Analog Devices

www.analog.com
  www.analog.com

Analog Devices Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Vincent Roche

Pros
  • The only pro is work-life balance as there is very little work to do (in 36 reviews)

• very talented co-workers, good working environment, good salaries (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Strong senior management, but very weak mid-level management (in 7 reviews)

• Career advancement can be very slow - especially from entry level to mid-level mangement (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Lots of ADI lifers. Stong culture. Well diversified portfolio.
    Well established: 40+ years old.

Cons

Slow pace. Extra effort doesn't get you much in return. Lots of old people with old ideas

Take more risk. OPBT/reveune isn't the only measure of success.

Digital design group in Norwood is not a very good place to work if you want to produce chips.

Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Norwood, MA

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

Flexible schedule, excellent extra-curricular activities, smart individuals from who you can learn.

Cons

Very little opportunity for growth for younger engineers, especially in the digital design group. Senior engineers who have been there for a long time maintain too much control. Further, there is no sound design methodology to create products quickly. If you want to talk about smart things and do cool things without really producing any chips ... this is the group for you.

The mentorship style of senior engineers is more about musing philosophically about smart designs rather than getting to the simplest description that fits the question asked.

As a young engineer I constantly had to go back to my office and decipher my manager's instructions. It was almost as if I was at a hard school (like MIT) and the teacher just decided to make the homework hard, because he wanted to. I could figure it out and did a good job there but I did not want it to be that way. I wanted to solve problems to make products work rather than create an entire scheme to address the problem simply because that scheme sounded cool. I had spent enough time in school. When you are in industry, it is more important to do the right thing than the 'coolest' thing.

It is important that senior management realizes this if they want this group to succeed. And they need to adopt a mentorship style that allows younger engineers to take the weight off their shoulders. And that includes teaching them appropriately and giving them recognition for hard work and good work.

Okay company

Current Employee - Senior Verification Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Verification Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

In general successful company, tons of cash, good bonus and benefits. Very stable company

Cons

No path to growth within the company, salaries low comparing to others.

The management of MPD business unit can be a little bit better. Schedules are not realistic.

OK place to work

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Good technologies, experienced senior designers, some products are quite advanced.

Cons

Personal career growth is very slow.

Better communication to employees.

Excellent Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Woburn, MA

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

Came in with not too much order to the internship, but I was allowed to make a lot of the opportunity.

Cons

Company seems to have a culture where many old employees have stuck around but not advanced far within the company. Perhaps a sign of happiness working there, but it scared a much younger employee like me off.

The place seems asleep. Time for a wakeup and cultural shakeup.

A view of a Product Development Engineer at Analog Devices

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

The job at ADI is pretty flexible in terms of personal growth. There are many career developing opportunities available at ADI. Also, to move from one job to another job within the company is available for employees to excel in various fields.

Cons

Sometimes, it's a struggle to get few things approved, get the right equipment in the LAB and compete for resources in the same group between different teams.

N/A as of now, except listen to employees once in a while.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Technician in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Technician in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Challenging work. Good opportunities for overtime. Good people to work with most of the time. Great educational benefits, even have UMass teach classes on campus for engineering degrees.

Cons

Lack of communication between shifts. Lack of clear chain of command.

Rember that just because people are working night shift and aren't as visible as day shift personnel that they are still working hard.

Planning Manager

Current Employee - Planning Manager in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Planning Manager in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Good vacation and bonus structure. Diversified international employees. Respected 45 year old company who have alot of patented IP & products. Well paid.

Cons

Management communications are constantly mixed. HR are not to be trusted. Company is split into three main divisions and on division gets all the attention and they other two are considered the the laggards.

Stop paying the CEO so much. New product process for introduction is a joke and needs serious re-engineering

ADI

Former Employee - Product Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Product Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

An excellent working atmosphere. Some really smart people in the building, who have had lots of patents in the IC design atmosphere.

Cons

Very boring work around. It is highly impossible to grow much in the company due to how big the company is.

They need to give more time to some of the young minds. They need to let them be more creative instead of pushing everyone onto the same kind of jobs.

Good place to work

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Good work-life balance. Freedom to learn and work on new things. Lots of smart people as far as analog design is concerned.

Cons

Management not very competent. Still mostly a component company and reactive. Pay raises are pretty low and barely keep up with inflation.

Look for organic growth mb encouraging new ideas within the company instead of sporadically going for acquisitions that do not work out.

Analog Devices Photos

ADI headquarters in Norwood, Mass.
One of our main equipment used in the lab
office area