Anheuser-Busch

Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

Anheuser-Busch President, North America Luiz Fernando Edmond
Luiz Fernando Edmond

Pros
  • Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month (in 33 reviews)

• 2 cases of beer per month for all employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Probably a place that respects their work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours are expected, but then again, where aren't they (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Be careful what you wish for!

Former Employee - Senior Key Accounts Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Key Accounts Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits like medical, dental, 401K, insurance, sometimes a company car is provided. Two cases of beer per month. I would recommend working here with reservations. These reservations would be make sure your young (after college/MBA) 24-30. Dont expect to retire from ABI but after 10-15 years you either land some where else on your own or the company will show you out.

Cons

Long hours, meaning 12 hour days Monday through Friday with work on weekends in order to plan the next week and recap following week; personal life, if single, or family life will suffer because of this. When coming in from another company, what you learned or accomplished elsewhere isn't always taken into account at ABI and you may have to repeat positions or take steps back in order to move forward. Your end of year review does not take into account what you have accomplished in sales, distribution or cost savings.

The mantra from the management team from Brazil, after taking over A-B, was to bring in youth and a younger work force. You have accomplished this and are still forcing people out at 45+ years in order to make this a reality. Unfortunately, you don't realize that the people with experience and those who performed (Go-Getters don't have to be young they only need to be driven) will continue to take share of throat and stomach away from you after landing at competitive adult beverage manufacturers. Be careful what you wish for!

Could be paid more but fun company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, company car, free beer

Cons

Stubborn attitudes in management positions, culture is very lopsided

Pay your management less and your sales representatives more. They do most of the work!

A Reminder of What I Don't Want in a Job

Former Employee - Group Manager
    Former Employee - Group Manager

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Casual environment, able to meet some good people to work with, and monthly beer.... If you think I would say tools given to employees as a pro?? THINK AGAIN

Cons

Way too many levels of approval needed to make one decision, slow to react on important needs, bonuses are dangled in front of you but are structured not to be met. Bully front line, mid level management, and possibly Director level too. Scorned/jaded peers due to constant reprimands and no praise. The only way to make it in the cut throat environment is to become "friendly" with different management levels.

It's a shame really- it is one thing to see the commercials that convey nostalgia and American way but to know the working environment is more like the prohibition era when alcohol, sex and group clicks was a way of the times to survive. Good ol' boy practices still strong and visible in many ways.

Where there is smoke there is fire. Listen to your employees..... The ones out in the field. If there is a common thread of concern..... There may actually be a concern. Just because a manager/director and above is liked for their personality at St. Louis doesn't mean they are effective at leading people in the field; those are the ones who feel invincible and can't be touched.

Many high potential employees have left and moved on to companies that VALUE them. Eventually competitive edge will be lost when new high po's choose not to take a risk on working at the company. Good luck.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for Human Being

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like beers choose this place otherwise find another company.

Cons

Terrible management, Horrble Culture, Low wage workers, Stressed people.

You should have to value your people and creating value through people not talking about your culture. Also, you should have to pay more if you are the biggest beer company in the world, you should have to invest money and time..

Manipulative, Lack of Common Sense...Only the Young Survive

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual work environment, little accountability, free beer once a month.

Cons

All while preaching "One team, one dream", they will deceive and manipulate. I know of several people who were pushed out of their job or gotten rid of in "creative" ways. They will do what they can so former employees cannot collect unemployment.

They care only about the budget, but not with a common sense frugality. They will take away the water coolers, but spend money on decorations for the office. They will deny sales reps, signage and POS for their accounts to have in-house posters printed for the meeting room.

They hire young, unqualified managers, passing over qualified people who have been with the company for years. They falsify timecards so they don't have to pay OT.

It's their way or the highway. When they take over a distributor they change everything, but not for the better. They make everything more complicated and expensive. Our water to the building has been shut off (think no flushing toilets, not water to wash hands), the phones were nearly shut off, the driver's had to get fuel from a much more expensive supplier because they refuse to pay their bills before 120 days.

They no longer credit accounts when beer is not delivered or there is breakage - they literally say "it's their word against ours". We have lost many accounts because of this one policy alone.

There is no concern for the customer any longer. It's almost as if they do not understand they must actually SEEL beer in order to make money, and in order to make money you need customers/accounts.

It has a very foreign feel to it...including important documents that are written with an obvious poor understanding of English.

If you want to stay in business and not over taken by your competition, actually pay attention the local market...not everyone will buy Budweiser and Stella if you "just push hard enough".

Treat your low-level employees like the mean something, because they are doing the REAL work, w/o them there will be nothing FOR you to manage.

Great experiences and interesting business.

Current Employee - Front Line Manager  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front Line Manager in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Potential to move up in the company.

Cons

No work life balance. Don't replace positions when people leave. Too much cross functional promoting. No depth is some departments.

You need to be loyal to your employees and they will be loyal to you. People are burnt out. You need to ensure the right people in the right jobs. Specialist in your company are leaving at an alarming rate.

This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple.

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The free beer is over blown. If you choose to manage up, sell half baked ideas well and cut throats you will succeed. If you are interviewing for the SMT or GMT program; (if you go into Field Sales) I strongly suggest going into analytical, category/space management positions as these jobs are easily transferrable to other companies who pay much more than AB does. Come here for two years and bail. Most of the SMT/GMT kids have already left, but they likely could have better spent their time if they gained experiences in those departments.

If you work in St. Louis: learn to play volleyball and play in the pick up games with the Brazilians. Guaranteed you will get a job you are not qualified for. If outside of St. Louis- manage up, always rent and manage up some more.

Cons

A massive culture gap exist that dictates the culture of the company. This seems to be typical in many European and South American countries. Senior level management approaches managing their employees that each of our jobs are a gift and we should be grateful for what we have...grateful for bonus potential that we have yet to hit, no raises, increased work loads due to high turnover (as well as leaving jobs open for long periods of time to save money), watching as colleagues who spent more time managing up than on their contribution to the team get promoted and you will get a good feeling why no one wants to be here.

Sr Mgmt has proven time and time again they are outstanding at cutting cost but incapable of growing share. This will prove true moving forward as taking too aggressive price increases the last 5 years have created a hole too deep to dig out of. For the last three years they have stepped over dimes to pick up pennies focusing on growing high share (a category with no consumer loyalty) over their core consumer (premium and subpremium). Due to pressure from Wall Street, the company is now forced to grow share and stop losing volume.

Expect the company to make impulse, cost cutting decisions to hit Wall Street financial goals to salvage not meeting share targets that destroy any chance of you hitting your goals and making bonus due to Sr Mgmt's inability to grow share. Just not in their DNA.

There is zero perspective for balance of work/personal life. Morale is very low and any cheering, clapping is largely due to enforced enthusiasm that 90% of employees roll their eyes at. Brazilians came in promoting that it was going to be a true meritocracy for promotions replacing frat house politics but this birthed a new cut throat, brown nose culture only where the best lap dogs get taken care of.

I candidly think that the people who are capable of improving this company are so burned out (and on their way out) or have left that it is too late. The very best "beer men/women" of this company have been so soul crushed by the company, working for AB is just a paycheck. A major departure from the previous culture. This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. As it has been said by many: this company loves making money, not sharing it.

I've sold all my company stock as it hit 110 (over valued) and I believe many of the smart analysts are realizing they must grow share now- and am not capable of it. The attempts of spending large amounts of money behind half baked ideas to buy share will come to light sooner rather than later. Blame will initially shift to everyone outside of St. Louis until someone asks the intelligent question of, "Did we ask anyone with field experience if this would work before we rolled out (insert Heavy Trade Program)?". Staffing teams full of people with little to no experience has its repercussions.

Lastly, for a company that promotes acting like owners, I'd ask the justification of opening an office in Miami that clearly isn't intended for Sr Mgmt entertainment write offs at a "Role Model" level. In the old company, mgmt was a bit more coy with strip club visits and golf club memberships. Sure everyone associated with it is either a 4a or 4b.

It will still be a solid stock but I foresee very volatile ups/downs ahead.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Current Employee - Beer Packaging and Shipping  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Beer Packaging and Shipping in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is still very good and benefits are still decent, although they have started to be whittled away with the latest labor contract. No doubt this trend will continue. Work/life balance is still very good for hourly employees thanks to weekender relief program as well as decent chances to get weekdays off through the use of floating holidays and single day vacations.

Cons

If you are hourly like I am, you will have a new 12 year old boss about every six months. Turnover is high for management because they have no labor contract, so they were of course shamelessly rear-ended immediately after the takeover. Company used to have a thousand little ways to show you they appreciated you, almost all of those have been eliminated in the wake of the takeover. Company is run by bankers, not brewers. They have lost a lot of their ability to own and grow a brand, all they know how to do is take them over.

If you want to retain good people in management like you say, you will have to do a better job compensating those people. Right now, you are simply a first step after college before people find a company that rewards them properly for their work. That is, rewards the best and brightest properly. You will be stuck with everyone else.

Wonderful Summer Job at Grant's Farm (AB)

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate At Grant's Farm  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate At Grant's Farm in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people
    flexible schedule
    good environment to work in
    productive yet relaxed atmosphere
    good training period, it really makes you feel prepared for your job responsibilities

Cons

lack of raises and bonuses

My god....worst place I have ever worked....

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time for less than a year

Pros

The free beer was nice...I'm sure that will be gone at some point...

Cons

I don't know that I can put it all into words. It was the worst experience of my professional career. First of all I was in IT, which is probably a different experience than 95% of other employees there. I have never been in a situation like this, where literally everyone in my immediate area was incompetent. Most surfed the INET all day or played poker on their iPhones....while complaining how things used to be in the "old" company. I was shocked on a daily bases, by the total lack of professionalism and competence. Mgmt seemed very aloof and unconcerned. They were more interested in keeping their own jobs and meeting documented benchmarks for bonus purposes, which turned into a large paper shuffle, with little or no actual work being done. Don't let the InBev, "we love all of our employees" line, fool you either. Your benefits might be cheap...but InBev is constantly searching for ways to outsource jobs and bring costs down further...so Brito and his ilk can continue to get million dollar bonuses. So enjoy that super cheat health insurance and nice 401k while you can, because you could walk in one day and find out your job got outsourced to Brazil.

I don't know what to say, if having an army of mindless drones spinning wheels in a constant struggle to squeeze out a $1 worth of production for .20, then hey, great job...

Worked for Anheuser-Busch? Contribute to the Community!