Amway

Amway Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Amway President Doug DeVos

Doug DeVos

Pros
  • Good work / life balance with on site gyms, cafeterias and exercise classes (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, great benefits and lots of opportunity for growth (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and organizational structure cycles about every five years (in 9 reviews)

• Takes a long time to get anything done because it goes through a lot of people (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly culture, company store, many opportunities to grow, lots of volunteering events

ConsOnly two main locations in Ada, MI and California. Negative comments from strangers about the direct selling business Amway runs.

Long time employee

Project Manager (Current Employee) Ada, MI

ProsA lot of tenure and very little turnover. Very family friendly. Great 401K program and profit sharing.

ConsHiring too many outside applicants so starting to lose some of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of focus on recruiting new interns and new blood but very little focus on developing leaders from within.

Wonderful.

ProsIT is a friendly environment.

ConsI wish I was paid more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

ProsGreat atmosphere. Good products

ConsScam. Do not invest your money.

Nice place to work

Printing (Current Employee) Ada, MI

ProsGood benefits, pay - generally good people.

ConsTo compartmentalized, left hand and right don't know what each other are doing. Depending on job room to advance. Contradictory goals between business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign departments and groups to utilize the strengths. Marketing, branding, creatives and printing departments should be aligned under one group. Not split all reporting to different uplines.

Excellent opportunity to develop new products and processes

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Buena Park, CA

ProsGreat Company-80 years in Health Care arena. Organic Farms around the world.

ConsLot of politics. Difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider better career development for employees

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of benefits for employees; a free gym, an employee store with lots of deals, cookouts, pizza parties, celebrations for meeting and exceeding quotas.

ConsSome departments have 12 hour days which could be annoying to some people. Personally I like them.

What was once a wonderful company culture is being eroded day by day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ada, MI

ProsOutstanding salary and benefits.
    Good work-life balance.

ConsUpper management and organizational structure cycles about every five years.
    If you're looking for long term employment, be prepared to fear for your job about every five years, as well.
    Too many managers, directors, and VPs with input on every little thing - often late in the game; no one is on the same page.
    No empowerment for middle and frontline management and no communication to them from upper management.
    A wonderful company culture is being erroded day by day.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecs, please choose the words and messaging you use with employees carefully. Stop touting "transparency" in the workplace when you really can't tell us the full story. I respect that you are making employment cutbacks in an attempt to get the most bang for the Amway buck, even if I don't agree with the decision. How do you think it makes employees feel when you tell them that their severence has nothing to do with performance, but also has nothing to do with budget? It's got to be at least one of those. Otherwise, you wouldn't have made the decision to outsource. Maybe if you'd listen more to the some of the great suggestions employees have about doing "what's best for the independent business owner," you'd get more for your money. We are just as good, if not better than any company you will be contracting to do our work soon. You've just never given us a chance to show you our best work. And I'll bet, in the long run, we'd be less expensive.

Great company but bad HR policies. NO GROWTH.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThis company has great culture but does not stand up to its values. No freedom & family for employees.

ConsVery bad succession planning. No career development planning. Very very heirarchial company. Lots of politics internally. Strategy exists but no compliance. They really need to promote employees more rigourously. HR need to step up. Talent Management sucks. Poor Talent recruitment practices. Carreer development is nill or void. Learning management is just a bone thrown at employees. No real development exist. No talent management no succession planning practices & only exist for execs.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Especially HR. Give them liberty. Let them be responsible. Do not baby sit them.

Develop plans for employee growth. Think about how this employee can grow and support the future strategy as a leader or an individual contributor. Help them, guid them ,mentor them. Make employee growth as your development plan as a leader. Leadership is not about your personal growth, it is about how you take your direct reports to next level. Concentrate on every employee. Not the ones who you have great relationship. Infact, you need to concentrate on employees who are more weaker or growing and have the drive.

A good company, but riddled with political intrigue

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Ada, MI

ProsWorking with the right department can make all the difference. Some departments are highly organized, very well managed, and technically proficient. The company has a large amount of resources to bring to bear on its problems. The company has a great focus on health and wellness of employees. It's cafe serves Starbucks coffee.

ConsPolitics. There are decisions that are made that affect the company's bottom line where the entire reasoning is politics. There is a serious lack of innovation in technology. The tech teams are bogged down by red tape and policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you aren't surrounded by politicians. Understand the effects your decision will have. Find someone you trust to explain the details, and don't make decisions without understanding the implications.

Worked for Amway? Contribute to the Community!