Ampush Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.9

Jesse Pujji

HR has no clues...need more focus on development and people

I have been working at Ampush full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented co-workers, the peer support at Ampush is amazing
    Collaboration, leadership genuinely cares about new ideas and team work. Great job on this
    Growing business - fun to work at a place that is doing well

Cons

Agree with another recent post, disappointing HR focus and leadership. Ampush has not done a good job motivating their talent to do their best work. Need more on-going recognition (small or big) as people are working their butts off.
    Poor performance review process. Should focus on strength-based approach vs just purely metrics driven. HR leadership not approachable but political

Focus more on mentor-ship and on-going encouragement.

Psychotic HR leadership, great co-workers

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart and hard-working people, they are passionate about our business
    Founders are open to new ideas
    Great learning opportunities

Cons

HR is rude and difficult to work with
    Long hours, limited growth opportunities

Bring in someone who is more caring to change our culture

Love this company!

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is super smart, nice and collaborative. No egos and culture is fantastic. Management goes out of their way to make us happy and it shows. Culture activities and perks are much better than most companies and startups.

Cons

Work load is super heavy. Always short staff and not enough resources. But if you ask for help, people will help which makes the stress tolerable.

Hire the Engineer Head and hold the engineering group accountable. Stop giving them kudos for things they have not delivered!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great SF | NY Ad Tech startup

Current Employee - Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Worked with several startups and through my friends know about many other startups.
    Ampush is an AMAZING company in more than one way!
    Founders and senior management – the 3 founders are business savvy and visionaries.
    Their level of collaboration and trust in each other enables the company to move forward quickly.
    They strongly believe in the company’s culture and they invest in the growth of the employees.
    Employees – that is the best part about Ampush! Lots of super smart employees with a can do attitude.
    An awesome collaborative culture, and many career growth opportunities.

Cons

The hours are long – as in any other successful startup, but the company does take good care of the employees.

Continue to hire top notch employees,
    it is a challenge when a company is scaling rapidly,
    although being a magnet company - Ampush should be able to do it.

Great people, good concept, poor executive execution

I have been working at Ampush for more than a year

Pros

Some really great co-workers, an interesting and growing industry, and some nice start-up perks (free lunch, beer, etc.)

Cons

Founders, who essentially make up the executive team, are way out of their depth. From their appointed leader, the CEO, on down, a lack of ability to effectively, plan, commit and communicate, fueled by an overall lack of experience and unwillingness to bring in more effective experienced leadership and coupled with a lack of outside funding, has consistently crippled the company's ability to take advantage of the opportunity out there.
    Poor recruiting and turnover of technology and sales executives (on second rounds of CTO and CRO already after horribly long recruitment cycles) have led to disjointed sales strategy and management (constant 'pivoting' of what the company is and is selling) and a complete lack of technology to support media teams.
    This forces the workload onto a skilled but under-compensated youthful media management team and group of devoted early employees, leading to overall employee dissatisfaction and turnover.

It also doesn't help that either in reality or just through perception, the Founder appear to be motivated more by personal gains and notoriety than rewarding the employees who help them build the company.

Find an investment partner yesterday, properly capitalize the company, and leverage this partner to bring in more effective leadership to ensure the company has a residual value.

Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome perks, benefits and culture. Great space and location. Amazing people who are humble, helpful and down to earth. Leadership team is solid. Very knowledgeable of industry and space.

Cons

No work/life balance. Too much work. Engineering tool can be better.

Continue to scale and make the hard decisions. Continue to keep in mind that your employees are the most important part of the business.

Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement.

Former Employee - Lead Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here is like working somewhere else X5. You will gain great knowledge and experience that it will catapult you to the next level in your career. The people that you work with are incredibly smart and talented. You are pretty much expected to take rein on things with not too much direction, but from a learning perspective, being thrown in an environment like that is huge. Ampush's culture is one of the strongest I've seen, but it is also a young culture so a lot of the activities are geared to what you probably were doing in your 20s.

Cons

I came into a very early start up environment and over time I got burned out. The deadlines put on me were non-stop to the point where I felt like I was more of a machine than a contributing member of the team. My team and I were not really given a chance to go through a proper design process, which is okay for some projects, but for others it was desperately needed. An example of this was turning out comps for a major project and only having a couple of days to get them a hi-fi mock for a brand new product. Another example is, we were brought in on projects at the last minute and expected to crank something out by EOD, and we get copy that doesn't necessarily work for the format they were requesting it to be in. As a result, final projects were not done in as high of a quality, as they should be, which can really hurt a growing brand. This, combined with long hours (10-12 is considered normal working hours for them), and not a lot of room to unplug and reset, lead me to start looking for other opportunities elsewhere. They are pretty conservative about their promotions, and it can be challenging if you don't perfectly fit the mold they are looking for, and there are times where you will need to be your own advocate, without forcing it on upper management.

A better work/life balance is needed than the environment that was in place when I was there. Establish better processes, where things are not constantly thrown on you at the last minute, to allow for the best possible product to be put out. Really listen to your employees when they are unhappy and keep checking in with them to ensure their needs are met (especially if you want to keep them). Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product that you constantly brag about.

Work hard, play hard (with smart people)

Current Employee - Media Analyst
    Current Employee - Media Analyst

I have been working at Ampush full-time for less than a year

Pros

--You are given ownership and exposure from your first week.
    --You are surrounded by extremely smart, driven, entrepreneurial, and fun people.
    --Internal decisions are made very transparent.
    --Despite the rapid growth, you still have the ability to wear more than one hat and get involved in side projects.
    --Everyone's ideas are taken seriously, no matter your role in the company (entrepreneurship is encouraged).

Cons

We are still in the midst of becoming a true technology company. Ampush hires extremely smart people and is growing very aggressively, but often, the technology cannot keep up, inhibiting our ability to perform to our full potential. While this often leads to much frustration, it also allows for out-of-the-box thinking and problem solving, ensuring that potentially redundant aspects of the job remain fresh and exciting.

As the company continues to grow, make sure you remain true to the start-upy culture. The founders already do a good job of this, but make sure you continue to acknowledge that the company is only as good as its employees.

Great Company, Great Colleagues, Great Experience

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

The culture at Ampush is one of the company's strongest pros. It's one of empowerment and autonomy, where people are regularly given opportunities to "punch above their weight class". Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder. Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.

Cons

The main con is inexperience, this is mainly due to the fact that the company skews younger, which can lead to a sense of re-inventing the wheel at times. The flip side of this con, is this creates a very participatory environment where everyone builds a solution together.

Ampush isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, be long on initiative, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard.

Keep the bar high and maintain culture as you scale.

Lots to learn, so little time

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

Great environment, from cool offices to a close-knit, spirited culture.

Incredibly smart people, all of which are hungry and driven. This leads to a lot of hustle and progress.

Compensation, bonuses, and perks are great.

Cons

Things break (as expected at a young, fast-paced startup) and this can be overwhelming, leading to a minor sense of "overwork" and "running on a treadmill" for a select few.

Unfortunately, negativity can be poisonous, but the company knows how to look forward and makes plenty of room for the ballers to continue to grow and win. Many success stories over the past three years, and more than many brewing at this time.

Worked for Ampush? Contribute to the Community!