Anchorage School District

15 reviews filtered by
3.5
Jeannie Mackie

1. ASD

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to flex with other staff is a plus. The time off to spend with family during the year is great if you have a student in your family.

Cons

Some of the more difficult positions are the least compensated overall. A lot of folks have to have another job just to cover basic expenses.

2. So...so

I have been working at Anchorage School District

Pros

As a sped sub TA the flexibility of where? when? and for how long a job assignment is needed for completely depends on your schedule. And depending on what area of town, and how far you are willing to commute is completely left up too you. The schools that I did sub at gave me the opportunity to wean out where, and where NOT to sub at...Ever again!

Cons

Too many to name. Working as a sped/roving sub TA on & off for a little over a year now; I would have thought that after a couple-plus interviews/applications of interest that I would of been considered acceptable for "at least" a second interview, or better yet a FT position...Nope! They like to short change the sub TA's. But yet there always in need of subs. The sub finder system is constantly full of endless job assignments. Hmmm! Go figure!?

Advice to Management

Not too sure. Other than what someone else wrote regarding something along the lines of training us subs so we won't be so clueless. Agree

3. Respect

Former Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One thing I can say is that the ASD respects its teachers.

Cons

Anchorage is a city of republicans and this can be difficult at times with school bonds and such.

5. Loved working here for the last 6 years!

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good salary and benefits! I loved the principal I had and the staff I worked with.

Cons

There is more stress on teachers with the new curriculums, larger class sizes, and increase in responsibilities with the budget cuts.

Advice to Management

Teachers need more support with behavior kids. It usually takes a year or so to get any kind of support and it is disrupting the learning of the other kids in the classroom.

6. It was an ok job

I have been working at Anchorage School District

Pros

union
    summers off
    retirement
    benefits
    holidays off
    normal work schedule

Cons

wishy washy
    union
    no support from supervisors
    full of drama

7. Working at ASD is a good experience.

Current Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in Anchorage allows you to experience city convenience while being close to the wild nature of Alaska. Anchorage school district is a relatively large district with large district resources.

Cons

With the large nature of the district sometimes is is difficult to work with bureaucracy. There have been changes lately in high level administration which has been difficult for some.

Advice to Management

Consider the importance of employee buy-in.

8. You experience will differ based on the school you work with.

Former Contractor - Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Contractor - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training opportunities, collegial supports, ability to transfer between school sites when openings arise. The charter schools seem to offer the best opportunity for an educator to find a school with a more consistent mission that can be identified as a good fit for employment, versus a school with more broad, district-wide policy and curricula changes.

Cons

High class sizes, limited resources, extremely prescribed curricula in some schools. The district is very large, and this makes for an abundance of upper management decision making and poor communication with stakeholders. Morale among staff varies between schools and is highly impacted by the principal, without any clear opportunity for teachers to share in decision making unless there is a competent, skilled principal encouraging input.

Advice to Management

Overly generic screening interviews for specialist positions work against your ability to hire someone with focused skills in high needs areas such as low-incidence spec populations. High teacher turn-over is schools should be an indication that the principal may not be a good fit.

9. Stepping stone job.

Former Employee - Sub TA in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sub TA in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is flexible so it just depends when you want to work

Cons

Little to no training available

Advice to Management

Train the Sub TAs so we arent so clueless

10. Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students, co-workers, classroom supplies, independence

Cons

Top-down management, pointless inservices, pay

11. Teacher at Anchorage School District

Former Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with a dynamic, ethnically diverse student population. Many schools have newer media technology such as white boards or Smart Boards and laptop carts for use in the classroom. Some schools have wireless internet access. Some school buildings have been recently remodeled.

Cons

In many schools, teachers are not treated professionally. Teachers frequently have an unrealistic workload (multiple preps, large class sizes, many IEP meetings, "traveling" to multiple classrooms, etc.). This short-changes the students as much as it does teachers. Inadequate planning on the part of school administration or the District leads to disruptive last-minute changes in teaching assignments or curriculum.

Advice to Management

Teachers are content-specific experts; assign courses according to that expertise. Students will benefit from this action, especially at the high school level. In order for teachers to be most effective with students, treat them with kindness and respect rather than contempt or suspicion.