Andersen Tax Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Andersen Tax CEO Mark Vorsatz
Mark Vorsatz

Pros
  • less hour than a big 4, learn more because you are completing a tax return from start to finish (in 6 reviews)

• Very smart and knowledgeable upper management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long work hours during busy season (in 12 reviews)

• I guess the only con I see is work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

ok place

Current Employee - Tax Associate
    Current Employee - Tax Associate

I have been working at Andersen Tax

Pros

good place to start, wealth of experience

Cons

long busy season hours, poor management

Advice to Management

reduce turnover

2. Review

I have been working at Andersen Tax

Pros

The firm is very good at tax services

Cons

Smaller office in the larger firm

Not an environment I want to spend my career in...

Former Employee - Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

They are building a good business and have good relationships with clients. If I needed tax preparation work, I'd probably use Andersen Tax, but I wouldn't ever work at a company like this. Life is too short for crappy employment!

Cons

My experience may be similar to other large accounting firms, but from speaking with my friends working at the Big4, I think my experiences at WTAS (now Andersen Tax) were substantially worse. Here's the gist of it:

The firm didn't have a good process for copying tax returns so they asked every tax preparer to copy their own returns, get all the envelopes and "sign here" stickers placed, and put the copies in the nice packets. This process consistently took about 1 hour to do for a typical return. I spent 2 months perfecting the process until it took 22 minutes and I never had to walk over the same floor space twice. Then I presented what my improvements to managers and asked that we hire two meticulous temps during busy season, who I would personally train, so all the rest of us who were working our butts off and frequently sleeping under our desks could focus on tax return preparation instead of photocopying. The response was, "that's a wonderful idea, but 3 people before you have tried the same thing to no avail."

I'm not willing to waste my life working for a company that isn't willing to accept the gift of productivity improvement from it's employees. I found a job within 2 weeks and was gone.

Accountant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax

Pros

Dedicated staff. Opportunities for learning. Creative clients.

Cons

Sour management. Technology embarrassingly behind the times. This is Silicon Valley! The CEO and many Managing Directors foster a sycophantic atmosphere where people are afraid to speak up or counter Management. Awkward promotions that don't make sense. The recreation of Andersen may or may not be a good idea. Time will tell.

6. Tax Associate

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a wide variety of experience in all kinds of tax. Most people are easy to approach with questions or concerns. Management is extremely knowledgeable and strives to pass this knowledge along. Employees get along well and have various social gatherings outside of work.

Cons

There is a heavy workload during busy seasons but that is to be expected at any firm like this.

Rigid hierarchy. The company is trying to recreate Arthur Andersen of 2002. Questionable ethics

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dinner provided during busy season. Offices are in good locations. The company provides an education budget of $1,500 per year.

Cons

As of the name change from WTAS to Andersen, all employees carry the burden of the Arthur Andersen name. Lack of investment in technology. Slow to adapt to market pressures. Business model that encourages inefficiency. Marketing efforts lack adequate financial support. Individual performance metrics are not defined. No meritocracy. Rigid hierarchy and subservient culture.

Advice to Management

Define performance metrics. Facilitate communication between job levels. Base performance on team revenue.

All the bureaucracy of Big 4 without the brand recognition or training

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

They'll hire pretty much anyone who shows interest
    They are growing rapidly
    If you can tolerate it, and stick around you're pretty much guaranteed to get promoted every couple years.
    Life as a director/MD seems okay.
    During non-busy season, people hardly have to work.
    20 PTO days per year is generous

Cons

-It is extremely hierarchical Associates are seldom invited in for calls and there is zero client contact at junior levels regardless of advanced degrees.
    -While they pay lip service to wanting to grow the commercial side, in practice, the focus is almost completely on the HNW segment. There is very little consulting work on the commercial side and even less training.
    -The only training you get at junior levels is how to fill out forms.
    -LA office is dominated (at junior levels by an Asian mafia.
    -at junior levels, there's no opportunity to focus on things that interest you (unless filling out forms interest's you)
    -Bonuses are minimal (i.e.<5% unless you kill yourself during busy season)
    -same for raises
    half the partners force associates to print every work paper out and put in binders which takes hours. There's zero effort at going paperless or at standardization.
    -one of the "pros" is that if you stick around long enough you'll make director, but the downside is that people end up getting promoted beyond their level of competency.

9. Great Company that Cares About it's Employees

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great everyone really works together in order to get the projects we need to do done. The open door policy allows you to have direct relationships with upper management and this allows work to be completed much more efficiently. The job is challenging and face paced, and allows you to work on a variety of different tax projects.

Cons

Only Con is the extensive work that needs to be done during busy season, but this is expected at any tax firm or accounting firm for that matter.

10. Fantastic people, lots of opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with excellent management. World class professionals. Great culture and healthy work environment.

Cons

Sometimes the pressure to keep the company growing and expanding can put pressure on the staff's salaries.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Tax Associate

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

Starting salary is better than other Big 4, that's how they are trying to recruit new people.

Cons

Upper Management lack of communication. Office politics is common

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn how to retain good people. Don't just hire them and fire them after finish utilizing them in tax seasons

RSS Feed </> Embed