Analog Devices

www.analog.com

Analog Devices Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Smart people, great technology, work-life balance, located in greater boston area (in 29 reviews)

• very talented co-workers, good working environment, good salaries (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Strong senior management, but very weak mid-level management (in 7 reviews)

• Career advancement can be very slow - especially from entry level to mid-level mangement (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsLots of ADI lifers. Stong culture. Well diversified portfolio.
    Well established: 40+ years old.

ConsSlow pace. Extra effort doesn't get you much in return. Lots of old people with old ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risk. OPBT/reveune isn't the only measure of success.

Digital design group in Norwood is not a very good place to work if you want to produce chips.

Digital Design Engineer (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsFlexible schedule, excellent extra-curricular activities, smart individuals from who you can learn.

ConsVery little opportunity for growth for younger engineers, especially in the digital design group. Senior engineers who have been there for a long time maintain too much control. Further, there is no sound design methodology to create products quickly. If you want to talk about smart things and do cool things without really producing any chips ... this is the group for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mentorship style of senior engineers is more about musing philosophically about smart designs rather than getting to the simplest description that fits the question asked.

As a young engineer I constantly had to go back to my office and decipher my manager's instructions. It was almost as if I was at a hard school (like MIT) and the teacher just decided to make the homework hard, because he wanted to. I could figure it out and did a good job there but I did not want it to be that way. I wanted to solve problems to make products work rather than create an entire scheme to address the problem simply because that scheme sounded cool. I had spent enough time in school. When you are in industry, it is more important to do the right thing than the 'coolest' thing.

It is important that senior management realizes this if they want this group to succeed. And they need to adopt a mentorship style that allows younger engineers to take the weight off their shoulders. And that includes teaching them appropriately and giving them recognition for hard work and good work.

Okay company

Senior Verification Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIn general successful company, tons of cash, good bonus and benefits. Very stable company

ConsNo path to growth within the company, salaries low comparing to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management of MPD business unit can be a little bit better. Schedules are not realistic.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place to work

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsGood technologies, experienced senior designers, some products are quite advanced.

ConsPersonal career growth is very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to employees.

Excellent Internship

Intern (Former Employee) Woburn, MA

ProsCame in with not too much order to the internship, but I was allowed to make a lot of the opportunity.

ConsCompany seems to have a culture where many old employees have stuck around but not advanced far within the company. Perhaps a sign of happiness working there, but it scared a much younger employee like me off.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe place seems asleep. Time for a wakeup and cultural shakeup.

A view of a Product Development Engineer at Analog Devices

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsThe job at ADI is pretty flexible in terms of personal growth. There are many career developing opportunities available at ADI. Also, to move from one job to another job within the company is available for employees to excel in various fields.

ConsSometimes, it's a struggle to get few things approved, get the right equipment in the LAB and compete for resources in the same group between different teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A as of now, except listen to employees once in a while.

Great place to work!

Technician (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Challenging work. Good opportunities for overtime. Good people to work with most of the time. Great educational benefits, even have UMass teach classes on campus for engineering degrees.

ConsLack of communication between shifts. Lack of clear chain of command.

Advice to Senior ManagementRember that just because people are working night shift and aren't as visible as day shift personnel that they are still working hard.

Planning Manager

Planning Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsGood vacation and bonus structure. Diversified international employees. Respected 45 year old company who have alot of patented IP & products. Well paid.

ConsManagement communications are constantly mixed. HR are not to be trusted. Company is split into three main divisions and on division gets all the attention and they other two are considered the the laggards.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying the CEO so much. New product process for introduction is a joke and needs serious re-engineering

ADI

Product Engineer (Former Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsAn excellent working atmosphere. Some really smart people in the building, who have had lots of patents in the IC design atmosphere.

ConsVery boring work around. It is highly impossible to grow much in the company due to how big the company is.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to give more time to some of the young minds. They need to let them be more creative instead of pushing everyone onto the same kind of jobs.

Good place to work

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsGood work-life balance. Freedom to learn and work on new things. Lots of smart people as far as analog design is concerned.

ConsManagement not very competent. Still mostly a component company and reactive. Pay raises are pretty low and barely keep up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for organic growth mb encouraging new ideas within the company instead of sporadically going for acquisitions that do not work out.

Worked for Analog Devices? Contribute to the Community!