Ampush

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Jesse Pujji

A great SF | NY Ad Tech startup

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorked with several startups and through my friends know about many other startups.
    Ampush is an AMAZING company in more than one way!
    Founders and senior management – the 3 founders are business savvy and visionaries.
    Their level of collaboration and trust in each other enables the company to move forward quickly.
    They strongly believe in the company’s culture and they invest in the growth of the employees.
    Employees – that is the best part about Ampush! Lots of super smart employees with a can do attitude.
    An awesome collaborative culture, and many career growth opportunities.

ConsThe hours are long – as in any other successful startup, but the company does take good care of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire top notch employees,
    it is a challenge when a company is scaling rapidly,
    although being a magnet company - Ampush should be able to do it.

Great people, good concept, poor executive execution

ProsSome really great co-workers, an interesting and growing industry, and some nice start-up perks (free lunch, beer, etc.)

ConsFounders, who essentially make up the executive team, are way out of their depth. From their appointed leader, the CEO, on down, a lack of ability to effectively, plan, commit and communicate, fueled by an overall lack of experience and unwillingness to bring in more effective experienced leadership and coupled with a lack of outside funding, has consistently crippled the company's ability to take advantage of the opportunity out there.
    Poor recruiting and turnover of technology and sales executives (on second rounds of CTO and CRO already after horribly long recruitment cycles) have led to disjointed sales strategy and management (constant 'pivoting' of what the company is and is selling) and a complete lack of technology to support media teams.
    This forces the workload onto a skilled but under-compensated youthful media management team and group of devoted early employees, leading to overall employee dissatisfaction and turnover.

It also doesn't help that either in reality or just through perception, the Founder appear to be motivated more by personal gains and notoriety than rewarding the employees who help them build the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind an investment partner yesterday, properly capitalize the company, and leverage this partner to bring in more effective leadership to ensure the company has a residual value.

Employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome perks, benefits and culture. Great space and location. Amazing people who are humble, helpful and down to earth. Leadership team is solid. Very knowledgeable of industry and space.

ConsNo work/life balance. Too much work. Engineering tool can be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to scale and make the hard decisions. Continue to keep in mind that your employees are the most important part of the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard, play hard (with smart people)

Media Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros--You are given ownership and exposure from your first week.
    --You are surrounded by extremely smart, driven, entrepreneurial, and fun people.
    --Internal decisions are made very transparent.
    --Despite the rapid growth, you still have the ability to wear more than one hat and get involved in side projects.
    --Everyone's ideas are taken seriously, no matter your role in the company (entrepreneurship is encouraged).

ConsWe are still in the midst of becoming a true technology company. Ampush hires extremely smart people and is growing very aggressively, but often, the technology cannot keep up, inhibiting our ability to perform to our full potential. While this often leads to much frustration, it also allows for out-of-the-box thinking and problem solving, ensuring that potentially redundant aspects of the job remain fresh and exciting.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, make sure you remain true to the start-upy culture. The founders already do a good job of this, but make sure you continue to acknowledge that the company is only as good as its employees.

Great Company, Great Colleagues, Great Experience

(Current Employee)

ProsThe culture at Ampush is one of the company's strongest pros. It's one of empowerment and autonomy, where people are regularly given opportunities to "punch above their weight class". Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder. Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.

ConsThe main con is inexperience, this is mainly due to the fact that the company skews younger, which can lead to a sense of re-inventing the wheel at times. The flip side of this con, is this creates a very participatory environment where everyone builds a solution together.

Ampush isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, be long on initiative, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the bar high and maintain culture as you scale.

Lots to learn, so little time

ProsGreat environment, from cool offices to a close-knit, spirited culture.

Incredibly smart people, all of which are hungry and driven. This leads to a lot of hustle and progress.

Compensation, bonuses, and perks are great.

ConsThings break (as expected at a young, fast-paced startup) and this can be overwhelming, leading to a minor sense of "overwork" and "running on a treadmill" for a select few.

Unfortunately, negativity can be poisonous, but the company knows how to look forward and makes plenty of room for the ballers to continue to grow and win. Many success stories over the past three years, and more than many brewing at this time.

Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement.

Lead Designer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking here is like working somewhere else X5. You will gain great knowledge and experience that it will catapult you to the next level in your career. The people that you work with are incredibly smart and talented. You are pretty much expected to take rein on things with not too much direction, but from a learning perspective, being thrown in an environment like that is huge. Ampush's culture is one of the strongest I've seen, but it is also a young culture so a lot of the activities are geared to what you probably were doing in your 20s.

ConsI came into a very early start up environment and over time I got burned out. The deadlines put on me were non-stop to the point where I felt like I was more of a machine than a contributing member of the team. My team and I were not really given a chance to go through a proper design process, which is okay for some projects, but for others it was desperately needed. An example of this was turning out comps for a major project and only having a couple of days to get them a hi-fi mock for a brand new product. Another example is, we were brought in on projects at the last minute and expected to crank something out by EOD, and we get copy that doesn't necessarily work for the format they were requesting it to be in. As a result, final projects were not done in as high of a quality, as they should be, which can really hurt a growing brand. This, combined with long hours (10-12 is considered normal working hours for them), and not a lot of room to unplug and reset, lead me to start looking for other opportunities elsewhere. They are pretty conservative about their promotions, and it can be challenging if you don't perfectly fit the mold they are looking for, and there are times where you will need to be your own advocate, without forcing it on upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better work/life balance is needed than the environment that was in place when I was there. Establish better processes, where things are not constantly thrown on you at the last minute, to allow for the best possible product to be put out. Really listen to your employees when they are unhappy and keep checking in with them to ensure their needs are met (especially if you want to keep them). Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product that you constantly brag about.

Great Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a fun place to work with a lot of cool people who care about what they're doing. Definitely a good experience.

ConsWhen I worked there they were growing fast. The growing pains resulted in occasional miscommunication or disorganization.

Technology stack is a mess

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosinteresting space, nice office, young people

Conspolitics,worst technology stack which lead to lot of technical debt

Fast Paced Startup Environment focused around employee growth

Software Architect (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAbility to grow based on merit based environment. Lots of social activities and team building. Founders are always at work. Lots of bright people.

ConsLack of experience in technical areas lead to a immature product line. Also sometimes lack of experience at top to give clear focus and direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing the company by hiring bright people and keep core values

Worked for Ampush? Contribute to the Community!