Andersons Reviews

Michael J. Anderson

1. Welding fabrication

Former Employee - Metal Fabricator Quality Control in Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Metal Fabricator Quality Control in Maumee, OH

I worked at Andersons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Human resource department is there to help the employee if there are any problems in the department the employee works in I think it's better than being in a union.

Cons

At times it takes human resources a day or two to get back with to answer your questions.

2. Retail Manager

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Toledo, OH

I worked at Andersons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family Oriented Company. Most holidays off and time and a half otherwise. Long term employee retention. 401K for part time and full. Music while you work.

Cons

Poor upper management. Same problems, never get fixed year after year. Bad managers get promoted , not let go. The retail buyers are burnt out, and contribute to problems at retail level. Retail will always be retail, don't expect to get promoted to the fortune 500 side of the company, without advancing all of your skills.

Advice to Management

Replace president of retail, who is not qualified to manage retail. Nepotism is not a good business manager. Listen to your trusted employees, and give them some credit for having good ideas. Retail has a HUGE identity crisis.

3. Great place to start out, but not to stay.

I have been working at Andersons part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, most people are really friendly, loved the people I worked with, vacation hours after a year for part time.

Cons

The pay sucks. And you only get raises once a year which aren't that great. I think the highest I received was about 15 cents. I worked there for a couple years and ended my hourly pay at about $8.50.

Advice to Management

Give employees the raises they deserve.

5. Sales Clerk II

I worked at Andersons

Pros

-Flexible company -Friendly Company IT team with direct line.

Cons

-Not enough tasks -Citrix software issues

6. Good environment, not many advancement opportunities.

Former Employee - Live Nursery Sales Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Live Nursery Sales Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Andersons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I consider The Andersons a good place to work for retail, at least in specialized areas (i.e. Nursery, Bakery, Home projects, etc.) I believe most positions pay higher than minimum wage to start (around $10/hour). They have a decent orientation program and then a training program that encompasses the ideals of the company that you have to complete within 60 or 90 days. They are open 8AM-9PM Mon-Sat and shorter hours on Sunday, so there is flexible scheduling. The staff is fun and diverse, it's a good place to start out and get experience. If you are lucky enough to get a full-time position, the benefits are good, and there are even some benefits available for part time employees as well based on your length of employment, which you don't see at many retail establishments. The owner and corporate employees are frequently visiting the stores to give feedback, and you will see Dan Anderson go WAY out of his way to help customers, and even if there is another employee standing right next to him, he will step forward to help first and not be upset. The man truly loves his business, which is always nice to see.

Cons

Not many advancement opportunities. Getting a full-time job in the retail sector is really hard, and a long process. Some micromanagement, but nothing too extreme. Limited duties and responsibilities at the retail level as most of the big decisions are handled through corporate, they will ask for your opinion sometimes, but don't always seem to listen.

Advice to Management

All in all, a good place to work. The Andersons has the family business feel. If there is any way to add more advancement opportunities or let the "little guy" be heard more, please incorporate. However, I think you are doing a great job and working here is more rewarding than some of your competitors for sure!

had fun working with my coworkers and the job was flexible

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Andersons

Pros

The job is flexible, opportunities to advance into a higher role if committed. The coworkers are nice and management is good. Flexible, and work-life balance is great

Cons

potential of working with rude customers

Advice to Management

Give bigger raises

8. I began with no applicable experience and left with a solid understanding of grain origination and commodities trading.

I have been working at Andersons full-time

Pros

They are strongly loyal to their employees, taking the view that a stable workforce is the cornerstone of a stable company. Their stated mission - to serve God and benefit the world - are spoken often and are printed on the back of many employees' business cards. They are, however, still a commodities trading company at base and in dealing with other firms do not shrink from capitalist tenants.

Cons

When stability is highly valued, any company tends to try not to fire lack-luster performers. This can lead to less motivated, less competent employees.

9. Wonderful Place To Start a Career

Current Employee - Billing in Maumee, OH
    Current Employee - Billing in Maumee, OH

I have been working at Andersons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything is Good here actually

Cons

Nothing is Bad here actually

Advice to Management

None

10. Cashier Specialist

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Andersons part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

detailed training, friendly co-workers, nice annual gift cards

Cons

very difficult to move up in the company, pay isn't the best, old technology

Advice to Management

Give stores better technology; system upgrades, better phones.

11. This was one of the worst companies I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Andersons full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was freedom to come and go as you please. That's about it.

Cons

You are set up for failure at this place. There is a huge lack of training. The Employee College is a joke! You don't get anywhere with hard work and honesty. The office culture is untrustworthy. Good people get fired. I have seen people at work drunk and high working on railcars and they somehow get to keep their job. The railcar crews get to do whatever they want and still keep a job! They can be a no call no show for two or three days and still keep a job! They can be late every day and walk off of the job and still keep a job! You are not paid what you are worth unless you are in an upper management position. Trust no one. Everyone has a motive. Favoritism is rampant throughout the company!

Advice to Management

Instead of convincing yourselves that you have all of the answers, take some time to figure out what the true problem is within your operations. Stop coddling and dealing with grown men who act like babies and find hard working men who want to work and prove themselves as a viable resource to the Brand and the company. Stop being cheap and give your employees the quality of life they deserve.

RSS Feed </> Embed