Amylin Pharmaceuticals

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amylin Pharmaceuticals President, CEO, and Director Dan Bradbury

Dan Bradbury

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, Good colleagues, Nice city to work in and a great area(in 8 reviews)

• If you have to live in San Diego Amylin can give you a paycheck(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Transparency by upper-management made it difficult to trust the future of the company(in 7 reviews)

• They company has been purchased by big pharma company in 2012,(in 4 reviews)

Amylin is a great mid size pharma with good science and great integrity. However got acquired by big pharma and closed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe employees are talented, passionate in science, flexibile and very professional. Great company to work for.

ConsCompany got acquired by BMS/AZ and sadly being closed down.

Used to be a great company, then bureaucracy took over

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDynamic work environment, always changing (acquisitions, partnerships, etc.). You can learn a lot. Acquired by Astra Zeneca.

ConsUpper management, self-important and cya. My boss treated people very differently depending on their level within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick genuine leaders who are confident and want to do the right thing. Don't just hire everyone's buddy and give them a fat job/salary.

Wish it could have lasted longer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, great co-workers. Was a fun place to work. We turned out life-changing products.

ConsToo bad management couldn't find a way to make it last.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company - sad to see it go

Operations (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits, attention to employee needs and focus on the patients. Great to work here for so many years

ConsChallenging times, management became a little lost after several setbacks. Just got aquired and now closing their doors

Working at the plant during its construction and start up involved long hours and much stress.

Director (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsNew manufacturing plant in Ohio is state of the art. Its nice to work in a clean environment with the latest technology. Compensation and benefits are consistent with pharma industry, very good overall.

ConsMultiple acquisitions in the last two years has been demoralizing for the staff while at the same time trying to get approval for and launch new products. It often feels like a never ending fire fight.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to find strong leadership for the plant in Ohio.

Grew too big too fast.

Senior R&D Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe management was very flexible and it made it easy to have a good work/life balance. Work with good colleagues who are dedicated to science and helping out patients.

ConsVery uncertain whether you will have a job. Went through several phases of lay offs starting from 2008. Not much opportunity for career growth. Bought out by BMS and now Astra Zeneca. The San Diego site is closing and Ohio site will remain open.

Rewarding.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsGreat pay and challenging environment.

ConsBiotech world is always looking over your shoulder for the big pharma buy out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and up front.

A Great Company No More!! Gobbled up!!!

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsCared for employees & allowed them to have interactive role on where the company was going with its diabetic agents

ConsThey company has been purchased by big pharma company in 2012,

Learned so much, mediocre growth opportunities on paper.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, smart people. The collaborative work environment was top knotch.

ConsOrganization fell apart after RIF in 2008

It was great in it's hayday!

ProsBefore acquired it was a great place to work. Great teamwork and very competitive salary and benefits. Summer Fridays were awesome.

ConsAmylin was never very transparent and employees were often kept in the dark until the last minute - probably for good reason since they were in the process of selling the company :)

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really since the company will cease to exist soon.

Worked for Amylin Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!