Amnesty International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Salil Shetty

Pros
  • Good experience for first time intern in human rights (in 11 reviews)

• You get to work for a good cause (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • People promoted based on their passion for human rights do not good managers make (in 7 reviews)

• As a woman, in her 30's, fixed term contracts here changed the way my life panned out re children, mortgage, lifestyle choices, etc (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Unpaid Internship but Fulfilling Learning Experience

Pros1 on 1 with direct supervisor, interesting research projects.

ConsAll internship at this organization are unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide interns with lunch or travel compensation

What a mess at the USA offices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the staff were great, incredible people dedicated to promoting human rights and basically making a difference in the world. Strong sense of ethics.

ConsThe executive level managers were god awful. Amnesty USA had been going through excessive turnover at all levels, but especially at the top. Too much cronyism going on, leading to really bad hiring decisions -- ineffectual, indecisive and irresponsible executives just out to squeeze as much money from the organization as they could. They've lost a lot of really good staff that were important in keeping the place running at all, as well as wasting a lot of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo work for a venture capitalist if all you want is a fat paycheck. Let the rest of us actually do something constructive with donor funds.

Not for the faint of heart

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. Fun environment. Emotionally satisfying. Experience that opens up a lot of doors. Opportunity to work on a range of projects and take on a lot of responsibilities.

ConsLots of turnover in the past few years; upper management still struggles to connect with the rest of staff. Organization needs to make more decisions based on proven successes and likely returns instead of gut feelings and competitive attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got amazing, dedicated workers - trust them to do their jobs!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood experience for first time intern in human rights. I was lucky to have a great supervisor in the Organization, Campaigns, and Membership Department, that let me have a lot of hands on experience planning advocacy events and working with student groups.

ConsWish there was more opportunity for employment post internship.

Tumultuous year, great mission.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission and colleagues; wonderful opportunities. What can I say, working for a human rights organization is wonderful.

ConsStrong decisions of leadership leading to change and restructuring; budget crisis hitting all nonprofits leading to staff cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw us under the bus, chaps!

This was the most incredible learning experience I could have had as a college student!

Student Activist Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities, you can basically make this position as important and as big as you want it to be, people are very appreciative of your work, you get to advocate for the most noble causes on the planet

ConsNot enough direction, it can be difficult to get access to regional headquarters if you are not in the same state, it's an unpaid position that requires a lot of work

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue the trainings, they are essential to helping students take on the reins!

Passionate coworkers that inspire great work and community

Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone is passionate and love their jobs so it is refreshing to work with motivated people. Opportunities are there if you are determined, have good relationships with senior management and not afraid to work hard.

ConsVery meager pay, not a lot of structure, top level management has no management skills

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in consultants to help with the organizational structure and management

So Sad what's happened to a once great organization

Staff (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with some great people who cared about the issues. They're all gone now.

ConsIncompetent mangagement. No accountability with excessive bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementJust leave and let committed and professional people who care take over

Upper Management was truly terrible. We formed a union to protect ourselves against them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get to work for a good cause. Also, really good medical benefits

ConsTerrible management, the WORST. I've never seen such bad morale

Advice to Senior Managementfire all upper management at AIUSA

Good introductory experience to human rights institutions. Very segmented departments with minimal crossover.

Organizing Unit Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGain insights into the daily operations of a leading organization.
    Work as part of a team of interns towards completion of specific projects.
    Volunteer opportunities for high profile events.

ConsMuch of the experience depends on who your immediate supervisor is—the rest of the upper level staff is very hands-off and not the friendliest.
    Intern team was much too large (9 in total!) so that work was not adequately shared.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the number of interns an individual upper-level employee can take on.
    Provide some sort of program, even a barebones one, for welcoming interns to the staff.

Worked for Amnesty International? Contribute to the Community!