Animoto Reviews

Brad Jefferson

1. Good Staff, Questionable Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Animoto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are the nicest most affable people. The company truly cares about culture. The CEO is a talented and intelligent businessman and seems to have a vision for the company.

Cons

Most of the executive team seems to be confused about the how to achieve the direction the company is heading.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees; Your worker's make the culture. Hire the right people for the job and get rid of superfluous managers and yes-men.

2. Overall Really Good

I have been working at Animoto

Pros

Environment is great. Upper management is really open to talking to you and just helping you with whatever. The coworkers are all smart and cool. The office itself is really open and nice, it's right around st marks so there's always good food around.

Cons

It's a bit clique-y. People will generally stick to their teams like marketing or engineering. Everyone is friendly enough but it's just hard to break into groups that have already been established for so long.

Advice to Management

I've noticed some people don't really acclimate to the environment well and have a hard time making friends at first so maybe something to introduce new hires and get to know everyone.

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The work environment is great. It is open, collaborative and has all of the typical "start up amenities", like stocked kitchen, ping pong, game systems and Beer Fridays. There are also two work gatherings/hackathons each year that brings all employees together at the NY office. There is a lot autonomy in roles and management is fairly transparent about financials and numbers. CEO frequently hosts an anonymous Q&A to answer questions from the team and a weekly company-wide meeting is designed to keep everyone informed of plans and progress.

Cons

The employees don't use the product. You would be hard-pressed to find someone who works for Animoto that has used the product more than half a dozen times. There seems to be a lack of personal investment in the development of the product. The organizational structure is flawed and the compensation is below industry average. Aside from some user testing, Animoto does not listen to its users. Support is limited. There are plans to change the current state of the support team and its processes but things look grim for now.

Advice to Management

Rethink the organization structure. Recognize stellar employees in addition to company-wide recognition. Don't bring in interns as cheap labor. Hire employees with experience and a sound work ethic who want to work for the company because the product is innovative not because there is beer in the fridge. Care about the end user. Offer better support and listen to their needs and concerns. Create styles and features based on market needs or gaps, versus designer whimsies.

Keeping the lights on

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic office environment, fridges are always well stocked, standing desks, ping pong and couches. Co-workers are generally good people.

Cons

There seems to be lack of any clear direction. Management is inexperienced and uninspiring. I'm worried about attrition and the future of the company.

6. Fair and relaxed environment, with good, experienced managers and a smart executive staff that's still figuring it out.

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, with a work hard, play harder attitude. Smart management and overall good people to work with. The company culture is great.

Cons

Not as nimble as it should be for a start-up. Technology is a hindrance at times.

Advice to Management

The grunts know the frontline, so management should implement suggestions based on the workers experience.

Animoto is not a good company

I worked at Animoto

Pros

The product is actually pretty cool. I hope it helps people in their personal and work lives

Cons

The company refuses to treat their customers with respect. It hurts the customer service department, as no issues can be resolved over the phone - only email/ticketing system. Animoto commonly overcharges, but does nothing about it unless the customer brings it up. Not a good way to run a business. #EthicalConcerns

Advice to Management

Care about your customers more, teach your staff to listen to customer concerns, and remember that customers pay the bills.

8. Marketing Intern

I worked at Animoto

Pros

THE BEST! an incredible team, a wonderful environment, I learned so much

Cons

There were days I had nothing to do, but that happens with every internship.

9. Lighthearted but driven environment

I have been working at Animoto

Pros

A very comfortable place to work. Food/drink for free onsite, not super strict hours just goals and proejcts that need to be completed and met

Cons

It is a small company. Management has a plan but yet to see if it will succeed

Advice to Management

Focus less on product dev and more on biz dev and marketing

The most rewarding company I've worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing. Smart, fun, dedicated, and ulta-creative. Management cares for the employees like nothing else I've seen. We get to work with a killer product every day of the week, have great benefits (401k, fsa, commuter benefits, paid subscription services), beer on tap, etc. The team is truly a team. Despite having employees across the country, we work together to achieve a common goal. Management brings us together twice a year to celebrate what we've accomplished, look to what we'll be doing in the future, and build an even stronger team.

Cons

The team has high expectations. Management places high importance on revenue. Not a terrible thing overall but it's not your typical startup that just wants to put out a cool product and get free-riders.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

I love every single person I work with.

I have been working at Animoto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, beer friday, ping pong, other employees are awesome, management that cares, good work, stocked kitchen, fully paid health insurance... Just so many things! This is a great place to come to work. My hours are generally what I want them to be and I take vacation when I want. Classy Friday is just about the only time we dress up.

Cons

Lots of changes lately, but generally changes for the better!

RSS Feed </> Embed