Anasazi Foundation Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.8
Michael J. Merchant

1. This is a place where magic happens, families come together, and hearts are turned homeward.

Former Employee - Trail Walker (Behavioral Health Paraprofessional) in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Trail Walker (Behavioral Health Paraprofessional) in Mesa, AZ

Pros

At Anasazi you don't just have a 9-5, you become a part of people's journeys. As a Trail Walker (Behavioral Health Paraprofessional) you go out into the forest for 8 days at a time with a group of young people and help them navigate the wilderness and process their feelings and thoughts with a new person who is there because they care and want to help.

Cons

Plain and simple: it can be hard to be out there at times. The elements are unpredictable and it can be too hot or too cold or too wet or too buggy but with patience and time anyone can learn how to remain relatively comfortable in the outdoors. Another factor is the schedule. It is 6 days on, 8 days off so this can be a big change for people who are used to a routine daily schedule. It can also be difficult to take on the emotional baggage of others who have been through so much. It takes strength and heart. Luckily Anasazi is the most caring place I've ever worked. Support pours from fellow Trail Walkers, Ridge Walkers, and all the staff at the office. (I know this sounds cheesy and too good to be true but it's for real! I'm just a former employee who has a lot of love for this place because I've seen what it can do for myself and others.)

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. Greatest place to change your life forever

Former Employee - "TrailWalker" Or Behavior Health Paraprofessional in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - "TrailWalker" Or Behavior Health Paraprofessional in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Anasazi Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned more about myself, interpersonal relationships, and how to find the positives and the lessons in every task and every experience, no matter how difficult. You don't have an excuse to blame anyone else, with mother nature providing the only consequences any of the children have, the are given an unparalleled learning tool to see themselves and begin to care about their impacts on their own lives and others. -You get an amazing workout through excruciating hikes each week, whether in the summer heat or the freezing cold, you'll learn how to adapt to anything! -12 days off a month, lots of free time to travel around, visit family, or do more off week hiking! -You yourself benefit from the program as well or better as if you were a student. You have awakenings all the time, and always new amazing stories to share!

Cons

-8 days working straight. Sometimes this mean very little sleep, and the exhaustion can run through most of your six days off. Not for everyone. -Pay could be better, but at least more time than not you're not even home racking up electricity or food bills. They're non-profit anyways, so it's hard to view this as a negative. -It's like a nursery for the soul. It's lovely and necessary for growth, but at some point you have to move on. :-(

Advice to Management

Perhaps better training in PCS? Fortunately I never needed to use it, but I sure didn't feel confident in my skills at it either. I hear that there is no longer a "Speaking of We" each week. BRING IT BACK. And if you could, perhaps teach the TrailWalkers some small skill with each one, as well. As great as it was learning with the kids, I feel I would have been far more beneficial spending more time teaching them.

3. Life changing with life-long lessons.

Former Contractor - Trailwalker in Mesa, AZ
    Former Contractor - Trailwalker in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Anasazi Foundation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll learn things with Anasazi that everyone should get a chance to learn, while helping youth. Living in the wilderness 8 days on, with 6 days can be difficult, but you will learn lessons that will transfer into your future in ALL aspects, family, work, marriage and friendships. You will also learn wilderness skills, and how to communicate. I wish everyone in my family and every child I know had a chance to experience Anasazi.

Cons

If you are not Mormon you will be one of the few if not only one. The longer you work there the more "trail gossip" is hard to stay away from. From what I've heard, the more you can stay out of, and know little about the office politics and history the better. A few of your co-workers may be overly optimistic/naive to the point of being a little out of touch with reality. As long as they're not above you, you'll be fine. If you don't like getting dirty, this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Good Buffalo Eagle (the founder) is amazing.

5. MAJESTIC! Client or Employee, Anasazi will change you forever

Former Employee - Trailwalker in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Trailwalker in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Anasazi Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In 4 months I learned more about interpersonal relationships than I have in the last 20 years. Also had more fun than I remember having a very, very long time. ^_^ Absolutely epic. I honestly wish this was a required rite-of-passage for teenagers in our society. Why this program stands out above other wilderness therapy programs: - 2 weeks of training. They are very serious about having qualified field staff. - Mentors everywhere. They are the funniest, most inspirational, caring people you'll ever meet. - Anyone will drop anything at a moment's notice to talk to you. Literally seen people take half-cooked food off the fire to listen before they even knew what the topic was. - No "contrived" punishments. We rely on natural consequences to guide the Young Walkers. Besides enhancing safety, this ensured that changes in behavior were heart-deep... The Young Walkers came to care about the IMPACT of their choices, rather than the punishment they personally had to face. Plus: - You'll get ripped fast. - Astonishing scenery. Varied. Every week is like something straight out of a movie.

Cons

Hardest thing I've ever done. The hikes are long and hot and hard. There are flippin' hordes of biting bugs. The people you walk with are imperfect. But the fact that there are imperfections is VITAL to this program... If you didn't have anything to fight through, you would have no opportunities to develop the strength of body and soul. Only real con is that you can't stay forever. ^_^ I miss it a lot, especially the quiet simplicity of living happily without electronics.

Advice to Management

Oh, Management has already listened to my concerns. =D Standard procedure during exit interview. They even took notes. Management here was awesome at taking out comments to heart and turning them into solutions.

6. Best Experience of My Life

Former Employee - Trail Walker in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Trail Walker in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Great summer job. Really hard, but its great working with the the kids. The benefits of working with the kids is much greater than anything you can imagine. Working 8 days on 6 days off might not be your thing, but as a young guy with a summer job, I loved it.

Cons

Hard to do once you get married, may be impossible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed