Amplify Credit Union

2.8

Amplify Credit Union President & CEO Paul Trylko
Paul Trylko

Growing for the future!

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managers focused on developing their team. Internal promotions happen at Amplify!

Cons

Can be complacent in processed that are antiquated. Salary can be better.

Dec 29, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! After 5+ years with Amplify, you have really had the opportunity to make an assessment of what it is like to work here. Your insights into how we can improve our ... More

Good, secure place to work. Friendly coworkers

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time

Pros

Friendly people. Overall a good environment to be a part of. It's a smaller company, which makes for a more comfortable work place.

Cons

Been a smaller company, it is behind in certain areas and there are some growing pains as the company catches up to other larger businesses.

Oct 14, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your views about Amplify. Changes related to growth can be painful, especially since what worked for one organization may not work for another. We hope you will share your ... More

Amp

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union

Pros

Great ceo. Able to learn a lot. Good people to work with. Local and good products.

Cons

Too many hands touching the same thing. Lack of communication.

Oct 14, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. The two subjects you mention as cons are ones we are discussing in the Team Member Focus Groups with Paul, so they are definitely on the ... More

Avoid at all costs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As others have mentioned, Amplify used to be a good place to work. Over the past few years that has changed. I really can't think of anything to list as a pro of working there.

Cons

Everything that happens is solely for the benefit of upper management. Don't believe for a second that the best interests of the members are even given a passing thought. How many VPs/AVPs does it take to run a credit union? The number of people with these titles has exploded and they could care less about the people on the front lines. When members think about Amplify, they think about exactly these people. Not the many many VPs or even the CEO. The tellers are the face of the credit union, bottom line. Management is making many questionable decisions and the mentality is that the employees can come along or not. Good luck achieving anything without getting and keeping your employees on board and excited about the company and its future. Upper management acts like this is a top tier place with advantages over its competitors when they can't even keep their online banking up and running.

Spend less time thinking about padding your retirement accounts and more time really thinking about the members and your employees instead of just giving it lip service.

Oct 16, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Your input as a tenured team member is important, so thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is very concerning when someone who has been with our organization as long as you have has ... More

FASCIST MANAGEMENT

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Amplify Credit Union

Pros

my co-workers, training was good

Cons

This company has taken a 360 spin downward. Their style of being a "credit union" is no different than banking. At the end of the day it's only about the numbers and not about the member which conflicts with their "what's best for the member" mentality. Their "people helping people" is no longer implemented ethically. They integrate the words "referral goal" to sugar coat the fact that if you don't meet your numbers at the end of the month you're in trouble. Management is all over the place. I've never worked for such a poorly managed company. Nothing is coherent. They cycled through many managers within the short amount of time there, whether they were fired, quit, or moved. All of which had different policies, ideas, organizational skill (or lack thereof) and lack of leadership. They strive for team building yet management will tell you about another employee backstabbing you. How does that create a close knit team? Highest turnover rate I have ever seen in a company hands down. Constantly short staffed, never once was the branch fully staffed. Management goes on to blame the company's short handedness on employee's availability yet hire people with even limited availability. They make you feel as though you are taking part in giving your two cents about how you look at the company with surveys they send out, but nothing ever changes. Don't go standing your ground or having an opinion either. Disagree with your manager and it becomes a big brother house.

Advise to upper management (above branch level). Take time to talk to staff on the front lines (amp's, msr's). Management seems to not report everything that goes on in the branches or sugar coats them. Surveys don't do any good since they aren't all anonymous and putting something less and par on a survey will put you in direct line of fire. Go back to the fundamentals of what the CU was in the first place instead of trying to punch out so many accounts ;in a month and doing anything to hit that number. The playing favorites also needs to end.

Oct 16, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your opinion on your time at Amplify. Your feedback has been shared with upper management. Our CEO is taking time to talk to AMPs and MSRs, several of whom have and will be ... More

Beware: bankers housed here!

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training that you receive from the training department rocks! The orientation is wonderful and you get the sense of feeling like you are a part of something special. The trainers invest lots of time and energy perfecting their tools and resources to best prepare you for your position. Love that Amplify pays their employees Community Care hours meaning that you get paid your hourly wage to volunteer for a not-for-profit during business hours. Cross-training in the branch is wonderful! As a teller you can potentially learn to open and close a branch and other operational duties, audit negotiable instruments, learn valuable sales techniques, etc.

Cons

The transition from training to the actual work experience is subpar. Upper management continues to flex their muscles and introduce policies that don't make sense and aren't coherent with the culture and foundation of a credit union. Depending on which branch you are assigned, you will be subject to frequent overly cheerful mini pep rallies with your coworkers where cheers and chants are encouraged...seriously?! This is suppose to increase employee morale, but it feels like high school. You get the feeling that the management at Amplify desperately wants growth beyond their 7 or 8 branches, but they just don't know how to achieve this. Start with listening to the employees that interact with the members on a daily basis and promote the employees that have devoted years to your company. It's not hard to find there are more people that have only been with the company for a short period of time.

Beware, sales goals and quotas are heavily emphasized and micromanaged. If you aren't comfortable with sales then this company isn't for you. As bank managers find it harder to work for their employers they seek out credit unions and implement policies they once ran from. If you are amazing at politicking you'll be fine, but if you can't do the tap dance then it's likely you will be targeted. It's interesting that with the amount of turnover in the Retail branches, executives haven't investigated the matter closer. It costs a ton to hire an employee and I am sure they are loosing money over hasty firing practices.

Turning a blind eye to the changing culture and employee dissatisfaction won't help the problem.

Aug 22, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your experience working at Amplify. We appreciate hearing that your training was one of the highlights of your time with us, because our ... More

A Change Will Do You Good? Well, Maybe Not.

Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Management Professional in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Vision and Mission. At the core, it has a good foundation.

Cons

The environment that you're taught in initial training and shared during your interview exists in only that environment. In the retail centers themselves, the mentality that you are there working to live up to "People Helping People" is completely gone. Where lending used to be a more personal task, it's not been centralized to meet with the practices of the "industry". Isn't that why you work with a Credit Union so that you get the personal attention that you wouldn't get from other institutions?

The CU continues to hire management/upper management that bring "fresh" ideas that take away from the practices that made the CU a valued institution for its members. Members are coming last. The top executives have been with the CU for years, but seem to have lost touch with team members. Where monthly/quarterly meetings with the Executive team were the standard, now the communication has been eliminated. Questions about changes to policy and procedure are viewed as a "rebel" action and will result in creating a target on your back as they work to eliminate anyone who would be causing an "uprising".

If you are considering working for Amplify, please ask what the turnover rate is. They are "colorful" with their statistics, as they mention that several team members resign their positions. It is a practice of theirs to give an employee the option to resign or be terminated. They explain that resigning will help the team member in working to get a new position as they will not reveal the termination to any potential employers inquiring about their tenure at the CU.

I'd say stop by a branch. Ask a MSR or a AMP to lunch, randomly, and ask them their thoughts. Take a look at the lending practices that you have instilled. Many of the new procedures that are instituted are not fully tested, and yet instead of speaking to those affected (at the branch level), mid-management massages the numbers and/or complaints of members.

Stop hiring by the buddy system. You hire management from one institution, say a bank, and then there becomes a movement to hire management from that company. When that doesn't work out, you move on to another financial institution and do the same thing, fire current managers, hire new ones, and the cycle continues.

Look at you staff that have been able to stick it out for potential leaders. A lot of talent has been lost in the last three years due to the constant change in management, management practices, and the change in the actual culture (not the one sold in the interview phase) that exists.

Aug 22, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience thus far with Amplify Credit Union.
    Your review provides us with valuable insight into your employment experience with us so far
    ... More

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers, hands down.

Cons

The company seems to be in a downwird spiral and management is doing all the wrong things to stop it. Benefits are being cut to "put us in line with industry standard", it's all about the bottom line. We've lost touch with our core values and we are now doing things because "everyone else is doing it".

We laid off someone becuase of budget cuts, but yet we're on track to receive a profit sharing payout?

Stop working toward your individual agendas and focus on the CU as a whole. Our primary reason for existence has been forgotten: our members.

Treat your employees the way you would want them to treat your best customer. Aligning benefits with industry standards does not give us incentive to continue to work here when we can get the same thing somewhere else.

Aug 22, 2014Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. It’s important for us to hear from our current team members so that we can best understand the concerns that they have and address them directly. To ... More

Amplify Culture

I worked at Amplify Credit Union part-time

Pros

Very flexible in helping you find the position that best fits your skills.

Cons

Turnover of employees, mostly retail.

The culture was the best part of working at Amplify. Relationships first, then service seemed to be slipping as numbers became a huge focus.

Management is horrid

Former Employee - Account Management Professional in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Account Management Professional in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Amplify Credit Union full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The members are great and the only reason why I would show up to work everyday. I also enjoyed my fellow coworkers other than management.

Cons

I do not think there is enough room to describe all the cons. It is very political working there. I wish that the board would listen to the people that work the front line since we know more about what goes than management decides to report and make numbers look good.

Respect your employees especially those that have dedicated themselves to the front line for years. If you care about your employees you will listen to them and what they need. Being in management I understand you have to walk a fine line but I am true believer of treating people as your equals and not your grunt workers to produce numbers and make your branch look good.

Amplify Credit Union Photos