Anheuser-Busch

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Anheuser-Busch President, North America Luiz Fernando Edmond
Luiz Fernando Edmond

Pros
  • Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month (in 35 reviews)

• 2 free cases of beer/month--even for interns (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is moving in the wrong direction (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, but then again, where aren't they (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Top down mentality

Current Employee - Hourly in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Hourly in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health and vacation benefits.

Cons

No respect for skilled workers. Horrible work life balance. There's a reason the company hires young managers with no family life.

If you really want to be #1, figure out how to treat people with respect. That will attract quality people and make existing employees want to work hard for you.

Misery on tap

Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big bonus *potential* (but read the Cons for more on that). Good resume-builder.

Cons

Base pay is well below market rate, and they dangle the carrot of a potentially large bonus...but it doesn't pay out reliably. Combative, contentious environment. Work-life balance is horribly skewed. Best for people with no families, hobbies, or any other interests outside of the machine itself. Agencies and vendors are squeezed to extremes, from unreasonable payment terms to reverse auctions where they bid on the ability to execute their own ideas. Strained relationships are the norm. Employees are overworked and under-appreciated.

The model of acquire, cut costs to the bone, and repeat has worked so far, but it's not sustainable. At some point, there won't be anything left to squeeze. But by the time that ride comes to a stop, the senior-most execs will have cashed out and what's left will be someone else's problem.

Not for Human Being

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like beers choose this place otherwise find another company.

Cons

Terrible management, Horrble Culture, Low wage workers, Stressed people.

You should have to value your people and creating value through people not talking about your culture. Also, you should have to pay more if you are the biggest beer company in the world, you should have to invest money and time..

Manipulative, Lack of Common Sense...Only the Young Survive

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month.

Cons

All while preaching "One team, one dream", they will deceive and manipulate. I know of several people who were pushed out of their job or gotten rid of in "creative" ways. They will do what they can so former employees cannot collect unemployment.

They care only about the budget, but not with a common sense frugality. They will take away the water coolers, but spend money on decorations for the office. They will deny sales reps, signage and POS for their accounts to have in-house posters printed for the meeting room.

They hire young, unqualified managers, passing over qualified people who have been with the company for years. They falsify timecards so they don't have to pay OT.

It's their way or the highway. When they take over a distributor they change everything, but not for the better. They make everything more complicated and expensive. Our water to the building has been shut off (think no flushing toilets, not water to wash hands), the phones were nearly shut off, the driver's had to get fuel from a much more expensive supplier because they refuse to pay their bills before 120 days.

They no longer credit accounts when beer is not delivered or there is breakage - they literally say "it's their word against ours". We have lost many accounts because of this one policy alone.

There is no concern for the customer any longer. It's almost as if they do not understand they must actually SEEL beer in order to make money, and in order to make money you need customers/accounts.

It has a very foreign feel to it...including important documents that are written with an obvious poor understanding of English.

If you want to stay in business and not over taken by your competition, actually pay attention the local market...not everyone will buy Budweiser and Stella if you "just push hard enough".

Treat your low-level employees like the mean something, because they are doing the REAL work, w/o them there will be nothing FOR you to manage.

My god....worst place I have ever worked....

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The free beer was nice...I'm sure that will be gone at some point...

Cons

I don't know that I can put it all into words. It was the worst experience of my professional career. First of all I was in IT, which is probably a different experience than 95% of other employees there. I have never been in a situation like this, where literally everyone in my immediate area was incompetent. Most surfed the INET all day or played poker on their iPhones....while complaining how things used to be in the "old" company. I was shocked on a daily bases, by the total lack of professionalism and competence. Mgmt seemed very aloof and unconcerned. They were more interested in keeping their own jobs and meeting documented benchmarks for bonus purposes, which turned into a large paper shuffle, with little or no actual work being done. Don't let the InBev, "we love all of our employees" line, fool you either. Your benefits might be cheap...but InBev is constantly searching for ways to outsource jobs and bring costs down further...so Brito and his ilk can continue to get million dollar bonuses. So enjoy that super cheat health insurance and nice 401k while you can, because you could walk in one day and find out your job got outsourced to Brazil.

I don't know what to say, if having an army of mindless drones spinning wheels in a constant struggle to squeeze out a $1 worth of production for .20, then hey, great job...

Bad Dream Turns Nightmare After 20 Years

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the type of work I do. Good vacation package.

Cons

Poor wages and benefits - and getting worse - befitting a second rate company. Treated like a school kid when sat in a room with a couple of managers being grilled on my knowledge of company acronyms. Profit first, safety somewhere, morale nowhere.

Keep your resume' up to date. You might be next.

Crooks

Former Employee - Field Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beer. Wholesaler network. Beer. Co workers.

Cons

Full year bonus determined by voodoo math. Left in early 14, and AB chose not to award a portion of my bonus that was achieved. House of cards. It will soon fall.

Get a grip

Very hard work, little appreciation

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Decent pay, good bonus potential, extremely challenging, if you love to work 15 hour days you will love it here

Cons

No work life balance, management promotes favorites, mgt hypocritical (they cut costs then charge the company for their kids' school)

Losing experience fast....

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best beer company in the world. Great brands, great people, great wholesalers. Well respected by retailers and competitors. I wouldn't work for any other company in the beer world.

Cons

- Bonus system is highly flawed. Senior Management pulls levers that enhance their bonus, but make it difficult for frontline sales to hit theirs.
    - Pay is at 80% of the market rate. No real opportunity to ever get to 100%. It would take 8 years of 3% merit increase to get to market rate. And HR recommends merit increases only every other year, so 16 years, not taking inflation into the equation.

- Spend too much time on planning, only to have things changed at the last minute.
    - Little communication between management and frontline sales
    - Great wholesaler partners no longer trust the company

- Start living the "Ten Principles" instead of using them as a punch line.
    - Beer isn't sold from a cubicle. Get yourself and your people out of the office and in the trade.
    - You can't replicate the experience of your current employees with talented SMTs/GMTs. Pay to keep the experience you still have and put better processes in place to grow the young talent you have. They (SMT/GMT) need to learn/experience at a more normal pace. Remember, some regions had a policy of 2 years in a position to fully understand the cyclical nature of our business. More people will respect the program if these "trainees" are properly trained.

Corrupt! Wish Brito would do an undercover boss!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good health insurance and free beer.

Cons

1. Very sexist company, they very few females we do have working for us have an extremely hard environment to work in dealing with sexual harassment and have no chance of moving up.

2. Long hours, company has no sense of family.

3. Compensation is decent but they have made bonuses so confusing and unobtainable, that very few people get them.

4. No positive feedback, dont look for any kind of appriciation by management, only feedback you will get is negative.

5. No Christmas bonus or any kind of appreciation, all we got last year was a email.

6. Most people I work with are unhappy and are in fear for their job every day they come to work, even district managers feel that way.

7. Ever since AB took over it feels as if they no longer care about customer service, small businesses or their employees.

Ever since AB took over it appears as if they no longer care about customer service or their employees, just the bottom line and where they can cut cost. Too many bosses, not enough employees. Instead of micromanaging with an iron fist, making every employee feel replaceable and in fear for their job every day, i would suggest caring about your employees, listen to them, investing in them and using positive reinforcement. Employees that love to come to work and enjoy their work are going to be more productive. I would also suggest having less meetings all the time and get out in the market and help. Most of us that have large chain accounts have to start at 4AM to finish our route by the very early deadline. Then we are out until 6 or 7 pm putting up pricing, rotating beer, talking to managers because we didn't have time to do that earlier in the day because we were rushing to get our orders in by the unrealistic deadline. Then sometimes we are out to all hours of the night running hot shots. What kind of family life does this promote? Stop changing and making PFP so complicated. Non of us, including DM's understand it. Get more involved and know what is going on in your branches, see it for yourself. I would say hire more females but we have one in one of the branches and I know she goes through hell with all the sexual harassment and hostile situations that she has to deal with. I have seen multiple applications come in for females that are perfectly qualified but our local management refuses to interview any of them.Going to HR for any of us is a waste of time because our HR is just as corrupt as the management. You have such huge delivery problems maybe you should look at your budget and designate more funds to hire more drivers and driver supervisors, can't sell the beer, displays or new taps if it doesn't get delivered. We have had delivery problems for over a year, when does the phrase "we are working on it" run out. Start caring about ALL accounts, not just the wal-marts and large chain stores. I know reps that have lost accounts each month due to non delivery and management doesn't bat an eye. They might be 10 cases a week but that adds up after a while.