Ann Taylor

Updated November 3, 2014
3.3

Ann Taylor President, CEO, and Director Kay Krill
Kay Krill

Pros
  • Great discount for the employees with additional opportunities for coupons (in 89 reviews)

• The employee discount is 50% and every quarter you get select items at 75% off (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • All the time the store whats more credit cards more sales , never is good enough (in 71 reviews)

• There is no work life balance for store managers or even co managers (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They truly care about their employees. Great training throughout the year.

Cons

Sometimes you have to do hard labor and for very little pay.

Paying your employees a better wage with slow down the hight turn over

Not bad for a part time job.

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    OK discounts
    Work-life balance

Cons

Management gets outsourced quickly, leaving stores into shambles.

Great environment however low pay for visual merchandiser

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working with this company for almost 2 years. I love my working team, and the managers.

Cons

The company doesn't make any salary difference between sales associate and visual merchandiser.

Great company!

Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, from the people I work with to the structure of the company. Very flexible with my schedule and able to work around any conflict I may have. Not to mention I love the clothes!

Cons

It seems to be a temporary job for many, somewhere for people to go while they are looking for full-time work.

Bad

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount
    Interesting Customers
    Not
    Not
    Not Not Not NOT

Cons

Management (District Manager, CO-MANAGER Sales Leads)
    Favoritism
    Lack of Leadership

Work in the Loop. DM hires people that are incompetent. Co-Manager is always out of dress code and is very lazy; sitting in the back room all day on a computer instead of leading. The company would rather bring in people from the outside into leadership positions instead of hiring from within. The Co-Manager of the store has hired questionable individuals with visible tattoos that don't fit the brand standards. She picks favorites along with the rest of leadership. Managers don't know how to lead. No training; on how to be better; just going through the motions.

Nothing has changed. Management is non-existent. No feedback; however they are quick to point out things that you are not doing right. Kind of hypocritical when they are not following the rules as well. The company is a joke.

little room for growth

Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Skokie, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great starting pay. Great associate discount. High fashion retail company that rewards hard work and fashionable associates. Best part is you can look amazingly fashionable everyday! Most of the clients are amazing to work with; you really get to make a difference in someone's life by influencing their fashion decisions. Most mornings are slower paced; however it really picks up after school hours.

Cons

You really have to have a heart for fashion. If you're the type of person who doesn't pay attention to the small details in fashion, you might not want to apply. Its really hard to get a full time position; you really have to prove yourself, and even then, most managers will hire their friends before promoting you(which is common amongst retail). Store visits are brutal! You really have to have a back bone and be able to take some tough love and harsh criticism.

Please consider internal promotions before hiring externally. Make sure to keep your promises and be a good example to the rest of the team. Keep the Whole Hearted Promise alive! it was a great tool.

Run the other way from Ann Taylor.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount on foreign-made, poorly- constructed clothing, yay!

Cons

See pros, oh and here are a few more cons: non-present dm and rm, poor work/life balance, aka no balance, unrealistic sales and credit goals clearly not in alignment with the economic conditions or outlook for the United States, tremendous workload and zero payroll to support.., example: from 9 to 10am, do all store opening procedures ( administrative and cleaning), clear off 60 desperate emails from dm in this sinking ship company, change all promo signs for the day, usually 15 or so, put away all abandoned clothing from fitting rooms (about 4 racks), and process online orders that have been sourced to your store. Do all of this with just yourself and one other associate! Good luck!

Stop expecting the world from your team while you sit at home as a dm or rm taking conference calls.

Loft

Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you aren't dependent upon the job to make a living, you will enjoy working there.

Cons

There are too many workers with to few hours to give out. Management can pick favorites. There is no easy way to be promoted from within, unlike what you'll see at most companies.

Treat your employees like you care about their lives outside of work. Do not expect above and beyond if you can't pay us enough or provide enough hours for people to make it in the world.

Nice co worker, horrible management

Current Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on clothing
    Paid time in a half on holidays

Cons

Having to keep buying their clothes
    Bad management
    Low pay

Listen to employees concerns

Great company that values their employees and works hard to serve the customer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked with some really passionate and inspiring people. Working as a Sales Associate my bosses were very willing to help me pursue my next step in my career and wrote me letters of recommendations and helped me network.They care about their employees and care about doing a good job.

Cons

Working as a Sales Associate would never be lucrative enough to live off of. I do it because I enjoy fashion and retail and because I am looking to build my retail experience, but you can't make any good money at it.

I've had wonderful managers and not so great managers. The good ones are engaging and positive and show through their actions that they love their job, the bad ones are the ones you can tell are only there to make a living and not for passion.

Ann Taylor Photos