Ann Taylor Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated September 16, 2014
3.3

Ann Taylor President, CEO, and Director Kay Krill
Kay Krill

Pros
  • Great discount for the employees with additional opportunities for coupons (in 72 reviews)

• Great employee discount, upbeat attitude, quality corporate morals, flexible scheduling (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • All the time the store whats more credit cards more sales , never is good enough (in 63 reviews)

• Despite what they say about being a company that "understands women" there is not much work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company!

Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, from the people I work with to the structure of the company. Very flexible with my schedule and able to work around any conflict I may have. Not to mention I love the clothes!

Cons

It seems to be a temporary job for many, somewhere for people to go while they are looking for full-time work.

little room for growth

Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Skokie, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great starting pay. Great associate discount. High fashion retail company that rewards hard work and fashionable associates. Best part is you can look amazingly fashionable everyday! Most of the clients are amazing to work with; you really get to make a difference in someone's life by influencing their fashion decisions. Most mornings are slower paced; however it really picks up after school hours.

Cons

You really have to have a heart for fashion. If you're the type of person who doesn't pay attention to the small details in fashion, you might not want to apply. Its really hard to get a full time position; you really have to prove yourself, and even then, most managers will hire their friends before promoting you(which is common amongst retail). Store visits are brutal! You really have to have a back bone and be able to take some tough love and harsh criticism.

Please consider internal promotions before hiring externally. Make sure to keep your promises and be a good example to the rest of the team. Keep the Whole Hearted Promise alive! it was a great tool.

Company And Store..... Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Downhill.... Sub-Par... Awful...Poor Management.... Cheap Clothes.... See Below.

Cons

Management. District Manager hired sales lead, manager, and co-manager and they are not up to par. Manager only stayed with the store for two months. Sales lead and Co-Manager don't appear to be a good fit. They don't follow the dress code but expect everyone else too. They look like they just rolled out of the bed. The Co-Manager hires girls that are definitely not a good fit. Some of the girls look like they are 1 step from working in a strip club. The clothes are cheaply made. The suit jackets went from being 100% wool to polyester blend. The staff reflect the quality of the clothing.... fast fashion or Forever 21. District Manager only promotes friends from the outside.

Company needs an overhaul. The company is 60 years old and has lost its identity. Definitely a sinking ship

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run the other way from Ann Taylor.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount on foreign-made, poorly- constructed clothing, yay!

Cons

See pros, oh and here are a few more cons: non-present dm and rm, poor work/life balance, aka no balance, unrealistic sales and credit goals clearly not in alignment with the economic conditions or outlook for the United States, tremendous workload and zero payroll to support.., example: from 9 to 10am, do all store opening procedures ( administrative and cleaning), clear off 60 desperate emails from dm in this sinking ship company, change all promo signs for the day, usually 15 or so, put away all abandoned clothing from fitting rooms (about 4 racks), and process online orders that have been sourced to your store. Do all of this with just yourself and one other associate! Good luck!

Stop expecting the world from your team while you sit at home as a dm or rm taking conference calls.

Loft

Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you aren't dependent upon the job to make a living, you will enjoy working there.

Cons

There are too many workers with to few hours to give out. Management can pick favorites. There is no easy way to be promoted from within, unlike what you'll see at most companies.

Treat your employees like you care about their lives outside of work. Do not expect above and beyond if you can't pay us enough or provide enough hours for people to make it in the world.

Nice co worker, horrible management

Current Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Stylist/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts on clothing
    Paid time in a half on holidays

Cons

Having to keep buying their clothes
    Bad management
    Low pay

Listen to employees concerns

Great company that values their employees and works hard to serve the customer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time for more than a year

Pros

I've worked with some really passionate and inspiring people. Working as a Sales Associate my bosses were very willing to help me pursue my next step in my career and wrote me letters of recommendations and helped me network.They care about their employees and care about doing a good job.

Cons

Working as a Sales Associate would never be lucrative enough to live off of. I do it because I enjoy fashion and retail and because I am looking to build my retail experience, but you can't make any good money at it.

I've had wonderful managers and not so great managers. The good ones are engaging and positive and show through their actions that they love their job, the bad ones are the ones you can tell are only there to make a living and not for passion.

the worst job ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Evanston, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee discount, somewhat flexible hours (which are fine if you are just working to pass the time), pretty loyal customers. If you are a college student who is just working for extra booze money or shopping money, then this might be the job for you. The work is intellectually non-demanding and sometimes great friendships with coworkers occur. The clothes there are also pretty nice.

Cons

Consistently poor management, rampant racism from management, almost impossible credit card and sales goals, the fact that you can work zero hours one week and twenty five hours another week, a lack of promotion opportunities

You really ought to look at what you ask of employees--- to be consistently cheerful, try their very best, cultivate relationships with each other and employees--- and then realize that the resources that you give them--- demeaning tasks, cutthroat practices to secure credit card openings, insanely unstable work hours, virtually NO incentives to meet sales goals, and realize that you are setting up each store for failure.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% discount is very generous. If the store management is good and supportive it can be a nice working environment.

Cons

Never enough payroll to get required work done, not to mention to provide good customer service. Ridiculous amount of on-line orders to be searched for, packaged and sent out daily. Way to much focus on getting new credit cards or convincing cardholders to "upgrade." Constantly out of supplies which looks very unprofessional. Stores get a huge amount of returns (mostly from online) which count against daily sales goals and there is EXTREME pressure to meet or exceed goals! Employees must do everything from figuring out how to make sense of extensive and constant store resets to cleaning toilets! Upper management seems not to care about store issues, associates or even store management. Very cold, not supportive and just gives "lip service" to Ann Cares credo.

Try to show some appreciation for employees...get more realistic as to what you are asking for and give tools and time to get job done!

At first it was great now its bad

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount and great networking, client experience is amazing

Cons

Bad management, not considerate, and hold their associates back.

Truly live the brand and help those who want to learn and grow get to that place. DSM hire better managers

Worked for Ann Taylor? Contribute to the Community!