Amyris Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.9

John Melo

Pushing innovation beyond science.

Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Summer Internship in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Startup environment. Provide sustainable solutions to areas where the current solutions are not sustainable. Great place to work. Great staff.

Cons

Company still in development stage although had an IPO 3y ago.

Passionate people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People here really care about making a difference in the world. There are a lot of smart people that are genuinely fun to work with.

Cons

Management does not provide enough leadership or have enough technical expertise in the relevant areas.

Biotech company with lots of potential

Current Employee - Associate Scientist II  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amyris has lots of talented scientists and engineers who are passionate with R&D

Cons

Upper management who are unfamiliar with technology set up impossible goal based only on economic calculation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of opportunity, needs more focus

Current Employee - Associate Scientist I  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting science with a purpose. Great people, fun work environment, excellent benefits.

Cons

Informal communication (rumors), lack of strategic focus, dependent on outside funding.

Internal communication channels are improving, this has tendency to become old - don't let it. Company needs to place more emphasis on specific targets/products and then push them to market. Too much departmental change, find a focus and go with it.

A fantastic place for cutting edge science and professional growth

Current Employee - Scientist, Research  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist, Research in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

The research is cutting edge and of the highest quality. The research departments are made up of some of the best I have ever worked with. The work is meaningful and people are very motivated to make a real difference in the world. That brings a level of energy and commitment to the job that is hard to find elsewhere. It is a work-hard, play-hard environment and the employees do have a lot of fun and enjoy nice day to day perks. The daily work experience is generally very rewarding and fun.

Cons

Business side seems top heavy with too many top managers and VP's. Also, there does not seem to be a long-term vision for the research path. There is constant change in priorities and projects.

I agree with another reviewers that senior management is the main issue at Amyris; they need to cut some bloat at the top and most of the senior management do not deserve their inflated salaries. The science at Amyris is phenomenal and the technology will change the world, as long as senior management starts listening to the research groups. They need to develop a long-term research plan and stick with it.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

The work we do here at Amyris is amazing and once we have all of our products and goals ready to share with with the world we will change the future of synthetic renewable petroleum alternatives and help reduce this planets carbon footprint. There are also many other ways in which we are working to make a positive impact in today's society, and it is great to be a part of this work. There are also a great number of extremely intelligent people to work with and design new experiments and hypotheses with, and it is a very interesting and innovative environment to participate in.

Cons

There are some people who are managerial positions who are not appropriate for those roles, and the work of the people who they manage suffers, as well as the work of others around them.

People should be more adequately evaluated for which roles they fill, specifically in regards to supervisor or manager type roles, since they will then be in charge of not only their professional future but also the futures of the individuals who they are put in charge of.

Great science. Change the world. Maybe a pay cut to come here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Amyris

Pros

Top notch science. Creative atmosphere with lots of smart people. We are trying to save the world, and the atmosphere often feels very energetic toward that goal.

Cons

Some middle and senior management are not great. Disengaged and reactionary. The real leadership and vision comes from the science ranks. Unfortunately, there is an enormous discrepancy in pay between the top scientists and management.

Do you really deserve 100x+ the compensation of your managees? 3x, 4x, okay, maybe 10x, but 100x? really? This really hurts morale.

chaotic

I worked at Amyris full-time for more than a year

Pros

passionate people, good science, lots of potential, co-workers are great, great culture - lots of intersting ideas floating around

Cons

bad execution, some senior managers tend to micro-manage, wrong people in top positions, lots of energy wasted over office politics, company struggling to define itself as a manufacturing entity, process development headed by incompetent people who have to scale up experience

hire right people in the right places - people without proper experience in top position leads to botched up execution

Great science and lots of work to do and to learn

Former Employee - Scientist I  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist I in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I had to know great people who are doing great science. Amyris is something between industry and academia. Since most people over there, have their first job after the postdoc or grad school, the learning culture is in the air.
    People work long sometimes but it is not crazy.

They have 3 days free lunch, Friday happy hour and Monday breakfast.

Cons

As a contractor, I had issues with how the company decided to renew my contract and the end to end my contract. Till the last minute, nothing was really clear.
    At the time I was there, we had to write monthly report every month as well as weekly update which I found it too much!
    There are many meeting sometimes that can affect how things can be done.

Great people but VC-led with no market experience

Former Employee - Business  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Business in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Amyris full-time

Pros

Culture and people are awesome. Great perks and supportive colleagues that you can talk turkey with and have a few beers

Cons

Classic example of VC-led company. Low in operations experience/execution and understanding of product verticals. Some people are VERY political

Management has already been shaken up a bunch. VCs (John Doerr) are trying to maintain their reputation so I presume they'll just keep financing their way to a John Doerr exit that's not too much of a blemish

Worked for Amyris? Contribute to the Community!