Anaplan Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Frederic Laluyaux

Pros
  • It's exciting to be part of a company that clearly has competitive advantage, positive energy, and is growing like crazy (in 3 reviews)

• They are committed to hiring the right people for every role which a special focus on people with the right attitude for a fast-growing company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • New hire training isn't as structured as other companies (in 4 reviews)

• Very complex technology can be hard to grasp but training/new hire tracks are a high priority, work in progress (in 2 reviews)

1. Fast-paced company - execs need to slow down

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, intelligent, motivated people. Hyper-growth company is exciting, and allows for a lot of independence.

Cons

Employees are not always seen as a priority. Execs are focused on growing the business, and hard work is seldom recognized.

Advice to Management

Take some time to let your employees know they are appreciated. Show it, don't just talk about it.

Nice people, fast pace

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Options to work remotely, a variety of snacks, open office environment.

Cons

Hard work seldom is rewarded / noticed, high turnover, lack of internal communication.

Advice to Management

Hosting happy hours on Friday doesn't equal company culture.

Great company with some pains

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product: Anaplan as a product has great potential and is adding new enterprise customers constantly. It could really revolutionize the space if it isn't bought out. Career Growth: Because the company is growing so fast, it presents a huge opportunity to move up in the company. Work hard, be highly assertive, and you can advance quickly. People: The people have been very friendly in a professional way. It's pretty uncommon for coworkers to spend time together outside of work, but that's starting to change as we add more people to the organization. More coworkers are organizing activities outside of work hours (running, kickball, etc), and it is having a positive impact on the culture. Culture: In-office happy hours weekly, out-of-office happy hours monthly, free snacks in kitchen, and catered lunch once a month. Compensation: Anaplan pay is above average.

Cons

Compensation: This was also included in the "Pros" section. Anaplan has some issues around honoring agreements and timely payment. The sales team is still waiting to be paid on Spiffs that closed in mid-May (they're telling us we will be paid at the end of August now). Additionally, they changed the terms of the contract after the fact, ilkely because they felt that payouts would be too large. Diversity: The Exec board is entirely white, mostly male, and mostly former SAP employees. This is true for most of the company, but it becomes slightly more diverse as you get to the lower level employees. Promotions: Anaplan has a habit of incenting employees with promotions and not following through. HR here is a joke, and can't (or won't) do anything to solve the problem. I've seen more than a few cases of employees not getting the promotions they were promised until they had an offer letter from another company in hand. I've also seen many great employees leave because they got offer letters at other companies, and Anaplan wouldn't give them the promotion they were promised.

Advice to Management

Your vision is ambitious and impressive, but stay focused on the employees who already work here. If you promise something follow through, whether it's pay, promotion, or anything else. You run a huge risk of losing experienced employees who feel like their voices are no longer being heard or they're not getting the career and pay advancement they work hard for. Additionally, hire more employees outside of the typical Anaplan mold. The lack of diversity is a turn-off for many qualified minority candidates who could add significant value to the company. While the company is extremely welcoming to all, it can be hard to see that from the outside when it looks so homogenous.

5. Real review from an engineering person

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Friendly office staffs Snacks in the office Once a month free lunch/happy hour

Cons

CEO does not convey if we are targeting to go IPO Not profitable and most employees think it will never be Salary and share options are a joke, should have think twice before joining UK devs treats US devs like 2nd class citizens (last time we checked we are silicon valley devs not farm devs) Wasteful expenditures by exec teams (We are aware our ceo is French, but really? a France office for what?) Series funding is 50% gone Team silo's everywhere 95% of the hires are mostly referrals and friends from oracle/sap, the company is unable to hire real talent Customers runs the company Some unprofessional managers and directors in the technical teams Present itself having a startup vibe, though clearly not Young HR team, no real experience VPs can't make proper decisions, each of them are trying to make each other look bad

Advice to Management

You guys made it worse. Start taking care of the current employees, give proper bonus, salary and promotion. Most of the US engineering teams will leave soon.

Slowly moving forward

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The overall idea for the product has promise despite that it is not a true cloud application.

Cons

Technical leaders are not really technical in SF. The UK team is not very good but believes the opposite. Big egos and not much to back it up. The CEO is mildly engaged but not technical at all. Would move on but there is still a little bit of opportunity here. Many other startups with more promise and better leaders.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and realize that San Francisco is the technical hub, not the UK village with 20 programmers.

The professional startup

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anaplan is a startup competing in a field dominated by capital-E Enterprise companies (Oracle, SAP and IBM) and they know it. This means that everything Anaplan does has the professional nature of a larger company, which is refreshing after coming from a couple larger startups that were desperately trying to hang on to the "small startup" vibe. It's OK to grow up. This extended to the hiring process. It was by far the fastest, most communicative and best hiring process I've ever been through. It felt very collaborative and professional (to use the word again). In terms of product, Anaplan really does have the best in class in the market place among the second generation of ERPs. It's got inherent speed and flexibility advantages vs. the legacy players as well. They make all new employees train on the product which is a policy I am in support of. In terms of people, Anaplan has great people. You actually don't see a ton of Stanford MIT Harvard, instead you get Arizona, Cal, Maryland and some others. They've hired fantastic people from these schools, and without the pretentiousness. The company skews a little older and has a good male-female ratio. Anaplan does a good job of promoting internally with people moving up or across the organization quite frequently. Compensation is top notch as well.

Cons

The marketing program has been under-invested in. Anaplan's world class product doesn't look it from the website or Youtube videos. There's a lot to be done here, but the company also knows it and has made it a big priority. Product education is another big item on the to-do list. It's a very robust and full-featured product so it needs a lot of education surrounding it. The training material is outdated and not nearly as polished as other elements of the brand and product.

Advice to Management

I would be more aggressive with marketing initiatives and redo + streamline the training materials and customer success portal. Both of these things are public facing and both should be up to the level of polish that we bring to everything else.

Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Anaplan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anaplan moves fast and is a place where your contribution can make an immediate impact on the company. Culture is important to Anaplan. I have been impressed by the shared vision and commitment from management and my coworkers. Anaplan has a lot of very smart and engaging people. At the SF headquarters, they have breakfast every Monday, snacks anytime and Friday afternoon happy hours. I love my job and my coworkers. I enjoy going to work everyday. What more could you ask?

Cons

If you are looking for a safe job doing the same tasks every day then Anaplan is not for you.

Advice to Management

Management cares about its employees. They are open and approachable. They have a strong vision for the company -- and this has resulted in hyper growth. They have a truly unique product in the marketplace. Keep up the good work!

9. Talented Management Team

Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My shares will be worth cash someday! Hopefully, a lot of cash. That's all that matters to me, because I'm a startup guy. I can live with the big egos of management, as long as they produce.

Cons

As long as my shares get converted to cash the rest is irrelevant. This is my first write-up on Glassdoor. I felt compelled, because I saw the haters. I've been at 9 startups in 11 years. One had a liquidity event, and I'm waiting on Anaplan to be my second. I didn't care for the management, but knew they were competent. I'd rather work with competent management then idiots who were nice and gave me free lunch.

Advice to Management

IPO. Cook the books. I don't care, just ipo.

Toxic Culture

I worked at Anaplan full-time

Pros

- Good external rep as a "hot startup" - Hip office - Monthly Happy Hour - Good compensation

Cons

- Toxic culture - Many VPs/Execs with poor leadership skills/not operating at that level - More ex-Oracle and ex-SAP people than startup veterans

11. Awesome work environment!

Pros

- Great culture - fast-paced environment - hyper growth - weekly happy hours - career growth potential - hands on management

Cons

There is nothing as of yet

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed