Amyris Biotechnologies
www.amyrisbiotech.com Emeryville, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Amyris Biotechnologies Reviews

Updated Feb 17, 2014
Amyris Biotechnologies – Emeryville – “Office Wall - Sharks with Friggin Lasers!”

John Melo

A confused place to work. Too many products, too many goals. No set direction/path.

Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for less than a year

ProsSome people are nice to work with. Great perks for employees.

ConsI have never seen any Company except Amyris that has so many Managers and Directors, and most of these people are not even appropriate for the roles. Management lacks communication, projects lack execution. Unnecessary tight deadlines, and inefficiency created by the management, requires people to work long hours, holidays and weekend. Poor and sad place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher managers is not the solution to every problem. The key is to retain staff, and people hard working people happy.

Pushing innovation beyond science.

MBA Summer Internship (Former Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris Biotechnologies as an intern for less than a year

ProsStartup environment. Provide sustainable solutions to areas where the current solutions are not sustainable. Great place to work. Great staff.

ConsCompany still in development stage although had an IPO 3y ago.

Great people but VC-led with no market experience

Business (Former Employee)

I worked at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time

ProsCulture and people are awesome. Great perks and supportive colleagues that you can talk turkey with and have a few beers

ConsClassic example of VC-led company. Low in operations experience/execution and understanding of product verticals. Some people are VERY political

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has already been shaken up a bunch. VCs (John Doerr) are trying to maintain their reputation so I presume they'll just keep financing their way to a John Doerr exit that's not too much of a blemish

Awesome culture

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat health benefits, young and vibrant tight knit culture of learning

ConsAs with any company moving from R&D to a self-sustaining manufacturing company there are some bumps and growing pains leading to the constant feeling of instability

was better

I worked at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time

Prospeople, the science, opportunities to work in different department if you have the time

Consmanagement was poor and not honest about the status of the company

Difficult Industry Creates Difficult Environment

Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThey take care of their employees with good benefits, perks, and very nice facilities. For certain roles in R&D, there are plenty of exciting challenges to work on.

ConsThe culture has suffered from lots of turnover and and slow and painful "growing up" phase of the company since its arguably premature IPO. The culture that was a major selling point has disappeared with the departure of the founders. Sales, marketing, and G&A roles face challenges with constantly changing priorities and lots of politics as talented people try to protect their turf.

Passionate people

I have been working at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople here really care about making a difference in the world. There are a lot of smart people that are genuinely fun to work with.

ConsManagement does not provide enough leadership or have enough technical expertise in the relevant areas.

Great science, very poor management, too top heavy

I worked at Amyris Biotechnologies

ProsCoworkers are top notch. The Associate Scientists/RAs are all hard-working and fun to be around. The lab scientists and project leaders are some of the most intelligent, creative, and hard-working people I've met. Just brilliant. Benefits are decent, trying to stay on par with many other tech startups in the area.

ConsThe company retains way too many managers. Many high-level employees are bad at their jobs, many are quite unproductive, and some positions are even redundant. They command large salaries for being good at snaking up the ladder and not advocate for their workers. When layoffs happen, it is almost all salary-cheap, diligent RAs/lab scientists that are forced to leave. The ratio at one point was practically 2 managers to every 1 lab employee. The company shows no loyalty to those who have saved the business through innovation before. Prepare for the pharma treatment.
Upper management is completely disconnected from the science. There is large amounts of politics and dishonesty involved in major decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to trim the fat, start higher up the chain. Most importantly, stop selecting for dishonest, selfish, overly-aggressive yes-men/yes-women to be promoted to directors and such. Look for those who have strong technical understanding of the science, advocates his/her employees, gains the trust of those they work with, and develops the talent of the company.

Biotech company with lots of potential

Associate Scientist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmyris has lots of talented scientists and engineers who are passionate with R&D

ConsUpper management who are unfamiliar with technology set up impossible goal based only on economic calculation.

A lot of opportunity, needs more focus

Associate Scientist I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Amyris Biotechnologies full-time for more than a year

ProsExciting science with a purpose. Great people, fun work environment, excellent benefits.

ConsInformal communication (rumors), lack of strategic focus, dependent on outside funding.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal communication channels are improving, this has tendency to become old - don't let it. Company needs to place more emphasis on specific targets/products and then push them to market. Too much departmental change, find a focus and go with it.

Worked for Amyris Biotechnologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Amyris Biotechnologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Amyris Biotechnologies CEO John Melo . All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Amyris Biotechnologies employees.