Amplify Credit Union Reviews

3.2
Amplify Credit Union President and CEO Paul Trylko
Paul Trylko

1. Featured Review

And this is why I don't look at other jobs....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Amplify for almost 10 years now. I've watched it grow from about 100 employees to now over 200 employees. We've multiplied from two branches to 8 in that time. I've seen the implementation of our mortgage department and watched it grow into a booming part of our business. Business and Consumer lending have developed and become defined. There has been a ton of change, not the least of which was our name change from IBM Texas Employees Federal Credit Union (whew!) to Amplify back in 2006. The change is what keeps it exciting for me. Every day is something different. But there are other things that make me want to stay, like excellent benefits, flexible hours (I'm in a back office role), ability to attend training and external conferences, etc. What really makes a difference is the company culture. I had never worked for a not-for-profit organization before I came to Amplify, and the perspective is amazing. Even though I'm not dealing with our members directly, hearing the stories from our retail and lending teams about how they have helped our members avoid fraud, keep their car, get a loan to buy an engagement ring...it makes me feel good by association! I am so proud to work with everyone on this team because they put their hearts into their work with a smile on their face. It just encourages me to do what I can to support them so they can support our members. That kind of teamwork was never all that evident in my other jobs. I've never felt hesitant to talk to any of our leadership team, from Paul (our CEO) on down. All the Sr. VPs have their doors open unless they're in a meeting, and if I have a question for one of them I can just pop my head in the door and ask. I really like that they have a meeting with all the managers each quarter to fill them in on everything from our financials to our goals to employee recognition and plans for the future, and then the managers present all that information to their departments. Those meetings help me stay in tune with what is going on in other departments and with the business as a whole. I get contacted by headhunters on a pretty regular basis, but I don't even bother to consider other jobs. I've been elsewhere. I know what it's like. Amplify is the best place for me.

Cons

I paint a glowing picture above, but everything can't always be rainbows and puppies, and that is true here, too. Amplify has its warts. Sometimes communication is a challenge - a bombardment of emails and process changes that don't always filter out to everyone who needs to know prior to the change occurring. I think that is par for the course in most companies these days. Some departments are still rather flat in structure, which means that there aren't as many opportunities to move up, if that is what your career goal is. That being said, I have seen a great number of my coworkers kind of job hop within our organization, getting experience in multiple roles and multiple departments. That is cool for them, but also really helpful to Amplify because it helps build understanding of how what they are doing in their department affects other departments. Plus we get to keep all that historical knowledge in the company. The thing that is probably the biggest con for me is that sometimes people bring their baggage from past work lives into Amplify. When they are managers, it can be hard to scrape off the habits they acquired at other organizations so that they mesh with our culture here. When they are individual contributors, many times they are paranoid of management and of speaking up or making suggestions. They don't have trust in the organization, and they aren't willing to give it a chance or ask questions to verify their beliefs, they just hold on to their trunk of distrust and make assumptions based on that. For me, that is a huge frustration - if you can't contribute to a positive culture, or even try, then take your negativity elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Work gets busier and busier, but don't let that prevent you from getting out and talking to those who report to you, and even those in other departments. We go farther together than we can go alone. Communication is important. I really appreciate the freedom to voice my opinions and share my ideas and have them be heard, so please foster that for everyone. Keep your eyes and ears open - When there are people who are not performing or who don't demonstrate Amplify's values in their behavior, get them out of here before they start to bring their coworkers down.

Jun 15, 2015 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your years of service to Amplify, and for taking the time to share your thoughts. Many of the things you have mentioned as cons are things that our management team has on the radar ... More

2. Excellent company with room to grow and move up while making a difference in our members lives

Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive, very hands on, and always something to learn! They care about their workers and build personal connections with their employees.

Cons

The systems are typical credit union systems aka their ancient! The goals for some positions are a bit high, but still achievable.

Advice to Management

Continue to do great things and continue to inspire those around you. Thank you for being accessible and for caring so much about what you do! Overall great company

Mar 25, 2015 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback - we certainly hope that you will continue to have a great working experience here. Please share your ideas and concerns with your management team. We can always use ... More

Avoid at all costs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As others have mentioned, Amplify used to be a good place to work. Over the past few years that has changed. I really can't think of anything to list as a pro of working there.

Cons

Everything that happens is solely for the benefit of upper management. Don't believe for a second that the best interests of the members are even given a passing thought. How many VPs/AVPs does it take to run a credit union? The number of people with these titles has exploded and they could care less about the people on the front lines. When members think about Amplify, they think about exactly these people. Not the many many VPs or even the CEO. The tellers are the face of the credit union, bottom line. Management is making many questionable decisions and the mentality is that the employees can come along or not. Good luck achieving anything without getting and keeping your employees on board and excited about the company and its future. Upper management acts like this is a top tier place with advantages over its competitors when they can't even keep their online banking up and running.

Advice to Management

Spend less time thinking about padding your retirement accounts and more time really thinking about the members and your employees instead of just giving it lip service.

Oct 16, 2014 – Sr. HR Generalist

Your input as a tenured team member is important, so thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very concerning when someone who has been with our organization as long as you have has ... More

A Change Will Do You Good? Well, Maybe Not.

Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Vision and Mission. At the core, it has a good foundation.

Cons

The environment that you're taught in initial training and shared during your interview exists in only that environment. In the retail centers themselves, the mentality that you are there working to live up to "People Helping People" is completely gone. Where lending used to be a more personal task, it's not been centralized to meet with the practices of the "industry". Isn't that why you work with a Credit Union so that you get the personal attention that you wouldn't get from other institutions? The CU continues to hire management/upper management that bring "fresh" ideas that take away from the practices that made the CU a valued institution for its members. Members are coming last. The top executives have been with the CU for years, but seem to have lost touch with team members. Where monthly/quarterly meetings with the Executive team were the standard, now the communication has been eliminated. Questions about changes to policy and procedure are viewed as a "rebel" action and will result in creating a target on your back as they work to eliminate anyone who would be causing an "uprising". If you are considering working for Amplify, please ask what the turnover rate is. They are "colorful" with their statistics, as they mention that several team members resign their positions. It is a practice of theirs to give an employee the option to resign or be terminated. They explain that resigning will help the team member in working to get a new position as they will not reveal the termination to any potential employers inquiring about their tenure at the CU.

Advice to Management

I'd say stop by a branch. Ask a MSR or a AMP to lunch, randomly, and ask them their thoughts. Take a look at the lending practices that you have instilled. Many of the new procedures that are instituted are not fully tested, and yet instead of speaking to those affected (at the branch level), mid-management massages the numbers and/or complaints of members. Stop hiring by the buddy system. You hire management from one institution, say a bank, and then there becomes a movement to hire management from that company. When that doesn't work out, you move on to another financial institution and do the same thing, fire current managers, hire new ones, and the cycle continues. Look at you staff that have been able to stick it out for potential leaders. A lot of talent has been lost in the last three years due to the constant change in management, management practices, and the change in the actual culture (not the one sold in the interview phase) that exists.

Aug 22, 2014 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience thus far with Amplify Credit Union. Your review provides us with valuable insight into your employment experience with us so far ... More

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers, hands down.

Cons

The company seems to be in a downwird spiral and management is doing all the wrong things to stop it. Benefits are being cut to "put us in line with industry standard", it's all about the bottom line. We've lost touch with our core values and we are now doing things because "everyone else is doing it". We laid off someone becuase of budget cuts, but yet we're on track to receive a profit sharing payout?

Advice to Management

Stop working toward your individual agendas and focus on the CU as a whole. Our primary reason for existence has been forgotten: our members. Treat your employees the way you would want them to treat your best customer. Aligning benefits with industry standards does not give us incentive to continue to work here when we can get the same thing somewhere else.

Aug 22, 2014 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. It’s important for us to hear from our current team members so that we can best understand the concerns that they have and address them directly. To ... More

When it was a credit union culture, it was great. Now- not so much.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amplify's trainers presents a wonderful outline of the culture the organization seeks to achieve.

Cons

The positive culture portrayed in training does not exist within the branches. It's an organization that is extremely clique-ish and catty. Turnover rate is very high. And the open door policy to discuss concerns or make suggestions for improvement is NOT REALLY open unless you belong to the clique. There has been a transition to more of a banking mentality than a credit union mentality over the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Revisit the purpose of a credit union and the culture training that is provided to your employees and seek to make that a reality. An organization that grows out of integrity earns a lot more respect than one that grows from pushing numbers.

8. Amplify is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful people and culture working together to build a great credit union.

Cons

We need more people to know about us...we have great service and products.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. this place is the best company to work for, its awesome

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

this place is the best company to work for, its awesome

Cons

needs some improvment in their systems

Advice to Management

this place is the best company to work for, its awesome

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The title says it all. I love AMPLIFY. I have been a member for 15+ years and with the credit union for almost 5 years total. AMPLIFY is a great place to work because of the PEOPLE you get to work with. This is a company that truly cares about its employees and treats them like real people not just a "company asset". Good Benefits in an age where benefits have gone by the wayside in the financial industry. AMPLIFY is truly member focused and each employee is empowered to be an advocate for our members. Furthermore, employees are ENCOURAGED to go above and beyond in service to our members. The ability to say "YES! I can do that for you" is wonderful.

Cons

Eliminating redundant positions/tasks is a necessary part of business. However, caution must be applied to make sure that the workload on individuals does not exceed more than one person can do. Regular reviews of workloads would help improve processes and improve employee morale.

Advice to Management

Continue to say thank you to your employees. It means so very much.

Upper Management Serves Up Zero-Tolerance, Profit-Driven Environment

Former Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products and services that the credit union offers and the service level of the staff.

Cons

When new management took the reins of the credit union in 2011, the mentality changed. Gone were the days of your local credit union doing all in can to serve it's membership and welcome to the corporate banking world of hidden fees and zero tolerance for employees. The accelerated process of credit union loans being sold to the banking industry strikes great fear in the hearts of longtime members. Turnover is outrageous and on the current path, expect either a corporitized bank dressed up as a local credit union or total failure and decline in production due to new management, new practices, and very low employee moral.

Advice to Management

Practice the culture that a credit union embodies, even if giving back takes a little more from your pockets.

RSS Feed </> Embed