Anchorage School District

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stepping stone job.

Sub TA (Former Employee)

I worked at Anchorage School District part-time for less than a year

ProsThe work is flexible so it just depends when you want to work

ConsLittle to no training available

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the Sub TAs so we arent so clueless

Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Anchorage School District full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStudents, co-workers, classroom supplies, independence

ConsTop-down management, pointless inservices, pay

Teacher at Anchorage School District

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with a dynamic, ethnically diverse student population. Many schools have newer media technology such as white boards or Smart Boards and laptop carts for use in the classroom. Some schools have wireless internet access. Some school buildings have been recently remodeled.

ConsIn many schools, teachers are not treated professionally. Teachers frequently have an unrealistic workload (multiple preps, large class sizes, many IEP meetings, "traveling" to multiple classrooms, etc.). This short-changes the students as much as it does teachers. Inadequate planning on the part of school administration or the District leads to disruptive last-minute changes in teaching assignments or curriculum.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeachers are content-specific experts; assign courses according to that expertise. Students will benefit from this action, especially at the high school level. In order for teachers to be most effective with students, treat them with kindness and respect rather than contempt or suspicion.

With kindness, all manager are respectful, and working with kids great!

Substitute Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anchorage School District

ProsGood benefits, everyone treated with kindness, managers are generally understanding, they make an effort to try and work with you. Most people have long-term employment with the school district.

ConsCompetition is stiff, if you are planning to move up, it could take months before positions are able to be opened.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Improved and Fair

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anchorage School District

ProsThe Sub Finder system has been improved over last year. Substitute teachers are treated fairly, and there are bonuses for working over 100 days per school year, or consistently at difficult schools.

ConsIn the position of Substitute teacher, it is really difficult to know where you will be working from day to day, but that's just the nature of the beast.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn optional benefits package would be really helpful, if you offered it to the substitutes who work consistently, making it available to subs who work more than 30 days per school year, perhaps.

The only district in Alaska with any civilization to speak of.... Well, Fairbanks has got some too but -40F is too cold

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Anchorage School District

ProsThe Anchorage School District offers some of the best school programs in the state of Alaska. If you want to teach in a charter school, Anchorage may well be worth looking at closely.

ConsASD is heavy in admin but not particularly supportive. The individuals there are generally nice enough - but many are there from the days when jobs were plentiful and teachers were hard to find who were wiling to work in Anchorage.

Advice to Senior ManagementASD should focus upon quality in their teaching and admin staff. Too many decisions are based upon politics. Decisions, especially staffing decisions, should be based upon data.

Worked for Anchorage School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anchorage School District reviews and ratings in Alaska — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anchorage School District CEO Jeannie Mackie. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Anchorage School District employees.