Amplify

Joel Klein

Great Company

Production Designer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat work culture and people. Fun work. Time-off policies

ConsOpportunity for growth, that is all.

A decent stepping stone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits
    Fun, start-up environment
    Perks and events

ConsManagement is spotty at best
    Personal growth is not really valued

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is difficult to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with working here. While the mission is admirable and the environment is acceptable, Amplify lacks fundamental leadership.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Huge Disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree soda. I met some nice people working there.

ConsThe department I worked in was toxic. Mainly because of the poor leadership. My advice is to stay away, unless you know for sure that the department you would work for does not embrace dysfunction.

Human resources is ineffective and terrible.

I've noted the onslaught of positive review over the past month, it's a bit perplexing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a close, hard look at who you are placing in charge of your teams and more junior employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm happy when Monday rolls around

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros* Smart people
    * Good work/life balance
    * Meaningful work
    * Continuous improvement
    * Independent teams
    * Pace of work is sustainable
    * Bike friendly (showers, secure parking)

Cons* IT Operations is lacking the software developers they need with software defined infrastructure.
    * "Corporate" is synonym for someone is making your life hard for no good reason.
    * We have a hard time retiring old product lines.
    * Benefits are very stingy. The 401k match is laughable. The medical plans are frighteningly bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe industry means the compensation will never be as good as in finance or advertising and this means you need to hit almost all the other workplace desirability metrics dead on. This means not only hiring smart people but letting go of the hires that didn't work out. And it means actively working to get rid of product lines no one wants to work on. Especially unprofitable ones, supporting a Palm Pilot application in 2014 is nuts. It means remaining independent of news corp management by letting them know that interference will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

It was GREAT until..........

Classroom Technology Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay for the area
    Very nice people from different offices/areas
    Hours were good

ConsConstant teleconferencing daily
    Cronyism
    Nepotism
    Job ended abruptly due to HORRIBLE tablet product
    Management wasn't upfront about decisions being made that affected lower level employee's
    There is a bad culture of "We don't know what's going on or what is going to happen" in regard to their product
    Constant software updates to resolve issues only to create another issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementMgmt should be upfront about what is going on with their employee's especially when it affects their current or future employment.

Good company, fairly solid engineering

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe engineering staff is solid as a whole, good people, enjoyable work days. It obviously varies somewhat by team, but all are pretty strong. They restructured the career paths/titles/job descriptions in mid-2014 and now it feels like there is a growth path. The group I was in aggressively pushed people they identified as having potential into new roles as available. This company also has a very good work-life balance and really wants to help fix education.

ConsThe perks are lacking, as in there had been effectively none. It was just starting to change when I left (mid-2014). Salary is the same, hasn't been up to market, but they're making a slow effort to raise pay. As Amplify is now owned by News Corp, there is a feeling of levels of management above the average engineer reaching into the sky and just not providing any value.

There is a very lenient work from home policy that I think hurts team cohesion at times. It was not unusual for me to be the only one in the office for one of my teams.

While the engineering is solid, it's about 1/5th of the company in terms of people and sometimes I think the company forgets that this is a technology company and engineering is not always front-and-center.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is not a sense of vision for a company that really needs it to succeed. As a regular employee, I really never knew what the company was trying to accomplish in the short and long term. Just wa

Great job in a challenging industry

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsI've been working here for years, and am deeply sentimentally connected with the people and projects here. Take my review with a grain of salt in light of that, but this is honestly the best job I've ever had.

I started out during Wireless Generation times, as a slightly more than junior developer, and have personally had a lot of growth opportunities.

The most important pros:
    - The people. There is a HUGE amount of talent here, and it is no surprise that we constantly get poached on by the likes of Google and Amazon. The crew here is highly educated, very diverse, and passionate.
    - The mission. There is a deep sense of caring about our mission here. When we get it right, we *really* get it right. When we get it wrong, we are quick to recognize it.
    - Flexibility. Yes, you can run errands. Yes, you can choose your hours (within reason). Yes, you get to work from home
    - Technology. Sure, we have a lot of tech debt (see cons), but compared to other education companies, we are certainly cutting edge.
    - Introspection. We've gone through some hard times, and change definitely comes hard to any company, regardless of size. But we have managed great change in the past 6-12 months, including really overhauling how we handle IT management.

ConsThere is no denying that we've had growing pains, transitioning from WG to Amplify, and beyond. We've also had a high turnover, with some very long lived employees moving on. A lot of that is sort of to be expected, that's just how the tech industry operates, but there are specific things that the company needs to work on.

- Tech debt and old products that are no longer worth it. It's hard to prioritize, because customers are constantly demanding new things, but the technical teams are certainly aware and trying to cut back the technical debt. Management needs to be more fearless about cutting old projects loose.

- Not all teams are equal. I read a lot of negative reviews here, and I can pretty much tell where they are from. Some teams have had a lot more turnover than others, and don't seem to have the same focus and leadership of the happier teams. Thankfully, the team leaders do speak to each other and try to address this discrepancy, but I have to admit I would not want to join certain teams.

- Salary. Education doesn't pay as much as banking or advertising, this is just a fact. It's a much more minor con that I would have thought, though, but it does kind of suck when a big player just lays about with high-paying offers and steals our best people. The same big players know that we breed quality developers, and having us on the resume is highly desirable.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut dead projects.

Communicate more often and more frankly.

Try to help the less happier teams recreate the success of the others. Really focus on that, because one bad team makes us all look bad (because that is where the turnover happens).

Reorganize Information Security to be a part of Engineering.

Great place, but need some longer term planing.

Product Owner (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsGreat office culture, but luck continuity for more senior employees, based on the project based business model. Maybe is time to diversify a bit.

Consproject based work assignments
    everything short term and temporaly

Advice to Senior ManagementMust start longer term resource planing,
    should diversify development areas.

Passionate about the mission of providing best education to the Children, with ample growth opportunity for employees

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Pros- Opportunities and encouragement to work with latest tools in technology
    - Mindset to contribute and use open source technologies
    - Smart people
    - Flexible work hours

Cons- Needs more fun activities
    - More emphasis and constant reminder about Company's mission is needed

Great tech culture

Prosgreat people to work with
    good work/life balance
    interesting projects
    focus on technology and quality
    noble cause

Consperks aren't that great but seems like management started paying attention to that
    not many opportunities for career growth

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into people you already have.

Worked for Amplify? Contribute to the Community!