Analytical Environmental Services

David Zweig

1. Solid Employer and Wonderful People

Former Employee - Administrative Assiustant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assiustant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reliable, steady employer. Good pay and excellent benefits. Especially health, dental, 401k, profit sharing etc. I was not used to all that. Also got both mid-year and Christmas bonus which really helped at the time.

Cons

Mostly great people but a few unhappy jerks made my life difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep up the benefits and maintain the office atmosphere. Screen your new hires better. Even when it is busy, a bad hire is worse than having no one.

2. Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Environmental Analyst I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity. Small company and therefore broad exposure to all aspects of environmental consulting, from technical environmental issues, client interaction, regulators, and business aspects. Very experienced and supportive senior staff and management. Fast paced and always busy. Merit based company so good reward and pay (bonuses) for hard work and quality work products. David Zweig, the owner, is focused on quality work and not taking shortcuts in doing the job right.

Cons

No real formal training programs. Learn as you go.

Advice to Management

Too hesitant to deal with "toxic" employees who drag the rest of us down.

3. Avoid this place at all cost!

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services

Pros

Great coworkers, location, new building, nice bathrooms.

Cons

Horrible pay, lack of respect, and no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay rate and show some respect.

5. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Environmental Analyst I in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A rewarding job and excellent work environment. It is refreshing to work with dedicated professionals who are happy to be where they are and doing what they are doing. Unlike some other environmental firms (which i have experienced), AES is well managed, ethical, professional, and a great place to work. Several long term staff have been at the company from the beginning, and form a stable senior team. There have been plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. Management is effective in weeding out non-performers or downright nut cases who can create a negative experience for the rest of us.

Cons

Variable work load seems to be the nature of consulting, but the peaks seem to come more often than the valleys.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, and don't be intimidated by the occasional "bad apple" disgruntled ex-employee (we all know who he is and we do not buy in to his campaign) who tries to tear things down.

6. First job and never left

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A small but extremely successful and stable environmental consulting firm. David Zweig, the company president, gave me a chance right out of college and 7 years later I am still here as a senior member of the team. We have high profile projects all over the country, and a great group of dedicated colleagues to work with. Very performance focused, so people who work hard tend to excel. Good compensation and benefits including merit bonuses and profit sharing.

Cons

Not all that structured in terms of training and career path.

Advice to Management

Need to hire more people to keep up with work load.

7. Job Seekers Beware!

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Opportunities to gain a diverse range of experiences.

Cons

Absolutely terrible workplace environment. The CEO (as previously mentioned) is a bully, and operates from a foundation of greed. The employees are extremely unhappy, mostly due to being unappreciated and treated like disposable, unworthy, morons by said CEO; this creates a very toxic environment, full of negativity and resentment. Every new employee that has the misfortune of crossing paths with AES immediately regrets accepting the position and seeks employment elsewhere. VERY high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings.

8. Owner has questionable ethics, spies on employees, has tenancy to yell, bully, and make women cry at the office.

Former Employee - Environmental Analyst I in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Analyst I in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

high turnover, many opportunities to gain diverse range of experience (on tribal projects) expects employees to assume a very high level of responsibility. A good place to a variety of experience in the early stages of your career. It's easy to get a raise if you're in good with the clients and tell the owner you've received another job offer...works every time.

Cons

The owner/boss is an megalomaniac with questionable ethics. Every former (and current employee) has a horror story to share....like the time we were tasked to help a housing developer identify a suitable Tribe to purchase land just outside the city limits of Davis so that they could take the land in to Federal Trust, then develop it as housing to circumvent the agricultural buffer/no development zone agreements between the City of Davis and Yolo County! i've also watched him make several female employees cry at work, heard him chewing out staff, allowed his son to load games on my work computer during weekends, and he monitors email traffic of all staff. He "built" his business by stealing away all Tribal clients from ESA...(esa..aes...ew, couldn't he think of something a little less obvious?)

Advice to Management

suck an egg

9. Great working environment

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A fast-paced and rewarding job. David Zweig, company President, was a great mentor and genuinely cares about employees and clients. Office filled with dedicated and talented professionals and support staff. Event though it is a small company, AES is a leader in its field. Performance-based compensation system is very generous for those who excel at what they do.

Cons

Small company, so lacks some of the big-company corporate benefits. Also, nowhere to hide for those who just want to surf the internet. May never grow into a corporate conglomerate.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on excellence.

10. I have been with AES for many years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Excellent company to work for if you are, 1) interested in environmental consulting; 2) motivated to learn; and 3) open to constructive criticism that will in return help you to grow and prosper in your field. I am currently an employee of AES and would recommend this firm to anyone wanting to be a part of a great team.

Cons

I do not have any cons. I really enjoy being part of this team.

A good foot in the door, but not a place conducive to a career

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services

Pros

A good place to gain experience in most aspects of environmental consulting. They don't really have specialists, but rather generalists that are made to do work on everything

Cons

Very negative work environment. David Zweig was an awful boss. No positive encouragement by project managers. Very low salaries compare to other consulting firms. High turn over rate.

RSS Feed </> Embed