Amyris

Updated November 16, 2014

John Melo

Company with great potential

I have been working at Amyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amyrous culture (open, fun, friendly), good recognition and promotion potential if you are under the right manager.

Cons

Top heavy. There are more directors than employees.

Talk less and deliver

High Turnovers = Low Employee Morale

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some fun employee events, like Top Dog day, Happy Hours, softball teams, kegs, subsidized lunches, etc. Might be a good starter job or a short-term position for those fresh out of college since there is a lot to learn from your peers and mentors, across other departments.

Cons

As mentioned in previous reviews, the company had become increasingly top-heavy, especially after layoffs of people who do the wet work in labs, and hiring of upper level management...BUT productivity expected to be the same, with unrealistic deadlines.

Management had lost the trust of their employees (and never regained it back after all these years), which have led to mass exoduses and low morale for those who remain. Managers, company-wide, have systematically undervalued their people. They're all replaceable cogs in their machinery. The paranoia/lack of trust was so bad that most people don't even trust surveys to be anonymous because their HR has an untrustworthy reputation, which is uncharacteristic of such a department. Those are signs of a toxic work environment. It was a mental challenge to work there day in and day out. I was lucky to get out when I did. Looks like nothing has improved since, according to my old colleagues, who are actively seeking employment elsewhere. Good luck to them.

There was a lot of competition between and within departments. It fosters unhealthy working relationships -- cutthroat at times. People tell me that opportunities to move to different departments no longer happen as frequently as their glory years, which was one of its selling points.

My years there were very mentally-exhaustive and detrimental to your emotional well-being. Other people have observed how working there have changed them for the worse. Once trusting and naive college graduates transformed into downtrodden cynics.

For the biotech industry, the company has unusually high turnover for the past several years. In order for the company to keep some of the greatest, creative, scientific minds, management and HR MUST value the employees as assets and treat them with respect and appreciation. Happy employees make for happy hard-working, loyal workers. It's not that hard...

Top heavy, redundant positions

Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people - in a short time period you will find yourself referring to them as your friends and not your coworkers
    Great benefits - amazing health coverage, really hard to beat
    Relaxed atmosphere - HR probably has a hard time handling that one, but it definitely makes for a fun work day

Cons

Depending on your department and line management you can be in for a very promising or very frustrating portion of your career. Some directors and managers value each new hire and each current employee as an opportunity to better the company, while others just keep going with whatever flow is going on - even if it's a flow of employees leaving for better work. There are quite a few managers that have a strong background in technical knowledge, but are not well equipped to manage a team nor find the value in increasing their management skills to do so.

There are a lot of overpaid, overpromoted individuals that are not capable of performing the duties required for their role. This devalues the promotion and pay increase of individuals that are highly deserving. These individuals often will speak about a lack of motivation to perform above and beyond since other colleagues will gain the same promotion for minimal work. There are also quite a few redundant positions. This group of paid personnel that questionably provides value to the company could be used to benefit the company by providing their services to high impact departmental support roles if pushed in that direction, but the lack of insight from management prevents that.

Look for ways to restructure personnel organization. Just because it worked when the company was <100 people doesn't mean it will work forever. The company changes rapidly, so should the methods of management. Support lower level employees from within the company, there are a lot of bright minds capable of a lot more than Amyris is offering them.

Great science and lots of work to do and to learn

Former Employee - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I had to know great people who are doing great science. Amyris is something between industry and academia. Since most people over there, have their first job after the postdoc or grad school, the learning culture is in the air.
    People work long sometimes but it is not crazy.

They have 3 days free lunch, Friday happy hour and Monday breakfast.

Cons

As a contractor, I had issues with how the company decided to renew my contract and the end to end my contract. Till the last minute, nothing was really clear.
    At the time I was there, we had to write monthly report every month as well as weekly update which I found it too much!
    There are many meeting sometimes that can affect how things can be done.

Pushing innovation beyond science.

Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Startup environment. Provide sustainable solutions to areas where the current solutions are not sustainable. Great place to work. Great staff.

Cons

Company still in development stage although had an IPO 3y ago.

A confused place to work. Too many products, too many goals. No set direction/path.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some people are nice to work with. Great perks for employees.

Cons

I have never seen any Company except Amyris that has so many Managers and Directors, and most of these people are not even appropriate for the roles. Management lacks communication, projects lack execution. Unnecessary tight deadlines, and inefficiency created by the management, requires people to work long hours, holidays and weekend. Poor and sad place to work.

Higher managers is not the solution to every problem. The key is to retain staff, and people hard working people happy.

Great people but VC-led with no market experience

Former Employee - Business in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Business in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time

Pros

Culture and people are awesome. Great perks and supportive colleagues that you can talk turkey with and have a few beers

Cons

Classic example of VC-led company. Low in operations experience/execution and understanding of product verticals. Some people are VERY political

Management has already been shaken up a bunch. VCs (John Doerr) are trying to maintain their reputation so I presume they'll just keep financing their way to a John Doerr exit that's not too much of a blemish

was better

I worked at Amyris full-time

Pros

people, the science, opportunities to work in different department if you have the time

Cons

management was poor and not honest about the status of the company

Difficult Industry Creates Difficult Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take care of their employees with good benefits, perks, and very nice facilities. For certain roles in R&D, there are plenty of exciting challenges to work on.

Cons

The culture has suffered from lots of turnover and and slow and painful "growing up" phase of the company since its arguably premature IPO. The culture that was a major selling point has disappeared with the departure of the founders. Sales, marketing, and G&A roles face challenges with constantly changing priorities and lots of politics as talented people try to protect their turf.

Passionate people

I have been working at Amyris full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People here really care about making a difference in the world. There are a lot of smart people that are genuinely fun to work with.

Cons

Management does not provide enough leadership or have enough technical expertise in the relevant areas.

Amyris Photos

Office Wall - Sharks with Friggin Lasers!

+ Add Photo