Ampush

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
4.1

Jesse Pujji

Work hard, play hard (with smart people)

Current Employee - Media Analyst

I have been working at Ampush full-time (less than a year)

Pros

--You are given ownership and exposure from your first week.
    --You are surrounded by extremely smart, driven, entrepreneurial, and fun people.
    --Internal decisions are made very transparent.
    --Despite the rapid growth, you still have the ability to wear more than one hat and get involved in side projects.
    --Everyone's ideas are taken seriously, no matter your role in the company (entrepreneurship is encouraged).

Cons

We are still in the midst of becoming a true technology company. Ampush hires extremely smart people and is growing very aggressively, but often, the technology cannot keep up, inhibiting our ability to perform to our full potential. While this often leads to much frustration, it also allows for out-of-the-box thinking and problem solving, ensuring that potentially redundant aspects of the job remain fresh and exciting.

As the company continues to grow, make sure you remain true to the start-upy culture. The founders already do a good job of this, but make sure you continue to acknowledge that the company is only as good as its employees.

Great Company, Great Colleagues, Great Experience

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

The culture at Ampush is one of the company's strongest pros. It's one of empowerment and autonomy, where people are regularly given opportunities to "punch above their weight class". Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder. Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.

Cons

The main con is inexperience, this is mainly due to the fact that the company skews younger, which can lead to a sense of re-inventing the wheel at times. The flip side of this con, is this creates a very participatory environment where everyone builds a solution together.

Ampush isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, be long on initiative, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard.

Keep the bar high and maintain culture as you scale.

Great Place

I worked at Ampush

Pros

It's a fun place to work with a lot of cool people who care about what they're doing. Definitely a good experience.

Cons

When I worked there they were growing fast. The growing pains resulted in occasional miscommunication or disorganization.

Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement.

Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working here is like working somewhere else X5. You will gain great knowledge and experience that it will catapult you to the next level in your career. The people that you work with are incredibly smart and talented. You are pretty much expected to take rein on things with not too much direction, but from a learning perspective, being thrown in an environment like that is huge. Ampush's culture is one of the strongest I've seen, but it is also a young culture so a lot of the activities are geared to what you probably were doing in your 20s.

Cons

I came into a very early start up environment and over time I got burned out. The deadlines put on me were non-stop to the point where I felt like I was more of a machine than a contributing member of the team. My team and I were not really given a chance to go through a proper design process, which is okay for some projects, but for others it was desperately needed. An example of this was turning out comps for a major project and only having a couple of days to get them a hi-fi mock for a brand new product. Another example is, we were brought in on projects at the last minute and expected to crank something out by EOD, and we get copy that doesn't necessarily work for the format they were requesting it to be in. As a result, final projects were not done in as high of a quality, as they should be, which can really hurt a growing brand. This, combined with long hours (10-12 is considered normal working hours for them), and not a lot of room to unplug and reset, lead me to start looking for other opportunities elsewhere. They are pretty conservative about their promotions, and it can be challenging if you don't perfectly fit the mold they are looking for, and there are times where you will need to be your own advocate, without forcing it on upper management.

A better work/life balance is needed than the environment that was in place when I was there. Establish better processes, where things are not constantly thrown on you at the last minute, to allow for the best possible product to be put out. Really listen to your employees when they are unhappy and keep checking in with them to ensure their needs are met (especially if you want to keep them). Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product that you constantly brag about.

Technology stack is a mess

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time

Pros

interesting space, nice office, young people

Cons

politics,worst technology stack which lead to lot of technical debt

Fast Paced Startup Environment focused around employee growth

Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to grow based on merit based environment. Lots of social activities and team building. Founders are always at work. Lots of bright people.

Cons

Lack of experience in technical areas lead to a immature product line. Also sometimes lack of experience at top to give clear focus and direction.

Keep growing the company by hiring bright people and keep core values

Less than ideal experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time

Pros

I worked with some really cool people. Our team cared about each other and embodied the company value 'win as a team'

Cons

The hours can be very long and the stress levels are high, depending on which department you work in. Management was completely abysmal. There was zero mentorship, few learning opportunities, and ineffective feedback channels. Career opportunities in the company are opaque. Promotions felt very political. Many people are unhappy.

Treat your employees better. You hire extremely intelligent people and fail to nurture their happiness and talents. Do not sell people the startup dream if career progression is as slow as it is. Hire more women.

Fast paced, flexible, smart people

I have been working at Ampush full-time

Pros

Start up culture, work hard to make you successful

Cons

You're expected to bridge the gap for foundational issues with man hours, which leads to some high stress weeks, although it's tempered with low stress ones.

Ad ops will eventually have to be automated

Great Atmosphere, Promising Company

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership, smart people, fun atmosphere, good work-life balance, great outlook

Cons

Like any fast growing start up, Ampush has experienced a few growing pains but the future is very promising.