Anixter International

Updated November 25, 2014
3.5

Anixter International President and CEO Robert J. Eck
Robert J. Eck

Pros
  • The people are great for the most part (in 6 reviews)

• Good people, fair compensation, a culture of continuous improvement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management maintains blissful ignorance of reality at field level (in 6 reviews)

• Middle management is less than adequate (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved it when I started but current management is making me look at other companies

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I create my own schedule and am in charge of my own account base

Cons

Middle management is less than adequate. Typically just put in your time and you will be a location manager

Treat your employees like gold if they are good. Understand who is good and who is not

Great company with good advancement possibilities

Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Alsip, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Alsip, IL

I worked at Anixter International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth, management that cares, a lot of vacation and sick days, great co-workers.

Cons

Job security(new faces everyday / a lot of firing going on)

Career growth is possible. The tradeoff is in work/life balance. Expect too much work and pay below market.

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Aninxter is focused on serving the customer with excellent service across several product lines. At its best, the employee is given a chance for career growth as the company extends its products and geography.

Cons

Aninxter is focused on serving the customer with excellent service across several product lines. At its worst, the employee will be pigeon-holed in positions that will gradually decline in significance and opportunity.

This is a good, solid company to work for.

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, fair compensation, a culture of continuous improvement

Cons

In operations the hours can be long at unexpected times.

Great culture overall with less than competitive salaries/benefits.

I worked at Anixter International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great culture overall. Senior Management is generally accepting of new ideas and are willing to try new things to better the business. If you can achieve your set goals and strive to accomplish operational improvements, you will be promoted. I was promoted 3 times in 4 years, setting me up for a great career. I can't say this is a common progression because some departments (inventory management) are very stagnant when it comes to promotions.

Cons

Although the culture is great, the compensation/benefits are less than competitive. In general, you will earn less with a mere $2K of educational assistance per year. As a professional who is striving to advance through graduate education and experience, I found it extremely difficult to finance my education given the compensation/benefits package. On the other hand, graduate education is not necessary to be successful at Anixter. Some leaders are only high school graduates.

Management should hire more qualified people, pay them competitively, and provide opportunities to better the employees' education and business savvy if you are planning to see Anixter strive in the distribution industry. Investing in these employees will ensure future leaders will take the company to the next level.

Pass on this one

I worked at Anixter International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* It's a job.

* If you can find a time machine, I'd highly recommend this job 10 years ago. It was a great company that appreciated their employees (and showed that appreciation). Back in the day, Anixter was also quite progressive and innovative. None of this applies currently.

Cons

* Success is based more on social politics than performance. Doing the best job is not what will get you promoted.

* If you are not in upper management, you will not be well compensated.

* Too focused on policy and procedure, and completely lacking in efficiency and practicality. What "should be done" doesn't matter and regularly takes a back seat to "this is how things are done", thereby making most processes run highly inefficiently. Change is not a friend to Anixter.

* The company seems to be happy to toss around money to anything except for the salaries of their employees.

Treat your employees like people. If someone is doing a great job, reward them for it when it is review time, even if it deviates from the pre-determined (and oftentimes insulting) pay increase that was "supposed to be" given.

Micromanaging is a huge problem too. During my time at Anixter there were no children employed at the company, yet that's what many of us were treated as.

Out of touch corporate.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product lines, great exposure to all aspects of business. Decent travel policies.

Cons

Egotistical management, treat customers like they are fortunate to do business with them. Corporate dictates company direction, yet has no idea what is happening at field level.

Take the $150,000,000+ you gave to shareholders and spread some of it across the masses that are actually making the company money.

A good career job

Former Employee - Various in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Various in Denver, CO

I worked at Anixter International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great company to work for with many chances for advancement. Always received a raise and some type of bonus every year

Cons

Some of the mid level managers need to learn how to treat people better. It seems like the HR department always takes management side

listen better to lower management

Work environment keeps me here, not the compensation.

Current Employee - Team Member in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working co-workers who care about doing a good job and helping other team members. You have opportunities to advance with hard work and dedication to your team. I love the laid-back/family type atmosphere. Not a stuffed shirt type company.

Cons

The commute, the company is located in a high rent area so most team members cannot afford to live very close. Also, compensation seems to lag behind other similar companies and in some cases, although told otherwise, there is a large gap in compensation between some of the management roles. This gap may not be in base salary but instead in bonus structure.

do not ever apply for a job...

I worked at Anixter International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unfortunately there nothing i can add to pros; the entire experience with this company was the worst nightmare i ever had...

Cons

Unqualified management least at the department i worked for; the worst accounting software

Invest more in people not just tread them as ...