Analytical Graphics Reviews

1. A wonderful company that treats its employees well

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Analytical Graphics

Pros

Amazing work environment. Very low drama or politics. Everyone there just wants to get things done and the workforce is pretty competent across the board, especially in technical disciplines. I've never been at a company where I have felt more valued before or since. Great family environment, too, with lots of community outreach and family activities. The workforce has a wide variety of experience levels, so there is always someone to learn from.

Cons

Because it's so great there, there isn't much turnover, which means there aren't a lot of positions that open up to grow into and there are decades of happy employees ahead of you when it comes to career advancement. Also, the culture can sometimes be *too* nice without taking corrective action to employees that get too comfortable.

Advice to Management

Set clear, high standards for all employees. Almost everyone meets these already, but it's demoralizing when the people that don't never improve.

2. Very interesting aerospace projects in a small group of a talented team

Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time

Pros

Worked on several different projects in various sectors of the aerospace industry. Not limited to NASA, DoD, only etc.

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult sometimes but where isn't it anymore?

3. Fantastic product, great work environment, smart colleagues.

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

System Toolkit (STK) is a fabled product; an industry standard simulation software used in the aerospace/defense
    industry as well as in academia. The product is really unbelievably cool; and it is an honor to work with the
    subject matter experts and the engineers that helped bring the product to its current state.

Great perks: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym and laundry.

Cons

Working in the defense area has its challenges when the going is rough, but that is common knowledge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

Transparency, good people, and interesting software engineering/aerospace products make for a rewarding work experience

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AGI has a good stock of extremely talented people. It is good to be part of a culture where everyone seems to care about pulling their weight and maintaining relevant and sharpened skills in their technical areas of expertise. It is not uncommon for groups of us to break away from lunch in the cafeteria (more on that later) to watch online courses and talks on leading practices in our industry. To the next extreme, there are several on staff that author industry leading publications. There is no corporate mandate that makes us do this, we all seem to want to be good at what we do; I think that is an important corporate culture.

AGI reciprocates this effort put in by the employees. Most notable (to me at least) is that AGI has a kitchen crew on staff. This isn't just french fries and burgers (although we all love burger day). It varies from day to day, but we'll have asian stirfry day, taco day, cheese steak day, beef in red wine sauce, sushi day, and so on. There's always a sandwich bar, salad bar, fresh pizzas. All of this is free; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is not uncommon to occasionally bring the family for dinner. There is also a free gym in the building, free laundry machines, amongst other perks.

Perks aside, I'd like to point out AGI's commitment to communication and corporate transparency. Every friday, we do a bigger than normal lunch. While we all eat, someone from senior management runs the event we all call Story Time (for historcial reasons). We learn about upcoming business opportunities, see technical demonstrations of new work coming out of engineering, sales updates, corporate strategies, and so on. Every week the company is giving us a pulse on the company and where we are heading. This is opposite of what I’m used to seeing in industry; typical organizations trickled down information through the levels of management.

For career growth, I see a ton of opportunity in this company to make a difference in our products. Our software is an industry standard (my perception before I joined the company), and it means a lot to me to add value to the products. Your job is what you chose to make out of it, and there’s no bureaucracy here to keep you from getting what you want out of your career. Quite the opposite actually, as I feel I’ve been given amazing opportunities and my professional career has grown more than I could have imagined.

Finally, I feel as there is good stability in this company. The products developed here fill such an important role in our industry that I can’t imagine a future without them. 25 years of product development has allowed AGI to establish itself as a leader in Modeling and Analysis in the Aerospace industry. If I’m not mistaken, we’ve finished one of our best quarters and fiscal years in the history of the company.

Cons

The company is investing heavily in new product development -- wait that doesn’t sound like a con. The problem is that we are spread too thin maintaining our flagship products and advancing future products. We all want to see more progress, but can’t quite reach the velocity that we need to get there. As a result, a lot of us are wearing many hats, and we lack talent redundancy in essential areas. I’d also like to see the company more proactive in providing upgrades workstations and laptops. My expectation is that as the flywheel gains momentum on these new initiatives, these problems will dissolve.

Sinking ship

I worked at Analytical Graphics

Pros

Good work life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

No loyalty to workforce. Management does not take ownership for company's shortcomings.

Great Benefits, But a Career Killer

I worked at Analytical Graphics full-time

Pros

Free food! Gym. Flexible working hours. Good-hearted employees.

Cons

Any professionalism you bring to the job will disappear since this company has no professionalism. Your strong work ethic will be compromised as you realize that it doesn't matter to management if you work hard or it you put in 20 hours of mediocre work a week, despite being FT. Senior management will listen to your suggestions, but ultimately will ignore anything they don't come up with themselves. They do not make good business decisions, allowing poor performers to stay and incentivizing high performers to leave. While top management may think they are doing the right thing for their employees, they are misguided and will not accept this criticism no matter how many employees or consultants say the exact same thing. The other negative reviews are spot-on.

Advice to Management

Let go of ego and make business decisions based on fact not gut-feel.

Once Great, Now Just Circling the Drain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some perks still left like catered meals and flexible schedules. If you like to steal office supplies and food while management turns a blind eye, this is the place for you. If you love to play games like Mahjong and Minesweeper, while your co-workers' complaints fall on deaf ears, come on in! Do you get tired after eating a giant, barely edible lunch? Well, just take a nap at your desk, or relax with a novel. Management won't notice, and if they do, they'll never say anything. Don't forget free Facebook, YouTube, and fantasy football for all!

If you've got an engineering degree, it's a great place to move into management. There's no need to know anything about the department you'll be managing. Communication skills and experience are not an obstacle for moving into a management position. If you suck at what you do, chances are good that you'll be moved up, not out.

Cons

If you're an independent thinker, look elsewhere. If you have a specific set of skills you'd like to apply to solve a relevant problem, keep walking. This was once a great place to work, but in a changing marketplace the management has no idea how to adapt to stay competitive. One year after laying off 20% of our employees with no cuts to middle and upper management, AGI is suffering from massive talent hemorrhaging (MTH) and is completely rudderless.

Advice to Management

Maybe take a few business classes. Cut management. Cut employees that are problematic or blatantly unproductive. Cut employees that openly steal time, resources and supplies from the company.

Used to be a great company

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Extremely flexible hours
    Interesting customers
    Tremendous perks (free food, gym, laundry)
    97% of the company is very sharp and great to work with
    By far the best aerospace company in Philly area

Cons

Poor core benefits (below average salary, no 401k match, high healthcare costs)
    Bonuses are unattainable
    Business is struggling with no new products on the horizon
    No opportunities for career advancement
    Nepotism and cronyism abounds
    Poor business strategy based mostly on hope
    Very top heavy, recently laid off 20% of the company without letting go of a single manager

Advice to Management

Review
    The heyday of AGI was the stuff of legend, unfortunately those days are long gone by. Recently AGI has struggled to adapt to the changing market conditions. STK is a powerful, but niche product and AGI has done a good job of saturating most of their potential customer base. AGI is reluctant to look towards new markets which is preventing any meaningful growth. Rather than creating new commercial products AGI has begun to focus on more contract work. Unless there is some true change AGI has more rough road ahead.

A great place to work...when the government is throwing money around

I worked at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AGI is a great place to work on really cool technology in the aerospace industry.

Unlike the larger companies, you can have a significant impact right out of college with plenty of opportunities to work on special projects and move around the company laterally.

Barring a few exceptions, the people are great to work with and will help you learn a lot about the software and aerospace industries.

Cons

Management is top heavy and hasn't really changed in 10 years despite poor performance. They are not receptive to new ideas and rely on hope as their strategy.

Pay is on the low side and bonuses are unattainable, but they manage to keep talent with free food and fun atmosphere (although that has changed over the last few years).

Visibility and activity are the keys to salary growth. It is a popularity contest and the cheerleaders come out on top every time.

The product is incredible, but in most cases not necessary which makes it difficult to sell when the government is not throwing money around.

Overall AGI is a good company that strives to do right by its customers. I am sure the tide will turn for them and all will be good. Until then, proceed with caution.

Advice to Management

You have smart employees who know the product and know the market. Listen to them. Follow the market not your ego.

Great Company - tough industry

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented, wonderful culture, decent pay. Management is flexible and approachable.
    Good work/life balance. Exciting industry. Company perks top notch

Cons

Very process oriented, even for sales. Engineering minded from the top down. Industry is highly affected by politics and government budgets or lack there of. Customer base is widespread and thus sales people must often share sales opportunities.

RSS Feed </> Embed