Analog Devices Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Vincent Roche

Pros
  • The only pro is work-life balance as there is very little work to do (in 36 reviews)

• Very Good working environment and you own your time if you are an exempt employee (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor or no communication between upper management and the rest of the company, even amongst themselves (in 6 reviews)

• Top heavy management so there isn't always room for upward career growth in the organization (in 5 reviews)

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well-regarded company with good technology. The big leaders in technology come to ADI to ask them to work on stuff. Good work-life balance. Supervisors are largely understanding of personal issues. Relaxed environment but professional. You need to deliver on your work. No free rides.

Cons

To dispel previous comments from others: There is no "annual layoff". There is a two-week shutdown in last two weeks of calendar year but most days are holidays. Generally requires 2-3 days of vacation for that period. There is management entrenchment and advancement can be difficult beyond a certain level, depending upon situation. Below the senior level, you can advance rapidly. Salaries appear to be a bit low, annual merit increases are small. The upside in compensation is largely based upon the bonus plan, paid semi-annually. On the other hand, the bonus is good and the 401k match is too. Communication from management could be better. Some develpments are just not talked about openly. Capital spending is the first thing to be cut if there is even a hint of slower sales. Difficult to read the changes in wind direction on this ahead of time.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on a better career for senior-level and above.

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, good benefits and decent pay combined with innovative products. The company has a lot to offer, particularly if you want to hang around for many years.

Cons

Some departments suffer from poor management, in particular, IT. Lack of direction, poor decision making processes and lack of real attention to employee concerns. Can be a frustrating environment, particularly for new hires and people who want to move forward in their career.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employee surveys and do more than pay lip service to fixing the issues. Turning the results around and blaming the employees won't fix the issues that are underlying the results.

3. Analog Devices Inc.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for, with some very well thought through processes, and supply chain systems are excellent Top management is excellent, with very good strategic thinkers present.

Cons

Analog is not the most dynamic of organisations, silo's exist here, its US centric, Middle management can be deemed to be like the civil service, with focus on the job in hand only

Advice to Management

Global organisations should be able to think and operate globally, and encourage dynamic ability, and be flexible.

5. Product Engineer

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Nice work environment. Great flexibility

Cons

Lack of communication from management

6. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Technical Editor in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Editor in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours that you choose with your trainer - Working in groups of three - Plenty of opportunity to ask for assistance and learning opportunities - Great coworkers, great supervision

Cons

- Contract to hire positions only, so you have to wait to be hired

Downward Trend - 2 1/2 Stars

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and friendly close-knit culture. Fair compensation and benefits. Well regarded supplier by customers makes customer engagements superior in most (not all) cases.

Cons

The 2013 passing of conservative CEO Jerald Fishman brought on first-time CEO Vincent Roche and empowered CFO David Zinsner to follow voices within to take greater risks, evaluate acquisition targets, and attempt to grow the company's bottom line faster than deemed possible organically - To be more aggressive 'like Texas Instruments (TI)'. However, while the years under Fishman brought frequent calls from TI employees begging to be rescued from the negative & threatening employee culture of TI, that trend has changed with the changing of the guard at ADI. Changing directions, restructuring, a heavy drive for growth, and a TI-like review process designed more for employee turnover than true employee development has caused a loss of loyalty and an erosion of camaraderie. There is a lack of genuine sharing within the matrix as employees understand the need to raise their own profile rather than help a colleague. The company is suspicious of employees taking ADI's Intellectual Property so the IT department is chartered with tracking employees data activities and there are immediate consequences if the IT Department perceives (rightly or wrongly) you may exit the company with some of their data.

Advice to Management

Some things are more important than $$$. Be like TI and lose all that Ray Stata built. Be careful.

8. Solid company with momentum.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices full-time

Pros

Company just completed their 50th year with the last quarter having a record in sales. Profitability is high and the next 10 years could be very exciting for up and coming engineers.

Cons

Company can be fiscally conservative which can be a bit frustrating when you think you need some capital spending, but are asked to wait a little bit.

Advice to Management

Continue to take care of your senior people, as they will be the catalyst to launch the new wave of engineers into the 2nd 50 years!

Good opportunities to learn, but limited opportunities to grow due to entrenched senior management

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had many opportunities over my period of employment to learn new things. There is a certain egalitarian feel to the culture - young engineers are encouraged to work with and learn from senior engineers, and the opinions and ideas of less experienced employees are not simply dismissed because of their lower "rank". I was able to move around a little bit within my role and learn many new things over the time of my employment, and I definitely got to work on some interesting projects.

Cons

Although I had opportunities to move around and try new things, I was ultimately locked into one role because there was no career path available for me to follow. There is very little mobility, from my experience, to move upward and grow in the company. I spent nearly a decade doing the same job, with the same job title, despite consistently getting stellar performance reviews. This is why I eventually decided to leave the company. On an unrelated note, the compensation is simply not competitive. Although I received many stock options in the early years of my employment, the stock stagnated by the time they had vested and they were ultimately worth nothing by the time I decided to leave. While I was still an employee, I interviewed and received job offers at a few competitors just to see what else was out there, and most of the offers had salaries ranging between 30% and 50% more than my salary at the time, which was very tempting. Most of my coworkers I know who left the company were rewarded with significant salary increases at their new employers. I enjoyed the work, so I stuck around... but I could have easily left at any time to get a 50% raise at a competitor.

Advice to Management

When an engineer has been in the same job for nearly a decade, consistently gets exceptional performance reviews, yet has no path for advancement in the company, then something is wrong. Clear career paths need to be established in order to employees to grow. Also, compensation is not competitive enough to keep new employees around for the long term.

Good long-time career investment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people around. Good benefits package. A a company with a strong emphasis on work-life balance. At the long run, you get to work on some very interesting projects and, if lucky, get the opportunity for a discipline change.

Cons

Average compensation; A large variance in management quality.

Applications Engineer

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time

Pros

Some useful experience. Getting experience after graduating from college.

Cons

Worse job I ever had. Other than getting experience after graduating from college, I see no future here. Supervisors, managers, and coworkers are belligerent (fueled by egotism), moody, and disrespectful. Some of the supervisors work half days, others offer no mentoring and encouragement. A few years ago, one of my coworkers quit within months of being hired for these reasons. He/she was extremely frustrated and couldn’t stomach the culture. Higher labor grades mock and denigrate employees below them for entertainment - having fun at someone else’s expense. Employees showing strong aptitudes in skill set A are forced to do tasks B, C, and D without the training needed to succeed. Hard-working employees are overworked and setup for failure. Supervisors are more concerned with practicing their golf swing in the hallway (virtual golf club in hand) while chewing gum with an open mouth or leaving early to go to a game, golf-course, etc. rather than taking the time to initiate and/or discuss the development and advancement of their reports. Layoffs every November (sometimes October too now). Employee surveys voiced many concerns time after time, but nothing changes. As a result of the disconnect between employees and supervisors/managers morale is low.

Advice to Management

Employee surveys voiced many concerns time after time, but nothing changes. What are the surveys for? Does upper management view the results?

RSS Feed </> Embed