Amobee

CEO

Fun Place to Work, but Not Without Its Flaws

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Amobee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Amobee (and previously Adconion Direct until they were acquired by Amobee) for more than 3 years in the San Diego office. My thoughts below:
    -Absolutely fantastic people. Everybody is really cool, laid-back, and hardworking. This is not a 9-5 company (few jobs in this industry are), but given how hard everybody is working there is remarkably little tension and bitterness. Workforce is generally very young and and the majority of people are friends with each-other, not just co-workers. Company deserves credit for hiring many people right out of college, something more companies should do
    -Lots of fun social events and mixers. Excellent health insurance benefits.
    -Causal work environment
    -Exciting industry characterized by rapid change
    -Pay is decent, but not spectacular. Salaries will be lower than positions at comparable companies in SF or NYC, but this can be chalked up to broader macroeconomic conditions pushing up salaries in those cities
    -Acquisition has injected much needed resources and capital

Cons

-I believe this is starting to change with the acquisition, but prior there was very little transparency from management about how the company is doing and poor articulation of the long-term strategic vision from a tactical standpoint.
    -While company culture is great, occasionally management is so over the top in highlighting the positives while ignoring the negatives that it becomes almost farcical
    -Managers are inexperienced (although still cool people in general)
    -Poor training programs and skill development on a company and team level
    -Despite being in the tech industry, the company has a much stronger sales culture than a tech culture. The company struggles mightily from a technical and engineering perspective and by trying to offer so many products and channels may be stretching itself too thin, especially from a technology perspective. While some of the technology being pitched is real, some of it is smoke and mirrors

-Become more transparent with your employees. Be much more detailed and descriptive about the specific challenges the company is facing and the plan to tackle them. The inspiring rhetoric about passion and resilience is great, but it needs to be paired with concrete detail otherwise it rings hollow
    -Invest much more heavily in technology and engineering

All about the spin

Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at Amobee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really exceptional individual contributors at Amobee, some of whom came from their acquisition of Kontera Technologies in 2014.

Cons

Management is willfully ignorant. It's not like they haven't had feedback, they just don't care. Many of them have been raised to management through the Peter Principle. The HR department has no power at all, so don't expect anything when you complain to them.
    There is a severe lack of long-term thinking in the leadership. They will spin this as "make money today so we can do better things tomorrow", but tomorrow never comes.
    The claim of being a tech company is totally bogus. Yes, they have some cool tech, but it's barely used. Mostly, they resell online ad space.
    Employee happiness isn't even considered. They talk a good talk about work/life balance and flexibility, but in reality they expect everyone to be available around the clock and physically in the office every day regardless of the insane commute.

Train your managers. Send them to management training and then let HR enforce the management best practices like regular 1:1 meetings & real reviews.

Amazing people, culture, and opportunity!! Fast paced work environment!

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Amobee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart, passionate, driven team, fun culture, people care about one another, the clients and the community, recently underwent exciting acquisitions that is providing more opportunity for all. Competitive salary and benefits. Work hard, play hard mentality. Opportunity to learn and grow. Global footprint and many offices in US. Visionary and inspiring leadership.

Cons

Advertising technology is a dynamic and challenging industry - it's not for every one. You have to be intelligent, strong, hard working, and highly adaptable to really be successful. :)

Meteoric Growth, Opportunities Abound

Current Employee - Senior Director Digital Marketing in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director Digital Marketing in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Amobee

Pros

Amazing technology plus the right leadership to hit one out of the park. Challenging but super fun projects truly test what I'm capable of accomplishing. Great work/life balance, support, and professionalism. The Foster City office is a beautiful space to work in and encourages inter-departmental collaboration.

Cons

None, really. I've worked at both enterprise and start-up companies, and Amobee has the best of both.

Keep up the great work.

Incredible People, Passionate Leaders and Great Work Environment!

I have been working at Amobee full-time

Pros

I've been working for Amobee (formerly Adconion) for 4+ years now and I love my job and the people I work with more than I ever have! We have a high-energy, hard-working group that loves what they do and has fun doing it. Its a place where people are given a lot of rope to blaze their own trail, take risks and be a leader at any level!

Not going to lie - the Company has gone through a lot of changes (to touch upon a CON)...there's a lot of learning as we go and we're in the midst of a huge merger. If you like process and structure, we may drive you a little batty. But if you're someone that loves a little chaos, is driven by challenge and wants an opportunity to actually impact change and be a part of building a Company's future, then you're going to love it here.

The people are AMAZING! They're incredibly smart, fun, funny, interesting, creative and kind! We have a work environment that is FUN (happy hours, raffles, beer cart) and FLEXIBLE (casual dress, work from home, and HR won't freak if you bring your kids to work every now and then). Plus our health insurance plans are super rich and super cheap.

Cons

Lots of changes (we're going through a merger - it's to be expected)
    We could use a little more process, structure and leadership/manager development
    401(k) match would be nice

Continue to be open, transparent and willing to invest in your people

Work = Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Amobee (more than a year)

Pros

There are many great things about this company. To name a few:

-Awesome culture: you can wear your favorite pair of jeans and chucks; there is an entire area to just chill out, play games and munch on free snacks & coffee in the kitchen; there are fun company events that allow you to hang out with your co-workers outside of the work setting; and there is the prize wheel where you can win awesome prizes!

-Benefits: honestly, probably some of the best benefits you've ever seen in a company. Several plans for medical, dental and vision. If you choose the employee only HMO or PPO plan, you don't have to pay a cent into it and the company picks up the entire tab. On top of that, there is flex spending, LTD & STD and Life & AD&D. In addition, plenty of vacation and paid holidays.

-People: You will make lifelong friends here. The people you will work with are amazing, intelligent, friendly and just downright awesome. Leadership is great, too! They are bright, understanding, always willing to help and listen to their team and overall a fun bunch of people.

All in all, the company is a fantastic one that is going great places. The company is a leader in its space and is backed by a very powerful and successful company, Singtel. The sky is the limit here.

Cons

Obviously, every company isn't perfect and there are always those things that would be nice to have:

-401k Match: So, the company offers a 401k but not offer a match. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't listening. As of right now, I am aware of them trying to figure out a plan for 2015-2016.

-Location: we are right in the heart of 805 traffic death trap. You can avoid this traffic as long as you leave for work around 9:00 a.m. and the head home at either 4:30 p.m. or 7 p.m. (this only applies to those who have to take the 805 straight).

Total disconnect between management and the "worker bees".

I worked at Amobee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hires made working with the people there a pleasant experience. Also, employees are given a good amount of autonomy.

Cons

Upper management very obviously did not care about the success of the company and very rarely interfaced with the employees. Shady deals and acquisitions only contributed to a sense that the executives were simply trying to cash out.

Hire some executives who 1) understand what the business needs to succeed, and 2) are not purely interested in their own bonuses.

Acquisition Ruined Amobee's Original DNA and Growth

I worked at Amobee

Pros

The Amobee team was once a thriving, healthy ecosystem to produce innovative technology, foster new ideas, and work effectively with intelligent people. Work-life balance was on par with most similarly sized organizations, and leadership used to be strong and thought provoking. Nice offices, good (honest) employee engagements. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore.

Cons

With the addition of Adconion, the politics are rampant. Strategic decisions are being forfeited for petty tactical ones. Some of execs treat and speak to employees like they're children and seem to confuse "company culture" with "frat culture."

Realize why people are leaving.

Dissatisfied

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Amobee full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some great young people at the worker bee level. Snacks in the kitchen. Raffles. Foosball.

Cons

Don't care to go in to details but suffice to say I was very dissatisfied and left in less than a year.

Cultivate your employees. Set realistic expectations and properly incentivize your employees to succeed.

Potential in future perhaps but chaotic and lacking in many areas

I worked at Amobee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good entertaining budgets
    Team environment
    Training
    Small frequent in office perks
    Opportunity for small promotions

Cons

Miscommunication
    Unrealistic expectations
    Lacks respect
    Benefits so so
    Culture
    Zero transparency
    Vacation policy and work flexibility