Analog Devices Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Good opportunities to learn, but limited opportunities to grow due to entrenched senior management

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had many opportunities over my period of employment to learn new things. There is a certain egalitarian feel to the culture - young engineers are encouraged to work with and learn from senior engineers, and the opinions and ideas of less experienced employees are not simply dismissed because of their lower "rank". I was able to move around a little bit within my role and learn many new things over the time of my employment, and I definitely got to work on some interesting projects.

Cons

Although I had opportunities to move around and try new things, I was ultimately locked into one role because there was no career path available for me to follow. There is very little mobility, from my experience, to move upward and grow in the company. I spent nearly a decade doing the same job, with the same job title, despite consistently getting stellar performance reviews. This is why I eventually decided to leave the company. On an unrelated note, the compensation is simply not competitive. Although I received many stock options in the early years of my employment, the stock stagnated by the time they had vested and they were ultimately worth nothing by the time I decided to leave. While I was still an employee, I interviewed and received job offers at a few competitors just to see what else was out there, and most of the offers had salaries ranging between 30% and 50% more than my salary at the time, which was very tempting. Most of my coworkers I know who left the company were rewarded with significant salary increases at their new employers. I enjoyed the work, so I stuck around... but I could have easily left at any time to get a 50% raise at a competitor.

Advice to Management

When an engineer has been in the same job for nearly a decade, consistently gets exceptional performance reviews, yet has no path for advancement in the company, then something is wrong. Clear career paths need to be established in order to employees to grow. Also, compensation is not competitive enough to keep new employees around for the long term.

2. Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer

I have been working at Analog Devices (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent people to work with, lot of technical expertise. Works on cutting edge interesting technologies. Lot of learning possible.

Cons

Some groups are extremely risk averse which hampers the growth of their engineers.

Advice to Management

Be fair to people who have contributed to business success.

3. Co-op

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Good culture, Good work life balance

Cons

On somedays you will not have any work at all

Advice to Management

None

Good long-time career investment.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people around. Good benefits package. A a company with a strong emphasis on work-life balance. At the long run, you get to work on some very interesting projects and, if lucky, get the opportunity for a discipline change.

Cons

Average compensation; A large variance in management quality.

6. Very professional team

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

Great technologies to work on. Some of the best minds in the industry work there.

Cons

sometimes there may be many people on the project.

Applications Engineer

I worked at Analog Devices full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, competent people for the most part.

Cons

Senior management is often clueless. Major change in direction from the origins of the company. Common joke was "we succeed despite our senior management, not because of them"

Advice to Management

Don't let go (ie., lay off) good hard-working employees.

Applications Engineer

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Analog Devices full-time

Pros

Some useful experience. Getting experience after graduating from college.

Cons

Worse job I ever had. Other than getting experience after graduating from college, I see no future here. Supervisors, managers, and coworkers are belligerent (fueled by egotism), moody, and disrespectful. Some of the supervisors work half days, others offer no mentoring and encouragement. A few years ago, one of my coworkers quit within months of being hired for these reasons. He/she was extremely frustrated and couldn’t stomach the culture. Higher labor grades mock and denigrate employees below them for entertainment - having fun at someone else’s expense. Employees showing strong aptitudes in skill set A are forced to do tasks B, C, and D without the training needed to succeed. Hard-working employees are overworked and setup for failure. Supervisors are more concerned with practicing their golf swing in the hallway (virtual golf club in hand) while chewing gum with an open mouth or leaving early to go to a game, golf-course, etc. rather than taking the time to initiate and/or discuss the development and advancement of their reports. Layoffs every November (sometimes October too now). Employee surveys voiced many concerns time after time, but nothing changes. As a result of the disconnect between employees and supervisors/managers morale is low.

Advice to Management

Employee surveys voiced many concerns time after time, but nothing changes. What are the surveys for? Does upper management view the results?

9. Corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, MA

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

Employees are incredibly friendly and the engineers work hard to deliver industry-leading products. Employees get excited about the value that ADI provides.

Cons

I would have liked to see more opportunities for cross-departmental socialization. Also, I often heard that people felt like the culture at headquarters was too serious ... but I tend to disagree with that complaint. I thought the culture at headquarters was incredibly friendly and open.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to reach employees in fun, out-of-the-box ways. I had the sense that employees were always looking for more direction from leadership so that they could do their best work.

10. Good

I have been working at Analog Devices

Pros

Great place to work and learn. People are very friendly and you get to work with some of the best talents in semiconductor industry. Company has very high quality standard not only in products but also in the work ethics.

Cons

Pay is not that great compared to Bay Area standards.

11. Awesome place to work

I worked at Analog Devices

Pros

Stability, good mentors, knowledgable teams

Cons

People need to retire fast

RSS Feed </> Embed