Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Anheuser-Busch President, North America Luiz Fernando Edmond

Luiz Fernando Edmond

Pros
  • Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month (in 33 reviews)

• 2 cases of beer per month for all employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Probably a place that respects their work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, but then again, where aren't they (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Misery on tap

Marketing (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsBig bonus *potential* (but read the Cons for more on that). Good resume-builder.

ConsBase pay is well below market rate, and they dangle the carrot of a potentially large bonus...but it doesn't pay out reliably. Combative, contentious environment. Work-life balance is horribly skewed. Best for people with no families, hobbies, or any other interests outside of the machine itself. Agencies and vendors are squeezed to extremes, from unreasonable payment terms to reverse auctions where they bid on the ability to execute their own ideas. Strained relationships are the norm. Employees are overworked and under-appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe model of acquire, cut costs to the bone, and repeat has worked so far, but it's not sustainable. At some point, there won't be anything left to squeeze. But by the time that ride comes to a stop, the senior-most execs will have cashed out and what's left will be someone else's problem.

poor manegment

Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Perry, OK

Prosdecent pay,good benefits,4 day work week

Conslong hours, shotty equipment, no advancement, lots of weekends,

A Reminder of What I Don't Want in a Job

Group Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCasual environment, able to meet some good people to work with, and monthly beer.... If you think I would say tools given to employees as a pro?? THINK AGAIN

ConsWay too many levels of approval needed to make one decision, slow to react on important needs, bonuses are dangled in front of you but are structured not to be met. Bully front line, mid level management, and possibly Director level too. Scorned/jaded peers due to constant reprimands and no praise. The only way to make it in the cut throat environment is to become "friendly" with different management levels.

It's a shame really- it is one thing to see the commercials that convey nostalgia and American way but to know the working environment is more like the prohibition era when alcohol, sex and group clicks was a way of the times to survive. Good ol' boy practices still strong and visible in many ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere there is smoke there is fire. Listen to your employees..... The ones out in the field. If there is a common thread of concern..... There may actually be a concern. Just because a manager/director and above is liked for their personality at St. Louis doesn't mean they are effective at leading people in the field; those are the ones who feel invincible and can't be touched.

Many high potential employees have left and moved on to companies that VALUE them. Eventually competitive edge will be lost when new high po's choose not to take a risk on working at the company. Good luck.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Beer Packaging and Shipping (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPay is still very good and benefits are still decent, although they have started to be whittled away with the latest labor contract. No doubt this trend will continue. Work/life balance is still very good for hourly employees thanks to weekender relief program as well as decent chances to get weekdays off through the use of floating holidays and single day vacations.

ConsIf you are hourly like I am, you will have a new 12 year old boss about every six months. Turnover is high for management because they have no labor contract, so they were of course shamelessly rear-ended immediately after the takeover. Company used to have a thousand little ways to show you they appreciated you, almost all of those have been eliminated in the wake of the takeover. Company is run by bankers, not brewers. They have lost a lot of their ability to own and grow a brand, all they know how to do is take them over.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain good people in management like you say, you will have to do a better job compensating those people. Right now, you are simply a first step after college before people find a company that rewards them properly for their work. That is, rewards the best and brightest properly. You will be stuck with everyone else.

I was blessed to have worked for AB for 19 years, albeit 17 of those years were before In-Bev.

Production Technician (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsAB was truly a pro-employee company during the years I spent there. The AB philosophy was to be the best, and they were forward thinking enough to invest in technology and employee training to achieve those goals. I felt like family, was well compensated, and well trained.

ConsEverybody was expected to work hard to achieve the company's objectives, if you want to call that a "con". Cronyism is perhaps my strongest criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the glory that was once AB. Take some pages from August III's playbook and make AB more than just another beer company once again. The icon can only stay on top just so long without something other that profit margins behind it.

Wonderful Summer Job at Grant's Farm (AB)

Merchandise Associate At Grant's Farm (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosnice people
    flexible schedule
    good environment to work in
    productive yet relaxed atmosphere
    good training period, it really makes you feel prepared for your job responsibilities

Conslack of raises and bonuses

steady paycheck

Manager (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsThe company has moments that will wow you. The perks are decent. If you can be positive and push through the muck, you will advance.

ConsMovement is on a tap the shoulder basis. Hard work is not appreciated. Enviroment is not productive to family life. Management will tell you there is a balance but do not think this balance is for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducation is manditory just not valued. Promotions are available, just need to figure out the path. there is a lot of learn as you go, fail as you go from other managers. The toughest pill is the ego and attitude of managers. Stay neutral and try to move through it.

This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple.

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe free beer is over blown. If you choose to manage up, sell half baked ideas well and cut throats you will succeed. If you are interviewing for the SMT or GMT program; (if you go into Field Sales) I strongly suggest going into analytical, category/space management positions as these jobs are easily transferrable to other companies who pay much more than AB does. Come here for two years and bail. Most of the SMT/GMT kids have already left, but they likely could have better spent their time if they gained experiences in those departments.

If you work in St. Louis: learn to play volleyball and play in the pick up games with the Brazilians. Guaranteed you will get a job you are not qualified for. If outside of St. Louis- manage up, always rent and manage up some more.

ConsA massive culture gap exist that dictates the culture of the company. This seems to be typical in many European and South American countries. Senior level management approaches managing their employees that each of our jobs are a gift and we should be grateful for what we have...grateful for bonus potential that we have yet to hit, no raises, increased work loads due to high turnover (as well as leaving jobs open for long periods of time to save money), watching as colleagues who spent more time managing up than on their contribution to the team get promoted and you will get a good feeling why no one wants to be here.

Sr Mgmt has proven time and time again they are outstanding at cutting cost but incapable of growing share. This will prove true moving forward as taking too aggressive price increases the last 5 years have created a hole too deep to dig out of. For the last three years they have stepped over dimes to pick up pennies focusing on growing high share (a category with no consumer loyalty) over their core consumer (premium and subpremium). Due to pressure from Wall Street, the company is now forced to grow share and stop losing volume.

Expect the company to make impulse, cost cutting decisions to hit Wall Street financial goals to salvage not meeting share targets that destroy any chance of you hitting your goals and making bonus due to Sr Mgmt's inability to grow share. Just not in their DNA.

There is zero perspective for balance of work/personal life. Morale is very low and any cheering, clapping is largely due to enforced enthusiasm that 90% of employees roll their eyes at. Brazilians came in promoting that it was going to be a true meritocracy for promotions replacing frat house politics but this birthed a new cut throat, brown nose culture only where the best lap dogs get taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementI candidly think that the people who are capable of improving this company are so burned out (and on their way out) or have left that it is too late. The very best "beer men/women" of this company have been so soul crushed by the company, working for AB is just a paycheck. A major departure from the previous culture. This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. As it has been said by many: this company loves making money, not sharing it.

I've sold all my company stock as it hit 110 (over valued) and I believe many of the smart analysts are realizing they must grow share now- and am not capable of it. The attempts of spending large amounts of money behind half baked ideas to buy share will come to light sooner rather than later. Blame will initially shift to everyone outside of St. Louis until someone asks the intelligent question of, "Did we ask anyone with field experience if this would work before we rolled out (insert Heavy Trade Program)?". Staffing teams full of people with little to no experience has its repercussions.

Lastly, for a company that promotes acting like owners, I'd ask the justification of opening an office in Miami that clearly isn't intended for Sr Mgmt entertainment write offs at a "Role Model" level. In the old company, mgmt was a bit more coy with strip club visits and golf club memberships. Sure everyone associated with it is either a 4a or 4b.

It will still be a solid stock but I foresee very volatile ups/downs ahead.

Manipulative, Lack of Common Sense...Only the Young Survive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month.

ConsAll while preaching "One team, one dream", they will deceive and manipulate. I know of several people who were pushed out of their job or gotten rid of in "creative" ways. They will do what they can so former employees cannot collect unemployment.

They care only about the budget, but not with a common sense frugality. They will take away the water coolers, but spend money on decorations for the office. They will deny sales reps, signage and POS for their accounts to have in-house posters printed for the meeting room.

They hire young, unqualified managers, passing over qualified people who have been with the company for years. They falsify timecards so they don't have to pay OT.

It's their way or the highway. When they take over a distributor they change everything, but not for the better. They make everything more complicated and expensive. Our water to the building has been shut off (think no flushing toilets, not water to wash hands), the phones were nearly shut off, the driver's had to get fuel from a much more expensive supplier because they refuse to pay their bills before 120 days.

They no longer credit accounts when beer is not delivered or there is breakage - they literally say "it's their word against ours". We have lost many accounts because of this one policy alone.

There is no concern for the customer any longer. It's almost as if they do not understand they must actually SEEL beer in order to make money, and in order to make money you need customers/accounts.

It has a very foreign feel to it...including important documents that are written with an obvious poor understanding of English.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to stay in business and not over taken by your competition, actually pay attention the local market...not everyone will buy Budweiser and Stella if you "just push hard enough".

Treat your low-level employees like the mean something, because they are doing the REAL work, w/o them there will be nothing FOR you to manage.

The end of an era - the last of the American dream companies.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBefore the takeover, at A-B you knew you were a part of an iconic, historic company. I am still proud I worked there - proud of the work I did. Everything was first class. We did everything with detail and perfection. The ideal work opportunity though the hours were long and the work was never ending. Tons of travel expected but company paid for you to stay in luxury. Definite glass ceiling. Women were not treated completely fairly because a lot of the men did behave as if it were still the 60's. they were definitely concerned about sexual harassment. Very Mad Men sexist mentality. Amazing benefits and travel opportunities. Profitable and generous to employees. I will forever pity August IV as he has to exist as the man that let this American legacy, this symbol of American ideals fall into foreign hands. A shame.

ConsAs a woman I was devalued and paid much less.

Worked for Anheuser-Busch? Contribute to the Community!