Amplify Credit Union

2.8

Amplify Credit Union President & CEO Paul Trylko
Paul Trylko

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amplify is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Vice President Operations  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Austin, TX

Pros

Wonderful people and culture working together to build a great credit union.

Cons

We need more people to know about us...we have great service and products.

Keep up the good work!

A Change Will Do You Good? Well, Maybe Not.

Current Employee - Account Management Professional  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

Pros

Good Vision and Mission. At the core, it has a good foundation.

Cons

The environment that you're taught in initial training and shared during your interview exists in only that environment. In the retail centers themselves, the mentality that you are there working to live up to "People Helping People" is completely gone. Where lending used to be a more personal task, it's not been centralized to meet with the practices of the "industry". Isn't that why you work with a Credit Union so that you get the personal attention that you wouldn't get from other institutions?

The CU continues to hire management/upper management that bring "fresh" ideas that take away from the practices that made the CU a valued institution for its members. Members are coming last. The top executives have been with the CU for years, but seem to have lost touch with team members. Where monthly/quarterly meetings with the Executive team were the standard, now the communication has been eliminated. Questions about changes to policy and procedure are viewed as a "rebel" action and will result in creating a target on your back as they work to eliminate anyone who would be causing an "uprising".

If you are considering working for Amplify, please ask what the turnover rate is. They are "colorful" with their statistics, as they mention that several team members resign their positions. It is a practice of theirs to give an employee the option to resign or be terminated. They explain that resigning will help the team member in working to get a new position as they will not reveal the termination to any potential employers inquiring about their tenure at the CU.

I'd say stop by a branch. Ask a MSR or a AMP to lunch, randomly, and ask them their thoughts. Take a look at the lending practices that you have instilled. Many of the new procedures that are instituted are not fully tested, and yet instead of speaking to those affected (at the branch level), mid-management massages the numbers and/or complaints of members.

Stop hiring by the buddy system. You hire management from one institution, say a bank, and then there becomes a movement to hire management from that company. When that doesn't work out, you move on to another financial institution and do the same thing, fire current managers, hire new ones, and the cycle continues.

Look at you staff that have been able to stick it out for potential leaders. A lot of talent has been lost in the last three years due to the constant change in management, management practices, and the change in the actual culture (not the one sold in the interview phase) that exists.

Amplify Credit Union Response

Aug 22, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience thus far with Amplify Credit Union.
    Your review provides us with valuable insight into your employment experience with us so far
    ... More

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

My co-workers, hands down.

Cons

The company seems to be in a downwird spiral and management is doing all the wrong things to stop it. Benefits are being cut to "put us in line with industry standard", it's all about the bottom line. We've lost touch with our core values and we are now doing things because "everyone else is doing it".

We laid off someone becuase of budget cuts, but yet we're on track to receive a profit sharing payout?

Stop working toward your individual agendas and focus on the CU as a whole. Our primary reason for existence has been forgotten: our members.

Treat your employees the way you would want them to treat your best customer. Aligning benefits with industry standards does not give us incentive to continue to work here when we can get the same thing somewhere else.

Amplify Credit Union Response

Aug 22, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. It’s important for us to hear from our current team members so that we can best understand the concerns that they have and address them directly. To ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

When it was a credit union culture, it was great. Now- not so much.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Amplify's trainers presents a wonderful outline of the culture the organization seeks to achieve.

Cons

The positive culture portrayed in training does not exist within the branches. It's an organization that is extremely clique-ish and catty. Turnover rate is very high. And the open door policy to discuss concerns or make suggestions for improvement is NOT REALLY open unless you belong to the clique. There has been a transition to more of a banking mentality than a credit union mentality over the past couple of years.

Revisit the purpose of a credit union and the culture training that is provided to your employees and seek to make that a reality. An organization that grows out of integrity earns a lot more respect than one that grows from pushing numbers.

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Austin, TX

Pros

this place is the best company to work for, its awesome

Cons

needs some improvment in their systems

this place is the best company to work for, its awesome

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The title says it all. I love AMPLIFY. I have been a member for 15+ years and with the credit union for almost 5 years total. AMPLIFY is a great place to work because of the PEOPLE you get to work with. This is a company that truly cares about its employees and treats them like real people not just a "company asset". Good Benefits in an age where benefits have gone by the wayside in the financial industry.
     AMPLIFY is truly member focused and each employee is empowered to be an advocate for our members. Furthermore, employees are ENCOURAGED to go above and beyond in service to our members. The ability to say "YES! I can do that for you" is wonderful.

Cons

Eliminating redundant positions/tasks is a necessary part of business. However, caution must be applied to make sure that the workload on individuals does not exceed more than one person can do. Regular reviews of workloads would help improve processes and improve employee morale.

Continue to say thank you to your employees. It means so very much.

Upper Management Serves Up Zero-Tolerance, Profit-Driven Environment

Former Employee - Account Management Professional  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

Pros

The products and services that the credit union offers and the service level of the staff.

Cons

When new management took the reins of the credit union in 2011, the mentality changed. Gone were the days of your local credit union doing all in can to serve it's membership and welcome to the corporate banking world of hidden fees and zero tolerance for employees. The accelerated process of credit union loans being sold to the banking industry strikes great fear in the hearts of longtime members. Turnover is outrageous and on the current path, expect either a corporitized bank dressed up as a local credit union or total failure and decline in production due to new management, new practices, and very low employee moral.

Practice the culture that a credit union embodies, even if giving back takes a little more from your pockets.

Constantly Changing Atmosphere Makes for Challenging, Yet Exciting Ride

Current Employee - Account Management Professional  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

Pros

Excellent products and services; People helping people mentality; Decent hourly wage; Relaxed atmosphere; Community driven

Cons

Discouraging incentive program; Constant change in policies, procedures, and staffing

Continue on the path that you are currently on to harden the implemented changes and make them standard practice

Worked for Amplify Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!