Andersen Tax Reviews

Reset
2.4
Andersen Tax CEO Mark Vorsatz
Mark Vorsatz

Pros
  • less hour than a big 4, learn more because you are completing a tax return from start to finish (in 6 reviews)

• Very smart and knowledgeable upper management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long work hours during busy season (in 12 reviews)

• I guess the only con I see is work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. Very cliquey

Former Intern - Tax Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of potential for the future of the company. The CEO is very motivated and knows how to keep employees motivated as well.

Cons

I'm not sure about the other offices, but at the LA office I worked at, the employees were particularly clique-y.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

All the bureaucracy of Big 4 without the brand recognition or training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

They'll hire pretty much anyone who shows interest
    They are growing rapidly
    If you can tolerate it, and stick around you're pretty much guaranteed to get promoted every couple years.
    Life as a director/MD seems okay.
    During non-busy season, people hardly have to work.
    20 PTO days per year is generous

Cons

-It is extremely hierarchical Associates are seldom invited in for calls and there is zero client contact at junior levels regardless of advanced degrees.
    -While they pay lip service to wanting to grow the commercial side, in practice, the focus is almost completely on the HNW segment. There is very little consulting work on the commercial side and even less training.
    -The only training you get at junior levels is how to fill out forms.
    -LA office is dominated (at junior levels by an Asian mafia.
    -at junior levels, there's no opportunity to focus on things that interest you (unless filling out forms interest's you)
    -Bonuses are minimal (i.e.<5% unless you kill yourself during busy season)
    -same for raises
    half the partners force associates to print every work paper out and put in binders which takes hours. There's zero effort at going paperless or at standardization.
    -one of the "pros" is that if you stick around long enough you'll make director, but the downside is that people end up getting promoted beyond their level of competency.

3. Tax Intern

Former Intern - Tax Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, plenty of happy hours, opportunity to explore different fields.

Cons

Busy season was, ironically, not busy for interns. Difficulty getting work due to inefficiency factor of delegating assignments to inexperienced interns.

RUN don't just walk away from this company

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of one other than end of busy season parties where there is an open bar.

Cons

I've worked in corporate environments my entire life and never have I had to deal with such a massive group of vile people!

Work load is horrifying and you're expected to carry the load of 4 regular employees. I worked there over a year and can count on my two hands how many times I had a chance to take a lunch. Sure I could take a lunch if I wanted but that would mean spending my evenings in the office (no thanks!).

Management was a complete joke. When your manager is never in the office to truly guide you, what's the point of them being around at all? My title quickly turned into getting work done so management could claim it as their own.

Company - There is no corporate culture. When a company rises from the tainted ashes of Arthur Anderson, what more is there to be expected? I truly hope they shape up and see how miserable they're making their employees

Advice to Management

Most of your employees don't truly understand that when they "work form home" they should actually be WORKING. There needs to be a better structure in place.

6. Great place

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

Really smart people...mostly with big four or law firm backgrounds training program is definitely a strength and there is a lot of emphasis on technical development.

Cons

workload is uneven, but that's true in most places.

7. Amazing talent, friendly co-workers, approachable partners

Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People here are very friendly and very smart/accomplished coming from prestigious universities.
    The technology is good. I have efficient computers and new laptops/computer mouses/keyboards. There is IT support on site and if you e-mail IT they get back to you fast.
    The office setting in downtown LA is pretty. Nice cubicles, offices, and view.
    The coffee machine and company events are nice.
    Lots of perks during busy season.
    Good eateries around the office.
    Very good clients. Growing company. Great talent. The partners used to run Arthur Anderson, they are basically on par with Big 4 partners in terms of experience, talent, and connections. This new company is only 10 years old and growing under this talent which is sure to be a success.
    The partners are very approachable.

Cons

Parking downtown is expensive.
    Not much I dislike about this firm. I'm loving my job.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting good talent!

Unbelievable

I worked at Andersen Tax

Pros

The building is a nice facility and located in a great location. My incoming class of new hires I became especially close with out of solidarity.

Cons

WTAS is a glittering example of how not to run a company.

Hours of work during "busy season" (tax deadline season twice a year) are more than investment banking hours. Management mismanages client work and fails to communicate the urgency of needed client documents.

Management and leadership care little about your professional development and merely seek to maintain their book of business from the Anderson days.

Turnover speaks for itself, as it surpassed 40% when I was employed there.

I've been told other offices are better with culture, learning, and hours. Los Angeles is the black sheep of the corporate family. Looking back, I see WTAS as waste of of my professional time.

Advice to Management

Retire and give the reins to new blood who understand how to run a company. It may be a CPA firm, but organizational capacity and professionalism run real organizations.

RSS Feed </> Embed