Anderson Merchandisers

Updated September 20, 2014
2.3

Anderson Merchandisers CEO Charlie Anderson
Charlie Anderson

Pros
  • Working with music and movies and getting free movies every now and then (in 13 reviews)

• somewhat flexible work schedule, independent work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A silly amount of work to do in a 4 hour day (in 7 reviews)

• Sometimes dealing with part time employees can be difficult (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

we'll work you when we need to.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser  in  Dickson, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Dickson, TN

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time for more than a year

Pros

if you like books and cds this is a fun job.

Cons

no benefits to part-timers. sometimes work 20 hours per week; sometimes work 5 hours per week.

offer modern equipment from the 21st century.

Not all change is good

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Was a neat job...but then.

Cons

This company is trying to grow and change with the times, but they are behind the curve. Music and movie sales are dying and so they are getting any contract (big or small) and trying to run with it. There is not enough time to do any of it right, so everyone gives each task a low priority. Management is a joke. Policies where you get wrote up and eventually fired for time clock errors that are not your fault because the system does not always work right. There is a reason they have been sued many times in the past and saw another one get started recently. Run away. Not worth your time.

Fire all management and get in some people to turn around this ship. It is sinking...

Started out well, but now.....

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You work mostly on your own with very infrequent mgmt visits

Cons

The activities we are asked to do are way more than any person can get done in a 40 hour work week. We are told if we cannot complete an activity, to basically lie and say anything except the truth, which is that we did not have time. Surveys are very repetitive. Vacation days are granted, but (in my experience) there's is nobody to cover you and therefore you will have to try and do twice as much work before and after your vacation. Stress level is very high, as corporate's response to any concerns we have are a lot of flowery words for "deal with it". We were told when they restructured our pay that there would be opportunities for bonuses, yet I have not seen one. I have been here 8 years and am making less now than when I started. Raises are non-existent. Help is non-existent ( I have been told for years now that I was going to get some part-timers.....not yet!). And all this is without getting into the frustration from wal-mart!!!! This company has gone downhill.

Keep your promises....if you say we get bonuses, give bonuses!!! We need more help in the field.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field works hard, corporate seemed directionless

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with the team I built as a District Manager. Pay was competitive, though tied to commission on declining products. Insurance and 401k were poor and below industry standards.

Cons

No work life balance at all for management, work dominated my life daily. Leadership at corporate seemed directionless and communication was poor. The company spent millions of dollars on an initiative without figuring out how to make any profit from it. This huge loss of money was a big factor in causing layoffs. Layoffs that I had to do. The company seemed to struggle to find a way to stay relevant and profitable, when their business model was so outdated.

Find new senior leadership who can create, and communicate, a clear plan for the future.

Not For Everyone

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a retail job, it's a pretty set schedule. You are pretty much your own boss, with no one breathing down your neck or constantly micromanaging you. As long as you are getting the job done, the management pretty much leaves you alone.

Cons

The pay for the area is ridiculous. It's enough for me, but compared to similar positions, it's nothing. You sometimes have to deal with store employees who don't like you being in their store. There are no yearly raises.

Come up with incentives for the associates. We need yearly raises, not just 'when you feel like it' raises.

not too bad

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers

Pros

somewhat flexible work schedule, independent work

Cons

weekend work, not much help or support from management

Great merchandising job

Current Employee - Sales Merchandiser  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Merchandiser in Houston, TX

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers part-time for less than a year

Pros

you work at best buy and you are pretty much your own boss

Cons

bad hours. not very flexible and you have to work tuesdays and sundays at 7 AM

don't make it mandatory to work on Sundays.

Work Smarter, Not Harder

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Anyone out there reading this who has been with the company a while will understand exactly what I'm about to say. For those of you who are new - listen up. The company works off percentages. I make the analogy of an overbooked flight. We have too many activities-too much work to adequately complete in any given week. Therefore, some things have to be bumped. Yes, goodbye, sayonara. Maybe we'll meet again next week, but for right now.....

Look at your tasks/activities and do the best you can. What you can't do in the demanded timeframe needs to be answered "unable to complete at this time". (if the quota isn't met by others, the activity will return again next week...so you worry about it then...if it's been met - happy days and hey, it's clear you would have run yourself into the ground the previous week for nothing, BUT the company gets paid for making the quota...and it happened....WITHOUT YOU)

You can drive yourself crazy trying to complete everything to the level you know our third party clients expect. Forget it. Do what you can and say goodnight. Once you adopt this attitude, your life will take on a level of serenity the company would NEVER advocate.

Understand the company is not going to change....they have their agenda. The field staff need to take control (because we can), since we are the ones out there implementing their (too many times screwed up) directives.

So....do what you can and realize the rest of the field staff is doing what they can.....and therein lies the percentage Anderson is looking for in order to get paid. End of story. If your DM gets on your case about xyz "Yes, I'm a litle overwhelmed, can you send a PT or someone to help me out. please". What can they say?. Let's hear a case of a DM firing a FT for the inability to complete all activities .Anyone?

Cons

Hmm...I'm a little jaded from listing the pros.

Oh, this makes me tired thinking about it. But if I had to list one thing- WM Market Managers!!!! please get them involved to support the field staff.

If You Think Working at Headquarters Might Require a Little More Honesty, Read On

Former Employee - Price Protection Processor  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Price Protection Processor in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am not there. And I only had to endure a little bit of humiliation and hell to get out of there.

Cons

I was hired to fulfill a newly created position after an audit found neglected accounting led to a $2 million company loss. While my manager enthusiastically interviewed me for the position, my direct supervisor obviously opposed the very creation of the full time position itself. Her blatant resentment of my college education did not help.

For a month, this supervisor begrudgingly trained me well enough for me to realize her reluctance wasn't personal: she feared anyone fulfilling the obligations of my particular position would, by nature of the job, reveal to upper management the aforementioned accounting error might lay squarely on her shoulders. For too long, vendors asked for money and, without researching the veracity of their claims, my supervisor authorized company payment. In her defense, she was overworked, too. And she had not scratched her way out of the warehouse to give up this easily.

Mysteriously, over the course of the month much of my training's progress stalled. But all the while my supervisor reassured me we were in no hurry; she was slated to stay by my side for the six months the training would require. She patiently spent two days showing me how to organize and reorganize my company GMail account. After all, I.T. did not even load my computer with the necessary programs to perform my job until my third week. In my down time, with her approval, I offered to write a manual of the tasks I was learning so others could learn them as well. Despite the obstacles, I was knowledgeable enough of all but two of the many requirements officially listed in my job description to write about them in full detail.

After my first month's training with my supervisor constantly beside me - instructing me well after I'd mastered the tasks and promising me I was learning quickly and doing great - I was pulled into my new employee progress interview by both the supervisor and my once-enthusiastic manager. There they told me my comprehension of my job's duties was, indeed, too slow, and I was fired on the spot with no opportunity for rebuttal. Both refused to speak to me as my supervisor watched me pack my things and escorted me off the premises as if I was, ironically, the criminal. Oddly, everyone within my cubicle's vicinity was given the day off so my coworkers were spared the opportunity to say goodbye.

Following my departure, the position returned to that of a part time temporary with limited access to certain company confidentialities and no employee protection against termination (as if there ever was such a thing). This was exactly what my supervisor desired all along. And you thought company coverups were limited to those silly surveys. With $2 million dollars missing in a Texas desert, it pays to be shady.

Oh well. To the heartless go the spoils . . . and the karma. Didn't someone say they're hawking car batteries now? Far cry from the Nickleback days, eh, Amerch?

Your company is disgraceful. and I hope you sink into the sand.

Working for Anderson in the North Canton, Ohio district

Former Employee - Merchandising Sales Representative  in  North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Merchandising Sales Representative in North Canton, OH

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for Walmart in the electronics department. I was a merchandiser. I really liked being up to date with music and cd's. The fellow Walmart employees were good to work with.

Cons

I worked under a Territory Sales Rep that was just not a happy person. Very bitter about life. Would treat other managers very well, but looked down on anyone that wasn't.

Not everyone is meant to work with the public. This particular case proves that.

Worked for Anderson Merchandisers? Contribute to the Community!