Anadarko Petroleum

Updated January 14, 2015
4.3

Anadarko Petroleum President & CEO R. A. Walker
R. A. Walker

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is important now (in 15 reviews)

• Our 9/80 schedule allows for more free time which helps balance work and home life (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Away from home 6 months of the year (in 3 reviews)

• Many of the "smaller" assets in the Denver office are understaffed and over-worked due to everyone going to the Wattenberg asset (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Oppressive, uptight, no structure, terrible treatment of interns.

Former Employee - Division Order Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Division Order Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum

Pros

On site doctor was nice.

Cons

Management lets horrible employees run their departments. These employees treat the others in the group like they are dogs. No respect for your amount of time in the business. No training even though they preach all this training and mentorship. It's basically a politically driven company. Even the President tries to throw his political opinions and aspirations down your throat at meetings.
    i had heard bad things before starting and boy did I find out.
    Another example: Computers and your back is always facing the door. i was told the first day that everyone has their office set up this way. It's so management can watch what you are doing. Also, a little eyeball pops up on the screen every now and then to let you know IT is watching you... It's just utterly ridiculous. i felt extremely stifled the whole time I was there and was miserable to even come to work. So glad I moved on and found a wonderful company to work for.

Instead of hiring ass kissers, hire REAL leaders that can run these departments.

Horrible

Current Employee - Staff Division Order Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Division Order Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum

Pros

Paid time off for family

Cons

Politics, like working for the government. Horrible treatment of employees by other workers ALLOWED. Been in this business almost 20 years and I will say it's the strangest organization I've ever worked for. Can't wait to find something else! Don't believe the hype that surrounds this company. All that glitters is definitely not GOLD.

Read above

Happy not be working there anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous - In the Know in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous - In the Know in Houston, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum

Pros

The Gym

The onsite Doctor

Once you get past the shiny new office environment, facilities and The Woodlands environs it's all a facade

Cons

Utterly futile to strive to be the best you can be (at any level) when vast swathes of middle management promoted to such positions based on non-core business attributes and as a result have no idea as to what you contribute.

Open Communication core value is laughable - actually all of the core values are.

Core values are all well and good but you need to practice what you preach.

Never work for this place

Current Employee - IT Department in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - IT Department in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum

Pros

Can't think of any, oh Money

Cons

Worst job I ever had, disfunctional team enviornment, mgt and employess's degraded contractors. If anyone asks you to work for the IT dept run like hell. a buch of ass kissers

keep doing what you do, I'm sure if you pay well enough employees will take your abuse.

Onsite support with professional clients dealing with I.P and A/V issues.

Former Employee - I T A/V Support in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - I T A/V Support in Houston, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This company is like that of a family cultured environment, and they make you feel at home.

Cons

They seem to lack clarity of contract employees roll and agreements as to rather you will be hired, or released.

My advise as a former contracted employee to management at ANADARKO would be to ALWAYS communicate with employees what could be improved with their performance, and what the chances are rather the contractors will be hired or not, as well as a time considered notice if in fact, they know a head of time that the contracted employee will not be considered to be hired with a notice of release, so that the contracted employee can prepare for future employment else where.

Bullying permitted. Polices can allow a hostile and unprofessional working environment.

Former Employee - EHS in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - EHS in Houston, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great rapport and work culture among offshore employees. Highly skilled facilities, drilling, and project engineering office support and technical personnel. Tenure of employees generally higher than industry averages. Opportunities to gain strong technical experience. Bonuses generally higher than industry.

Cons

Lack of ethics and fair dealings by management in employee relations to comply with APC value statements and policies. Harassment and bullying tolerated in the workplace. Biased employee processes which lack professionalism and are inconsistent with legal requirements.

True world class organizations are self-reliant in proactively acknowledging deficiencies and instituting effective corrective actions. Unethical behaviors do include dishonesty, distortion, irresponsible use of authority, lack of transparency, compromised ethics processes, etc.

If you miss 1970s management styles and are trying to perfect brown-nosing skills, this is the place for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum

Pros

Convenience, decent pay and benefits, mindless repetitive job if you are looking for that type of thing. Lower-level employees tend to be very friendly when treated fairly. In-house gym and cafeterias are very nice.

Cons

In the group I worked in (accounting), upper management tends to micro-manage employees and distrusts anyone but a favored few. Employees are not allowed to make decisions in their own jobs, and you are told that you serve at the whim of management. Poor performers are rewarded and good performers are ignored based on the amount of brown-nosing and office politicing that is done. It was a very totalitarian, oppressive work environment where career advancement is based on if you are a "yes-man" who management likes (and yes, I was told I could not promote a good performer because a manager did not like them), you are encouraged to take time off as long as you are available and at your desk every day (yes, you are encouraged to take time off but if you do, it is seen as a weakness and if you don't, you're not a team player so you must take vacation time to stay at home and work), and management expouses a servant-leadership model where management is supposed to help employees but employees are used as stepping stones to job promotions. Office politics is pervasive throughout the department and employees must constantly watch their backs.

Trust your employees more, you hired them for their expertise. Stop the blatant favoritism, the promotion of "yes-men," and treating employees as commodities - this is 2010, not 1970. Instead of fostering an "us versus them" mentality, try promoting a cohesive group working toward the good of the Company. You have some very good knowledgeable people working for you - take your thumbs off of them, stop using them as pawns, and let them shine a little bit. Change the bi-polar management methods you've been using (saying one thing while doing the complete opposite). The atmosphere and employee morale would improve immensely.

It's a good company to work for

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really good benefits and relaxed environment.

Cons

People that work here tend to be quite arrogant.

Non Employees/Contractor Heads-up

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum as a contractor

Pros

In general, the atmosphere is very nice, building and facilities are great, employees are friendly and access to parking is great. Fast and efficient onboarding and set-up.

Cons

As a non-employee, I was disappointed in the culture of how contractors are not valued and included/engaged. Some managers and leaders don't make an effort to get to know and understand contractors skills, point of view and value add. It is a very old school type culture with no desire for innovation, change and efficiency.

Company has changed beyond recognition

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company benefits are wonderful. Love the passion most people have to be the best in the industry.

Cons

At one time, Anadarko worked hard to encourage and mentor new industry workers, while still valuing and rewarding the contributions of older, more experienced workers. The last couple years, they have placed such a focus on the younger workers that it has demoralized many people with years, if not decades left to work. The company values are made a focus for the rank and file, while seeming to be absent for many at higher levels.

Return to your former philosophy. There are many people with a lot to contribute who are not being encouraged or given opportunities to do so.

Anadarko Petroleum Photos