Angie's List

Angie's List Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Angie's List CEO Bill Oesterle

Bill Oesterle

Pros
  • The people are great and lifelong friendships were made(in 8 reviews)

• Laid back dress with great pay for a call center(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Only get promoted if you are friends with upper management(in 7 reviews)

• The demands placed on sales reps is extremely high and exhausting(in 6 reviews)

Engaging and respectful workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe culture is undoubtedly phenomenal and they truly make you feel as though all employees are valued. Upper management listens to you regardless of your status and there is generally a high level of respect for all ideas, coming from the highest executive to the new employee who just got his bachelors.

ConsThe management seem to be ridiculously busy in terms of how frequently they are held up in meetings throughout the day. Regularly getting in touch with someone you need to can be difficult and take multiple attempts. It makes working on some deadlines frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome, just set aside more time to respond to emails and keep in contact.

One of the best

Member Care Representative (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat schedule
    Decent starting pay
    SOME advancement opportunities
    You can go right to Angie herself and talk to her.

ConsManagers not really around to assist you.
    Warning system prevents you from transferring departments, even if you know you will be better in another department.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess meetings and more floor time. Training could be a little better in regards to not just throwing everything right at a new employee all at once.

OMG! WOW!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI have never worked in such a relaxed culture! Coming from a newspaper environment to AL has been a breathe of fresh air! Free parking in downtown is rare, maximizing Salesforce to increase sales/productivity and what impresses me the most is the commission structure! For example, at 104% an Account Manager earned a commission check in excess of $5000! While there is a call goal of 35 calls/2 hours of talk time, your commission check is not contingent upon or held hostage if you do not meet that goal- allowing you to strategically pursue sales opportunities and focus on quality calls (and not quantity GANNETT!).

ConsI am not a big fan of the open cubicle but, in comparison, it beats working in a dilapidated dirty office with black soot on the ceiling.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Angie's List is one of America's fastest growing companies. Love the corporate culture here.

Big Deal Consultant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe best reasons to work at Angie's List is the laid back atmosphere and the updated corporate atmosphere. Managers here are focused more on results and less on whether you wear a tie to work or not.

ConsNothing significant. Parking is an issue at times. Other than that there is nothing too bad about working here. Overall everything is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though the company is now publicly traded, I think Angie's List is successful because they care about their employees and I think that should remain the focus moving forward.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, good compensation, room for promotion

ConsConstantly moving target, lack of training, no management vision

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a plan, any plan.

Good opportunity from the company but the middle and upper management execution isn't where it needs to be

ECommerce Consultant (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat work/life balance. Company always encourages having fun while getting your work done.

ConsLack of a clear direction by the company weighs on the employees. Inconsistent messages from middle and upper management make it difficult to know what's going to happen next.

Not a place to settle in

Data Verification Specialist (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood culture, events,extracurricular activities, casual atmosphere, and dress code.

ConsLack of strong leadership, low pay for the work, lack of consequences for bad behavior and double-standards. How well you do really depends on who you know, or how well-liked you are. It needs to catch up with its own growth. Good people but unfortunately lots of turnover. Your overall experience with AL changes drastically on what dept you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees equally.

Great Idea poor implementation

Ad Sales Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsNo rules, if you know the right people you can make a lot of money.

ConsNo rules. Your career and finances are based on who you know and nothing else.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fun place to work.

Member Service (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThis company is a great company to work for. They don't discriminate against anything; the more tattoos you have, the more extreme your hair color is helps you obtain a job with Angie's List. They want everyone to be themselves and make coming to work fun.

ConsYou are expected to make a $500 monthly bonus every month or you go into a series of warning cycles that are impossible to claw your way out of. You can transfer to any part of the company one you have been in the position for at least 6 months. They have so many rules and regulations that they will search for a reason to fire you. You must be open to change. They will reward you if you can make it, but if you start slipping in the rams of your fellow colleagues they will just overlook you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management? Well...there needs to be a management structure first. When you have to continuously surpass your direct supervisor to get any questions or issues resolved then there is no need for the assistant managers. You can save a lot of money by firing them all.

Strategic Account manager

Advertising Account Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsYou have the ability to make your own your schedule, if you hit your numbers. The pay and compensation are pretty good.

ConsCommunication among the company is terrible. Senior management is weak, and director management is even weaker. The facilities are in poor condition.... Hot in the summers, and cold in the winter. There is nothing in the future pipeline... maybe international expansion if they can get their act together.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication among the company is terrible. Senior management is weak, and director management is even weaker.

Worked for Angie's List? Contribute to the Community!