Amtrak

Amtrak Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Amtrak President & CEO Joseph H. Boardman

Joseph H. Boardman

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, Good retirement we do pay for it as does the railroad"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great benefits - caveat - now being removed"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of direction from senior management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Management side is kept guessing as to what is going on with upper management and what they are going to do regarding restructuring"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Amtrak for more than 5 years

ProsGood paid vacation time off from work

ConsSometimes away from home longer than scheduled

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Demanding work, not a lot of professional development opportunities, company lack's passion and vision.

On Board Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Amtrak full-time for more than a year

ProsOkay pay. Strong relationships with the good employees.

ConsExtremely demanding lifestyle. A lack of communication between management and employees. Very poor morale – a lot of employees simply don’t care about good customer service or professional development. Many times, people would look down on my commitment to the company's mission and passenger needs. I was legitimately embarrassed on multiple occasions from my co-workers actions and attitudes in front of passengers. I got in legitimate fights with my co-workers just trying to keep passengers informed during delays. Working hard is not valued. Many employees seemed fine with just avoiding passengers and conflict during these situations, exacerbating the situation. Amtrak is not a freight railroad. Boxcars don't wonder why they inexplicably stop and wait a hour on a siding. Passengers do. The level of communication between employees and passengers is deplorable. Airlines are so much better at customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow tough love to the bad employees. “They're in a union!” is not an excuse. All unions provide is due process for discipline and termination that at-will employees don't enjoy. It’s management’s laziness, not the union contract, that keeps the crap people in uniform. Help them understand their shortcomings and give them the training, tools and support to succeed.

Cut the bloat. There are too many managers which are promoted based on nepotism and affirmative action. Every couple of years, the company tries to reorganize and become more efficient only to fall back into old habits because they don't focus on merit and passion when hiring. Mechanical is absolutely useless and should be contracted out.

Focus on morale. Management throws employees into the worst situations (8, 10, 24 hour delays, broken down equipment, poor planning and communication) with no support. While some will do their best with what tools they have, when you have multiple, almost daily, situations where you feel management does not have your back in providing strong service to passengers, people get burned out and cynical.

union! Mgt hands tied or they dont care.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amtrak full-time for less than a year

Prospay is good for what you do. gov operated probably be around forever.

Conswork rules of union.

A lot of Chiefs, not nearly enough Indians

Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amtrak full-time for more than a year

ProsLeave you alone to do your job

ConsCan't get information, and if you can, if you ask three bosses, you get three different answers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet professional education, and try to take our questions seriously. We don't want to hear "because". That is not an answeer

Negative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Amtrak full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFree train travel --- that's about it. If you're in the agreement level, it's not too bad compared to what else you could do with just a high-school education. I would avoid management. There's no reward for hard work.

ConsConstantly reorganizing to the political whims of Congress and Federal Government. No long term plan. Excuse-driven approach to providing service. The good old boys network, politics, and other agendas within HR will drive your advancement opportunities regardless of performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the constant reorganization. Ride your services and ask yourself, "If I had to pay for this, would I choose to use this service? If so, would I feel good about it?"

Reservation agent in Riverside call center

Reservation Sales Agent (Current Employee)
Riverside, CA

I have been working at Amtrak part-time for more than a year

ProsPay is good. I started at 13.00 an hour, two years later ill be making close to 16.00 an hour. Job is fairly easy. No hard labor.

ConsHaving low seniority. Long, classroom probation period. Becoming full-time with benefits may take a few years.

Company of the Future

Branding Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is working very hard to honor the past and move towards becoming a company of the future. Mr. Boardman and his team are very passionate about ensuring the company has a strong future and employee are happy. Employees are loyal to the company and to each other.

ConsChange can be hard for a company that is so rich in history. The company struggles with recognizing employees for their hard work. There is a lack of employee engagement due to unclear expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognizing employees and empowering them to become brand ambassadors will increase employee engagement.

It is a great company!

Red Cap (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time for less than a year

ProsThey have awesome pay rates! Can make it a career easly.

ConsReally don't have anything negative.

One is the lowest rating available, but it rates lower than a one.

Manager (Current Employee)
Township Washinton, NJ

I have been working at Amtrak full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are the only thing re: a pro

ConsEverthing else: Sr. Management has never been trained to be leaders. People have been promoted who have no clue about the meaning of the word.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a complete overhaul of the VP level to Sr. Director level.

The multi-facet business units to work for provides areas of learning consistently

Principal Officer (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amtrak full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA little more laid back then working for Corporate/For Profit organization

ConsNot much room for advance in position

Advice to Senior ManagementLearning to development employees

Worked for Amtrak? Contribute to the Community!

Amtrak Videos

Amtrak – Why Work for Us?

Moving America where it wants to go. Amtrak is a unique American success story because of our more than 21,000 diverse employees who drive the performance needed to make us America’s Railroad. For more than 42 years… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amtrak reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amtrak CEO Joseph H. Boardman. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Amtrak employees.