Amscot Financial Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.8

Amscot Financial CEO Ian MacKechnie Sr.
Ian MacKechnie Sr.

Pros
  • Very good pay considering you don't need a college degree (in 9 reviews)

• Great starting pay without a college degree (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no sick days and you will most likely work holidays (in 13 reviews)

• work long hours, no sick time, work every day first week of the month (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard Work Pays Off

Former Employee - Branch Co Leader  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Co Leader in Orlando, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn how to run a business. Promotions come from within. Great starting pay without a college degree.

Cons

Worst benefits package I have ever seen. No sick time, awful health benefits. Long hours.

Better treatment of employees

SIMPLY THE WORST PLACE TO WORK FOR!

Former Employee - Assistant Leader  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Leader in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing good is the salary.

Cons

EVERYTHING! THIS COMPANY DOESN'T RESPECT THEIR WORKERS!

Your life will be over and destroyed working for these people. No breaks, no lunch, no sick time, unaffordable health care, forced double shifts, and when your done with your double shift they have the nerve to hand you a broom and mop and other cleaning supplies and make you clean the whole place before your go home. The leave this out when they interview you and describe the job to you. They always take the side of the customer. Very unfair to workers. I was fired for getting a customer complaint from a customer that used to come into the branch and be very rude to the employees and fight with his wife until she was in tears asking us to call the police for her. This customer came into the branch paid off a cash advance with 300 singles through them down on the counter and said to me do I have a problem with that?. I continued the transaction and was polite and after he made a customer complaint I was fired. I worked like a dog for this company and was thrown away like a piece of garbage! I was very hard working, reliable, and really gave this company my all. I put up with so much crap just because I have a family to support and was still fired over a customer complaint. LEARN TO TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER, LISTEN TO THEM, RESPECT THEM, DON'T BE SO QUICK TO FIRE THEM!

FSA

Current Employee - Fsa  in  Pinellas Park, FL
    Current Employee - Fsa in Pinellas Park, FL

I have been working at Amscot Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have a fair starting pay

Cons

I lost my job today because a week ago i took , what i perceived to be , a confidential NEW HIRE survey. The recruiter nor the trainer disclosed the FSA role in its entirety. They casually omitted the part about having to sweep, mop, clean windows, and TOILETS .
    I am a team player and never refused the duties assigned. But a little notice would have been appreciated. Well i voiced just that on a survey and was called and fired VIA PHONE CALL !

Amscot tends to hire the best at loser jobs. My Branch Leader previously worked at a supermarket for 5 years, my asst manager worked as a waitress at a local pizzeria for 3 years. Great ppl , but ppl that are drinking the Amscot Kool aide because they won't find that kind of pay any where else. I feel that Amscot does this to control ppl.

Well , they hired the wrong person in me. College educated with a lot of real world experience. I just happen to be in-between jobs and chose Amscot for its hire starting pay while continuing to interview for a better suited job.

And if you are wondering , i passed each test with a 93 or better and was complimented several times for my work ethic. I lost my job because i shared my views on what can be better.

WAKE UP !
    long hours and you are stuck behind a glass wall. The reasoning is ''security'' . well i worked at two other banks that handled about the same about of cash and tellers and bankers came and went on their respective lunch breaks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice management

I worked at Amscot Financial

Pros

You learn a lot about the financial system

Cons

Though rules, long work hours

Worst Job I Have Ever Had-Don't Trust The Recruiter

Former Employee - Co-Leader  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Co-Leader in Miami, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good starting pay, benefits, guaranteed full time, quick promotions

Cons

The problem with quick promotions is that people who aren't really meant to become "store managers" end up running stores. Every branch does things their own way so, once you've gotten used to one way of doing things, they move you to another branch with a totally different way of doing things. You have to wait a YEAR before you get benefits (which I've never heard of before as a full time employee). No sick days, no vacation days (until after a year). If you have a family (or have a life, for that matter) this is a terrible job. No work/life balance; they expect you to drop everything for the company. 16-hour long shifts. That' not a joke. You really do work 16 hours straight with barely a break to sit down. If you're desperate for a job and are a quick learner, go for it. If you want a career and don't want to feel abused by your job, I'd stay clear and get a job somewhere else.

Make visits to places outside of Tampa and talk to employees privately about how they really feel- most of them will agree with what I have to say. I've had Branch Leaders say they secretly felt like this, but didn't leave because they were branch leaders already and didn't have to deal with it. Truly train your branch leaders. They need to know more than just how to sell; they need to be LEADERS. I'm not a "bitter person" who didn't make it past training. I made it past the fourth week. I've worked there for a bit of time now. But I left because your branch leaders go by their own rules; not yours. Monitor the way your branches are run. Customers are complaining about extremely rude branches to other branches. We encouraged customers to avoid the rude branches; that's how bad they are! You're doing great now, but if you left this behavior continue, they will not bother with you anymore and will simply wait in line at their bank.

Management will throw you under the bus to save themselves.

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent starting pay, benefits, paid holidays.

Cons

Long shifts, rude customers, no lunch break, corporate doesn't care about it's employees. Will fire you without any reason, can't be friends with co workers.

Stop throwing fsa's under the bus to save yourself

very informative

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate  in  Tamarac, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Tamarac, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

training is continuous and have to have a pass of very, very very high grade

Cons

you have to be the best of the best, best, best to work there

be the best

Tax preparation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy money to be made on the side.

Cons

There was no work to be done.

Pay your employees a little more. Some of the people I worked with didn't take the job seriously.

Imagine Prison With Flat Screen Tvs and Plush Mattresses

Former Employee - Financial Service Associate  in  Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Service Associate in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice starting wage, full-time employment, benefits, promotes within, and paid training.

Cons

Shifts may sometimes be up to 10 hours, very strict company policies, open 365 days a year, high turnover rate. You may experience sporadic scheduling. Once you're in for your shift, you're locked in until you're shift is over. You have to bring your lunch or have it delivered since you can't leave. Depending on the branch design, customers may or may not see you eating lunch, which is a bit awkward if it's really busy. This job literally drained me.

They pretend as though "managers" don't exist in this company. They instead call them "branch leaders" or "leader on duty"...it's ok if you guys have to get of your stools and do physical work.

Amscot is a fast paced, strict but overall very fair employer.

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Amscot Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent corporate culture, Good Pay, Fair and clear about what they expect, Good people to work with, Good opportunities to advance.

Cons

Zero flexibility in schedule, no leaving during shift, very strict about everything, high pressure for meeting sales numbers.

Over 200 locations in 24 years they are obviously doing something right. The work/life balance is really the only thing they could improve.

Worked for Amscot Financial? Contribute to the Community!