Amtrak Reviews

Reset
3.3
Amtrak President & CEO Joseph H. Boardman
Joseph H. Boardman

Pros
  • Good benefits (for those who care about such things) (in 9 reviews)

• Free train travel for employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes away from home longer than scheduled (in 3 reviews)

• Many employees seemed fine with just avoiding passengers and conflict during these situations, exacerbating the situation (in 4 reviews)

1. Amtrak Electrician

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Pension, low stress, workload

Cons

Work can be repetitive, same thing every day

2. Overall a good place to be.

Former Employee - Assistant Conductor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Conductor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay.
    Good people to work with.

Cons

Not a work life balance environment.

Assistant Passenger Conductor

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid $15.75/hour while in Delaware for 8 weeks of training also you get $25.00 a day for food. Once you graduate and go back to your crew base - you continue the $15.75/hour till you get 'marked up' (you are able to work the route or routes having learned the physical characteristics and unique aspects) - after that your pay goes up to 75% of your positions pay scale (around $19.00 or so) then you get a 5% increase every year for 5 years till you get to the full 100% pay for your job. Of course if you move up to full 'conductor' your pay goes up again.

Cons

Normally you start on the 'extra board' - where you are on call 6 days a week (one day a week is your designated day off) as long as you answer your phone for a job you get paid 40 hours each week. If you don't work when they call or don't answer a call - then you only get what you worked during that week.

5. Good company

Current Employee - Director in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Amtrak (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Good people that treat all employees like family. Very good travel benefits.

Cons

There is always a risk off budget cuts.

OBS

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Great place to work, wonderful people, excellent benefits, plenty of overtime opportunities, travel

Cons

Amtrak is its own worst enemy. Management lacks leadership and the nepotism is absurd. The best candidates get passed over for whoever is "next in line" which does not allow amtrak to evolve. Regardless of your career path before joining amtrak you will be presumed to be a newborn

Advice to Management

Give your talented workers a chance to revitalize your company. The abundant number of opportunities within the company are misleading as many jobs are bookmarked for predetermined individuals

7. Rsa

Current Employee - Customer Service in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Amtrak part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours , decent pay

Cons

So many broken workstations , it's not what you know it's who you know

8. CSR

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Amtrak has great retirement and you will make good money.

Cons

You will get no support from management. Dealing with the public all day every day can get pretty rough. I just got tired of being called names and getting verbally abused by passengers

9. RSA Agent

Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Phila, PA

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Flexible time schedule
    Government discounts
    Advancement opportunities after 1st year

Cons

Long hours.
    Training is very hard
    Little to no breaks
    Management isn't helpful
    Pay is not good

Safe to Unsafer

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will never go hungry! The only thing excellent is the pay and Amtrak is trying to limit that as well. Working for a union has its advantages, our BLE contract is very lucrative. However, it s easy to see how it is getting worse instead of better. New negotiations only strive to keep up with times so what you have now is most likely the best you will ever see. Union officials only work to get a $ increase and could care less about benefits. It is hard to see where the union dues go and most of the time I wonder whether they are working for the company or the union members.

Cons

The biggest con is the work/life balance. You will make good money, but have no life. Most of the people that love Amtrak either love trains, love money, or they don't realize how terrible the company is because unfortunately they are not well educated and cannot find a better job. Let's face it...not many companies exist that pay a fair wage. Now, since the work/life balance is so terrible (long hours for good pay), it is easy to see how unsafe Amtrak really runs. The people running the trains have little rest and Amtrak only cares about being within federal regulation. The feds only do something when they need to and it is bare minimum to be able to tell Congress something was done. The more responsibility you have at Amtrak the more you realize how terrible it is and how we are going from "safe" to unsafer everyday. For those applying, your best bet is to take a job with minimal responsibility...they still make good money with their contracts (keep your eyes closed and you won't see the madness).

Advice to Management

Not sure how management sleeps at night, but it must help to know those big bonus checks keep rolling into the bank accounts. I won't bs you and say something can be done to change all this nonsense like you tell us you have our best interest by cutting rest periods and saying we want our employees to have a better quality of life. The only thing current employees can do is hope for a change in executive leadership, but that would still most likely do little and let's face it Congress has just as many problems. Good Luck!

11. Conductor

Current Employee - Conductor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Conductor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good company pay and benefit wise. Usual BS as far as gripes about upper management, but that is everywhere. Usually a fun job!

Cons

When you're first hired, don't count on having any type of predictable schedule or life for that matter. Everything is seniority based, takes a while to get a schedule, let alone one that you desire.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees! Whether T & E or OBS! We are out there, as it's happening. Let us make the decisions you pay us to make. Stop micromanaging.

RSS Feed </> Embed