Amway Reviews

Reset
3.5
Amway President Doug DeVos
Doug DeVos

Pros
  • Fairly good work-life balance, only time spent working after normal hours is on presentations (in 11 reviews)

• Great people with nice benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and organizational structure cycles about every five years (in 9 reviews)

• Takes a long time to get anything done because it goes through a lot of people (in 3 reviews)

1. Associate System Support Specialist

Former Employee - Associate Systems Support Specialist in Ada, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Systems Support Specialist in Ada, MI

I worked at Amway

Pros

* Great environment to work in * A lot of training opportunities * International Travel * Management cares about your personal success and grooms employees for leadership

Cons

* Slow moving company (aircraft carrier vs small race car analogy) * You always have the sense that leadership has hidden agendas for departments, such as contracting out work instead of in house growth (in I.T., that is).

2. Global Project Management Still Needs Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Ada, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Ada, MI

I have been working at Amway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Stable company even in bad economy. *On-site fitness center. *Lots of long term employees make for functionally knowledgeable team members. *Good work ethic and team mentality. *Solid new product development process. *Got rid of some narcissistic executive marketing leadership in the past couple of years!

Cons

*Nutrition/Durables PM upper management is toxic, useless, abusive and throw their staff under the bus to cover up their own lack of leadership and integrity. *Competing and too many PM metrics set teams up for failure. *Micro managing and inflexible PM work environment ...it's not 1920 ...our PMs lead multi-million $ global projects with high caliber team members, and yet you want to control them like they are children or hourly workers. *Hierarchy is off the charts here ..very old school.

Advice to Management

*Get rid of highly toxic Nutrition/Durables PM upper management. *Be less rigid with competing metrics. If the leader and team are doing a great job with circumstances out of their control, stop penalizing them and try rolling up your own sleeves to help out. *Stop prematurely promoting young and inexperienced hypos trying on a temporary PM leadership role: This is demoralizing and minimizes the experience of veteran PMs who really know what they are doing, who get projects across the finish line year after year, and who clean up the messes that the 2 year hypos leave behind on these projects. Promote the hypo after you move them to management, and not while they are in a PM role without earning their stripes as a PM. This should be common sense. *Stop rotating management every 2 years ...it is painful to have your leader not understand what you do and a disservice since these leaders are not here long enough to be invested in us or represent our accomplishments, and creates unnecessary stress due to constant change for the sake of change. *Be more mature with diversity: God created everyone not just white, straight, republican, Christians ...no one race, orientation or religion is better than another. Hopefully we can now stop discriminating against our LGBT colleagues' families.

3. Process engineering intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, MI

I worked at Amway

Pros

Fun events like golfing, team dinners. Very light hours.. Could usually leave at 3 or 4.

Cons

Very little work to do. Company doesn't take the interns very seriously and give real responsibility.

Advice to Management

Give interns more responsibility. Taking the college undergrads more seriously could actually yield some positive project outcomes.

5. Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, MI

I have been working at Amway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is highly valued and nice company perks

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities currently as most positions are now being filled from outside candidates

Advice to Management

Better succession panning

6. Just a contractor

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Ada, MI
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Ada, MI

I worked at Amway as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amway is a Good company, They really respect their 'Amway Business Owners' (ABO) and treat their employees well. They honor their contracts, pay is competitive

Cons

'Just a contractor' You will hear this statement alot at Amway. If you let it - it will make you feel like a second citizen

Advice to Management

Provide one on one feedback to your contractors, invite them to employees meetings. You would benefit from continous improvement and team building.

7. Product Supply Manager

Current Contractor - Product Supplu Sourcing Manager in Ada, MI
    Current Contractor - Product Supplu Sourcing Manager in Ada, MI

I have been working at Amway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company supports employee training and enhancements...many opporutunities for full-time employees in USA and overseas, very team oriented, partakes and supports many employee activitiesin many

Cons

huge conglomerate...slow moving in making decisions , difficult to cut through the maize t times where people are not empowered to make decisions.

Advice to Management

Be more cognizant of cost savings opportunities and development of all employees from blue-collar to higher mgmt through training

8. Customer Service

Former Employee - Costomer Service in Ada, MI
    Former Employee - Costomer Service in Ada, MI

I worked at Amway part-time

Pros

Good pay. The employee store was great. Can't really think of anything else good about it. Oh, most of my co workers were great people

Cons

I had been there over 24 yrs and they started scheduling me night hours while bilingual CSRs who had maybe 5 yrs seniority were working days. They expect way too much from their employees, we are not sales people. We are there to help the customers. Do not work in the customer service dept at Amway. They treat English speaking CSRs like we don't matter.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Make sure you treat your employees that have been there for a long time better.

9. Marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ada, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ada, MI

I worked at Amway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Affiliated with a company that has done great things for the local community and promotes CSR within the organization.

Cons

Too many new Execs from the outside who do not know or understand (or want to understand)the unique Business Model that Amway established via Direct Selling.

Advice to Management

Require all new leadership to just observe and learn about the Business model prior to having to deliver to any aggressive objectives - otherwise, they keep trying to take strategies used at their former place of employment/CPG companies and apply them to Amway and it does not work- wastes resources, hurts morale, alienates the Affiliate markets and the IBOs lose confidence in Ada's ability to support them and their business efforts.

Good until the last six months

Current Employee - Manager in Ada, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Ada, MI

I have been working at Amway

Pros

Culture, colleagues, experiences, challenges, opportunities

Cons

Upper Management, Groupthink, expectations, egos, sense of entitlement by executives

11. A pleasant, clean work environment.

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Ada, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Ada, MI

I have been working at Amway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement is a huge attraction for those that are looking to further their education. The company is very transparent in the way the company is headed.

Cons

The ability to move up in the company is next to impossible, if you work it the factory setting. They have an unwillingness to hire in unskilled labor which creates problems with the turnaround of temporary employees. We are training people on a daily basis which slows down the throughput of our production lines.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, there are a lot of highly qualified intelligent people that can be trained to fill open positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed