress. Cool and calm environment.

Cons

We don't have the flexibility of working form home

9. Catastrophe Risk Modelling

Pros

Friendly company, reasonable training, nice facilities.

Cons

I think this company is brilliant. Nothing to blame.

Good but not a long term career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Pros

good reputation, highly regarded. Very good place for an underwriter.

Cons

No career progression. Very top heavy. Only good for underwriters. Many school leavers and not many professionals. Not very innovative. Good jobs for "right" people only not very merit based.

Advice to Management

Need to think on wider implications of how you run the place. Your still a small company.

RSS Feed </> Embed