Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Anheuser-Busch President, North America Luiz Fernando Edmond

Luiz Fernando Edmond

Pros:
  • "Above average pay as well as free beer"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Two free cases of beer per month for employees"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Probably a place that respects their work-life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Long hours are expected, but then again, where aren't they"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worked hard, but grew and learned a ton

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

ProsGreat hands on experience, learned a ton, given responsibility. Learning curve was very fast.

ConsExpectation of hours worked, weekends, etc. Can't have both spouses work with kids.

Very hard work, little appreciation

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

ProsDecent pay, good bonus potential, extremely challenging, if you love to work 15 hour days you will love it here

ConsNo work life balance, management promotes favorites, mgt hypocritical (they cut costs then charge the company for their kids' school)

Once a great place to work, now just a grind

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent money and benefits, although InBev eliminated the salaried pension plan soon after it took over in 2008. Nice emphasis on safety and wellness. Free beer and corporate discounts.

ConsAB InBev is seemingly obsessed with numbers. Every year new performance and budget targets are set so all departments are forced to do more with less money and personnel. All managers are under constant pressure to find ways to save. This has negatively impacted employee morale, the physical condition of the facilties, and product quality. Raises are promised to those who meet their targets but they are unreasonable so hardly anyone does. Lots of competition for promotions, which is the only real way to increase salary.

Most of the experienced brewery managers and supervisors left or were forced out due to job eliminations in the 2008 takeover. Replacements are mostly new college hires who practically have to train train themselves and the learning curve is steep. Long hours, weekends working outside your normal department, and rotating shifts are a fact of life. AB once expected their managers to know the jobs of the people they supervised as well as their own and be experts in one or two areas. AB-InBev wants the managers to know just a little bit about everything, This leaves the day to day running of the breweries in the hands of the increasingly disgruntled hourly employees, who have been asked to assume duties formally handled by management with no increase in pay.

InBev has forced a complex and rigid facility management system on all the breweries called VPO, one of over 400 acronyms the company uses. The system generates the metrics that drive all decisions which often appear to be obsure and illogical to lower ranked employees. It can seem that top management is more concerned with running the business than they are with making and marketing beer.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the short term savings will have long term consequences.

Overall great experience, work life balance could have been better.

Asheville, NC

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time

ProsSteady work with fun atmosphere in market place.

ConsWork Life balance could have been better.

Losing experience fast....

Senior Key Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBest beer company in the world. Great brands, great people, great wholesalers. Well respected by retailers and competitors. I wouldn't work for any other company in the beer world.

Cons- Bonus system is highly flawed. Senior Management pulls levers that enhance their bonus, but make it difficult for frontline sales to hit theirs.
- Pay is at 80% of the market rate. No real opportunity to ever get to 100%. It would take 8 years of 3% merit increase to get to market rate. And HR recommends merit increases only every other year, so 16 years, not taking inflation into the equation.

- Spend too much time on planning, only to have things changed at the last minute.
- Little communication between management and frontline sales
- Great wholesaler partners no longer trust the company

Advice to Senior Management- Start living the "Ten Principles" instead of using them as a punch line.
- Beer isn't sold from a cubicle. Get yourself and your people out of the office and in the trade.
- You can't replicate the experience of your current employees with talented SMTs/GMTs. Pay to keep the experience you still have and put better processes in place to grow the young talent you have. They (SMT/GMT) need to learn/experience at a more normal pace. Remember, some regions had a policy of 2 years in a position to fully understand the cyclical nature of our business. More people will respect the program if these "trainees" are properly trained.

Making friends is our business

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pride in the product is great and rubs off on you. Professionl environment, first class equipment and facilities. Positive experience.

ConsPerception that working there mean you drink a lot, the opposite is more likely. Not as many perks with InBev in charge. Miss the family style heritage. Peolple asking for free tickets and everything constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay sharp, there is alway a competitor waking up early in the hopes that someday they will be #1. Programs that waste disturb money make them vulnerable, one size doesn't fit all markets.

Work harder, play harder

Brand Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDriven culture, very smart people, fast career progression, almost unlimited marketing resources and a great open and social atmosphere. The events and sponsorships you will be able to attend are second to none. AB is sponsor every major event in the country. This is a nice perk for all the hard work you will put in.

ConsThe work never stops, management is never satisfied with results and there is clear lack of leadership and direction at some of the most senior levels. They are adding a ton of internal processes which make the work even more difficult to get done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees in a genuine way, not because you have to. It is fundamental to human nature, treat others how you want to be treated. Invest in better technology for your workforce.

Great benefits, not great work/life balance

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome pay
Fun people
Challenging work

ConsLots of busy work
Long hours
Inefficiencies

Was great until Brito took over!

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

ProsFree beer, tickets to sporting events, the people

ConsLazy boss, massive layoffs, perks all cut off, benefits increased in price

Great place to work

Co-Op (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch part-time for more than a year

ProsReally fast paced environment, and a great employer that cares about their employees

ConsSometimes positions are understaffed causing very long work hours

Worked for Anheuser-Busch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anheuser-Busch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anheuser-Busch CEO Luiz Fernando Edmond. All 192 reviews posted anonymously by Anheuser-Busch employees.