Anheuser-Busch

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014

Anheuser-Busch President, North America Luiz Fernando Edmond
Luiz Fernando Edmond

Pros
  • Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month (in 35 reviews)

• 2 free cases of beer/month--even for interns (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is moving in the wrong direction (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, but then again, where aren't they (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid company.

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Pride in making a great product. It's cool to work for a company that has such a solid product and interest. I always had great stories that people were interested in hearing vice most peoples'. They pay pretty well and benefits were top notch. Lots of little perks like theme park passes, free beer, anything related to what they own company wise they'd cut you a perk on. Only company I know of that gives free beer for giving blood.

This is a company that usually does the right thing, that sometimes means a bad short term business decision for long term success. Anheuser-Busch is ruled by a tyrant (AB III) or at least the lasting impression from him. That means relentless quality and housekeeping in the breweries and expensive solutions to problems that probably don't mean crap to the consumer but they do to August Busch. It's nice to work for something that has unwavering principles.

Cons

Work life balance pretty much stinks. The attitude was "we pay you well and give you good benefits so stop whining and get to work". It's one of those companies if you work 6am to 6pm and leave at 545pm you'll get the half joking "wow cutting out early today?" jabs. Overall after reading google and amazon it may not be all that bad.

My beef and reason for leaving could have been isolated (depends on what others say obviously) but I was promoted so fast my pay would only go up 6-8% on each promotion, soon I found myself a golden boy but making 20-30 grand less than my peers who had less results. How do you fix that without changing companies? "Hey HR guy I want an extra 30 grand raise this year". That's a flaw in most companies, but AB was slow to notice it because their turnover was so low that they had 20 others like me with more experience so there wasn't much burning need to notice me.

I was told I was ready for the next level but the jobs I wanted kept getting hand-filled by lesser qualified candidates, often diversity candidates. I'm ok with that occasionally but it happened for three straight jobs in the course of a year. I don't believe my opinion is an isolated one with regards to senior management hand picking less qualified diversity candidates over more qualified candidates. Again, I understand that happens but it just got to be beyond shameless after a while.

I think having so much money and not using it may be the downfall of AB. Corporate offices are bloated and would make a Saudi oil company blush. As a project manager I spent a half million bucks ripping up a concrete floor in the plant just because we knew it would look good for AB III's tours. Other companies would not spend money like that. I put in a big $$$ machine that inspects every bottle to make sure the label doesn't fall across the seam line on the bottle. Every single customer I've talked to could care less. I'm not sure if I'm slamming AB or saying they're relentless on quality. You be the judge.

Perhaps the reason folks are trying to buy you out is because of your relentless pursuit of things the customer may not care about. I'm not sure if lean/six sigma is a real program or just buzzwords but AB needs something like that fast. InBev might take care of that for you.

Anheuser-Busch Houston Brewery

Current Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Great benefits and overtime opportunities, even for salaried workforce. Quality of the products are unmatched.

Cons

Expectations of work-life balance always fall on the side of the company. There are almost no promotional opportunities unless you relocate.

Seek more feedback from the people running the process.

Great company if you can fit in with the culture...

Former Employee - Brewing Group Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Brewing Group Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Who doesn't know A-B? It is fun to work for a company that everyone you talk to is interested in.

Cons

Some corporate BS. The brewing department is a giant clique and you have to break in to the clique to get noticed. You either move up fast or don't move up at all. Also, to advance, you are expected to bounce around from brewery to brewery.

Make the brewing department more accessible to other employees and so that it is not so clique-y

Great working atmosphere , cool beer, lags in technology ...

Former Employee - MIS Specialaist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - MIS Specialaist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Great working atmosphere, Very good team work , work life balace , At least the management I worked with in IT were not control freaks . allowed me freedom to design and develop my own software solutions, pretty much left me independent and I liked that

Cons

Technology wise a little slow to adopt new techonolgies . Too much time spent in gaining varous approvals

COE for IT is sucks, there is no sence of enagagement from resources to projects as they move from one to another

Great company but disproportioned pay reviews, fairly efficent brewery but sales team very wasteful

Current Employee - QA Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Great atmosphere, and high quality products. The brewery is efficent, but currently their sales setup is wasteful and regulary dumps beer due to being over stocked. A-B has a quality program in place that is identical in all its breweries and ensures that all its beer is of the same profile and quality regardless of where it is produced.

Cons

In recent years some lower level staff recieved no pay increase or bonus while senior management revieved up to 20%. There are wasteful sales forcasts which result in the dumping of beer which means the overall operation is not as profitable as it should be.

fairer pay in line with inflation, and the removal of loss making sections within the uk setup.

Once-great company slides downhill on poor senior management

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Industry leader, worldwide scope to many jobs; top benefits and good compensation; many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Top management out of touch with international business, dominates Board of Directors so new ideas are stifled

Board should hire competent senior management

Very good work environment

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

In my group I am respected, listened to, and allowed to explore new ideas. The flex time and work-from-home programs are a boon for work/life management. A-B has an outstanding benefits package, especially vacation accrual. 401k match is also very good, as are health insurance costs. The people I work with are truly professional and very good at what they do. Recently the dress code has even changed to include allowing jeans on any day.

Cons

Things have changed over the past 8 years since I started working there, for the better, IMHO. It used to be that upper management wanted sycophants, and that mentality trickled down, and you were punished for objecting to bad ideas sometimes. But since August IV and Castellano stepped in, there has been a great sweeping out of the old guard and now they "embrace mavericks," or so they say. There is still occasionally rigid encouragement to tow a bad line, but those occasions have become more and more infrequent as time goes on.

Protect your investment in us, and we will protect our investment in you.

Decent place to work...would be better if there were fewer political games.

Current Employee - MIS Specialist
    Current Employee - MIS Specialist

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Lots of different technologies to work with. Two free cases of beer per month for employees.

Cons

Very, very political. Many technological decisions are made (or not made) for political reasons as opposed to technological ones. As an IT organization, the company is far too risk averse. There are too many fears about any changes to the environment. This often leads to stagnation of IT technologies. The company has a lot of legacy environments that persist merely because no one is willing to make a change, even if its for the better.

Stop the petty political battles and foster technological improvement.

Good pay, though some downsides to working at A-B.

Current Employee - Brewing Group Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Brewing Group Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

Excellent Pay, 2 cases a month of beer free, job safety.

Cons

A very "old-school" company. All of the poeple who move up quickly in the company have family members at the corporate headquarters, or are related in some way to senior management. If you dont know anyone who is high up in the company it is more difficult to advance in the company. I do not see talent rewarded as I have at past employers, which discourages some of the best employees.

Show more appreciation for those who go the extra mile. Move past the "good ole boy" system where family members and friends of senior managers and corporate employees are first choice for promotions, that angers the rest of us, which has a bad effect on the company as a whole.

A summer at Sea World

Former Employee - Educator in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Educator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Anheuser-Busch

Pros

The fact that they are very eco-friendly and that they believe strongly in supporting our troops overseas. At the beginning of every show at Sea World they have all the troops active and past stand up to be recognized by the audience. They have a very strong "green" message as well that they represent each and every day. Sea World is a beautiful park where you get to work outside in the fresh air and interact with guests from all over the world. The animals are well taken care of and they give their employees discounts and tickets to come to the parks.

Cons

They are pretty good about giving time off, but since it is in the hospitality industry there are a lot of nights weekends and holidays to work. Also if they are slow they cut back everyone's hours because they are usually overstaffed for the traffic they see. It is a small park where everybody knows everybody and there is a lot of drama between employees and segregation of the different areas. Sea World Orlando can be confusing for tourists who have never been there because it isn't laid out very well and it is very large, so there are a lot of angry lost guests.

Keep living the message you are delivering, but be more hands on with your line workers.