Anadarko Petroleum

Updated November 23, 2014
4.3

Anadarko Petroleum President & CEO R. A. Walker
R. A. Walker

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is important now (in 15 reviews)

• Our 9/80 schedule allows for more free time which helps balance work and home life (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Away from home 6 months of the year (in 3 reviews)

• Many of the "smaller" assets in the Denver office are understaffed and over-worked due to everyone going to the Wattenberg asset (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Employee - Accountant II in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant II in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and great company to work for.

Cons

Politics and typical corporate boundaries.

Open door policy

One of the best environments for a Corporation

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great gym, starbucks, work life balance, people are nice and smart, stock options, bonus, work environment, benefits and time-off, rotations into different departments

Cons

very structured way of doing things, upper management "clicks" and groups with some favoritism, get rid of servant leadership

Be more open to ideas from employees and do not treat them as being easily replacable

Onsite support with professional clients dealing with I.P and A/V issues.

Former Employee - I T A/V Support in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - I T A/V Support in Houston, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This company is like that of a family cultured environment, and they make you feel at home.

Cons

They seem to lack clarity of contract employees roll and agreements as to rather you will be hired, or released.

My advise as a former contracted employee to management at ANADARKO would be to ALWAYS communicate with employees what could be improved with their performance, and what the chances are rather the contractors will be hired or not, as well as a time considered notice if in fact, they know a head of time that the contracted employee will not be considered to be hired with a notice of release, so that the contracted employee can prepare for future employment else where.

Bullying permitted. Polices can allow a hostile and unprofessional working environment.

Former Employee - EHS in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - EHS in Houston, TX

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great rapport and work culture among offshore employees. Highly skilled facilities, drilling, and project engineering office support and technical personnel. Tenure of employees generally higher than industry averages. Opportunities to gain strong technical experience. Bonuses generally higher than industry.

Cons

Lack of ethics and fair dealings by management in employee relations to comply with APC value statements and policies. Harassment and bullying tolerated in the workplace. Biased employee processes which lack professionalism and are inconsistent with legal requirements.

True world class organizations are self-reliant in proactively acknowledging deficiencies and instituting effective corrective actions. Unethical behaviors do include dishonesty, distortion, irresponsible use of authority, lack of transparency, compromised ethics processes, etc.

I've never seen a company that values its people as much as Anadarko. I get great affirmation and validation daily.

Current Employee - ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - ITS Administrator in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time (4-7 weeks, by age), competitive salary, many lucrative bonus programs, total compensation is killer, Christmas party (maroon 5, robin thicke, zac brown...), beautiful corporate headquarters, but most of all the people and culture. Values truly run the company, and how well you live those values determines your annual performance review and promotions/raises. If you are not a moral person with strong values, this is not the company for you.

Cons

Sometimes I worry that we're not doing enough to preserve the culture and current structure of the company. Anadarko is fantastic, but a large part of what makes us successful is that we enable and empower individuals to be successful via autonomy. It feels as if some people want to add more structure and process that could potentially stifle innovation and our spirit of entrepreneurship. This hasn't happened yet, but we need to be cognizant of the risk.

Continue investing in your employees. Continue building talent and promoting from within. Capitalize on the low attrition rate. Don't stop giving employees the bragging rights of "top place to work".

Great company

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, people are nice. Compensation is nice, but the culture is the real benefit.

Cons

Some limitations on movement, not really bad, but some.

Non Employees/Contractor Heads-up

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum as a contractor

Pros

In general, the atmosphere is very nice, building and facilities are great, employees are friendly and access to parking is great. Fast and efficient onboarding and set-up.

Cons

As a non-employee, I was disappointed in the culture of how contractors are not valued and included/engaged. Some managers and leaders don't make an effort to get to know and understand contractors skills, point of view and value add. It is a very old school type culture with no desire for innovation, change and efficiency.

Very professional environment and nice people to work with. Everything is by the books, and there is a strict policy for everything.

Former Employee - Land Department in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Land Department in Denver, CO

I worked at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Nice people and a variety of ages, types of people to work with.

Cons

Follow protocol for every minute detail.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Staff Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and career advancement opportuniities

Cons

None i can think of

Keep up the good work

Great company, lots of room for growth, excellent pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Accountant in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Anadarko Petroleum full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Core values are what drives this place, big emphasis is made on them. Excellent PTO, 401-k, salary, bonus, etc.

Cons

I wish that they would let you work from home, a lot of the work that we do can be done remotely. Maybe in the future they will allow us to do so.

Stay the course.