Analysis Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Analysis Group President & CEO Martha S. Samuelson

Martha S. Samuelson

Pros
  • very supportive environment, challenging work, very smart people (in 11 reviews)

• The job is interesting and challenging (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very limited work-life balance, which isn't a bad thing in itself if you like what you're doing (in 12 reviews)

• At its worst, it's long hours of rather droll work (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Well-Run Company

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEmployees are smart, interesting people that I enjoyed having as colleagues. Management is great and treats employees very well. Training for new employees is very good and I learned a lot from working there.

ConsWhile the day to day work was very enjoyable, there was not a huge positive societal impact. Also, hours could sometimes be high, but I found them to be overall reasonable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

It was great

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat compensation, smart people, and the company cares about you

ConsWork can get repetitive, working with lawyers is painful

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more variety of work

Challenging work for bright and motivated people.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Non-hierarchical. If you have great ideas then people want to hear them.
    - Dedicated professionals who care about delivering a quality product.
    - Senior management recognizes achievements large and small
    - Good mix of quantitative and qualitative analysis. AG excels at developing rigorous quantitative analyses and communicating them in ways that are accessible to people without the same level of quantitative expertise.
    - The work is relevant, important, and challenging.
    - The company has grown every year in recent memory, including during the financial crisis.

Cons- The obvious downside to working on challenging projects is that they sometimes require long hours or work on weekends. While this job certainly isn't 9-to-5, I don't know of many intellectually challenging jobs that are. The upside to the occasional late night or weekend is that senior management is generally quick to recognize when people go above and beyond.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide opportunities for bright and motivated young professionals to take on responsibility and ownership of large and important projects.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top-notch reputation and quality; great people

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHigh expectations combined with a culture of genuinely nice colleagues who go out of their way to pitch in and who are invested in you personally. Theme is "if we're all in this together, let's make this as pleasant as possible for each other." Firm continues to gain national prominence and is growing rapidly.

ConsSometimes long, unpredictable hours, but it's the same as with all client-driven industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the firm continues to grow rapidly, senior management needs to continue to invest in the AG culture.

universal competence, frequent brilliance, great culture.

Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCoworkers are all, at least, very smart. Several coworkers border on brilliant. This would be intimidating if the culture were not so casual. That guy down the hall with a Ph.D. from MIT, who taught at Harvard for a bit, he goes by Bill and his door is always open. AG is a great place to learn and grow in an environment where excellence is the norm. This is especially true for analysts. The firm knows you'll be moving on to grad school after a few years. Top b-schools not only regularly accept AG analysts, they actually come and actively recruit on an annual basis. The firm is supportive enough to cater lunches for these presentations and hold work shops for not just the analysts who will be applying to grad schools, but also the senior managers who will be writing their recommendations.

ConsAnalysts are expected to navigate the informal "labor market" largely through their own initiative. This can be stressful and intimidating, though it ultimately gives an unbelievable amount of flexibility in terms of finding work and coworkers that you enjoy. Hours can be tough to predict, and when they get bad, they can stay that way for weeks on end. Expensable meals and cab vouchers ease the burden, but these stretches can be rough. It isn't impossible to self-select away from the type of cases that get crazy though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it informal, continue to encourage camaraderie both in and out of the office.

Great alternative to academia.

Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible work hours/dress code, collegial environment, good benefits

ConsNot the top paying job?

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed PhD's that can manage analysts.

Excellent Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe work at Analysis Group is very interesting. There are always a lot of projects based on a wide variety of industries and topics. The employees are all very smart and humble. There are very few arrogant employees. The organization is very flat and most of the managers are approachable and always will make time to talk. There are also a lot of great amenities in the office, such as bottled water, soft drinks, snacks, cereal, etc.

ConsThe types of projects are limited and can be repetitive. Some of the managers are ineffective and do a poor job both managing employees and also managing client expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe semi-annual review processed could be improved with more quantitative ratings. Also their should be more professional development resources available to analysts, especially more focusing on soft skills like presenting, communicating, and managing teams.

Economic Consulting

Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWorking alongside focused, intelligent, and diligent economic minds. Many opportunities to develop programming, statistical, model building skills. Excellent introduction to big data.

ConsAt its best, it's fascinating work from the meta (economic theory, major industry players, precident setting litigations) to the minutia (modeling development, programming, document reviews). At its worst, it's long hours of rather droll work.

Great place to work with very intelligent economists/statisticians

Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery smart people, experts in economics, kind atmosphere, intellectually stimulating work, great place to learn statistical modeling and programming, high profile clients, lots of work and room for expansion

ConsThey say that there is a lot of freedom to try projects in different industry areas, but in reality that is quite difficult to do. Unlike the bigger consulting firms, there isn't a strong people operations function/team that coordinates project choice and flow among analysts and associates to ensure that people enjoy their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the culture of the firm and in people operations. Conduct happiness surveys to gauge how employees feel.

Great company in a challenging industry, with some growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people are incredibly smart, friendly and collaborative - some of the best colleagues I've ever had the pleasure of working with. They've done a great job on the hiring front by filtering out people with outsized egos.

ConsThe nature of the industry makes it nearly impossible to maintain a healthy balance between work and life. The clients are mostly lawyers whose schedules are at the whim of the very whimsical US legal system, and consequently so are the folks at Analysis Group.

The staffing model is a little unusual for a consulting firm, and while it may have served the company well at a lower headcount, it doesn't seem to have scaled very effectively. It's increasingly difficult for new people to overcome entrenched working relationships and seek new/interesting work opportunities within the firm. This makes a new hire's initial case team placement a crucial decision which, unfortunately, he/she has little input on.

Worked for Analysis Group? Contribute to the Community!