Ann Taylor

Ann Taylor Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Ann Taylor President, CEO, and Director Kay Krill

Kay Krill

Pros
  • Great discount for the employees with additional opportunities for coupons(in 70 reviews)

• Great employee discount, upbeat attitude, quality corporate morals, flexible scheduling(in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • All the time the store whats more credit cards more sales , never is good enough(in 62 reviews)

• Despite what they say about being a company that "understands women" there is not much work-life balance(in 21 reviews)

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice co worker, horrible management

Stylist/Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiscounts on clothing
    Paid time in a half on holidays

ConsHaving to keep buying their clothes
    Bad management
    Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees concerns

Loft

Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you aren't dependent upon the job to make a living, you will enjoy working there.

ConsThere are too many workers with to few hours to give out. Management can pick favorites. There is no easy way to be promoted from within, unlike what you'll see at most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you care about their lives outside of work. Do not expect above and beyond if you can't pay us enough or provide enough hours for people to make it in the world.

Great company that values their employees and works hard to serve the customer.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI've worked with some really passionate and inspiring people. Working as a Sales Associate my bosses were very willing to help me pursue my next step in my career and wrote me letters of recommendations and helped me network.They care about their employees and care about doing a good job.

ConsWorking as a Sales Associate would never be lucrative enough to live off of. I do it because I enjoy fashion and retail and because I am looking to build my retail experience, but you can't make any good money at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've had wonderful managers and not so great managers. The good ones are engaging and positive and show through their actions that they love their job, the bad ones are the ones you can tell are only there to make a living and not for passion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the worst job ever

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Evanston, IL

ProsGreat employee discount, somewhat flexible hours (which are fine if you are just working to pass the time), pretty loyal customers. If you are a college student who is just working for extra booze money or shopping money, then this might be the job for you. The work is intellectually non-demanding and sometimes great friendships with coworkers occur. The clothes there are also pretty nice.

ConsConsistently poor management, rampant racism from management, almost impossible credit card and sales goals, the fact that you can work zero hours one week and twenty five hours another week, a lack of promotion opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really ought to look at what you ask of employees--- to be consistently cheerful, try their very best, cultivate relationships with each other and employees--- and then realize that the resources that you give them--- demeaning tasks, cutthroat practices to secure credit card openings, insanely unstable work hours, virtually NO incentives to meet sales goals, and realize that you are setting up each store for failure.

Unrealistic Expectations

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros50% discount is very generous. If the store management is good and supportive it can be a nice working environment.

ConsNever enough payroll to get required work done, not to mention to provide good customer service. Ridiculous amount of on-line orders to be searched for, packaged and sent out daily. Way to much focus on getting new credit cards or convincing cardholders to "upgrade." Constantly out of supplies which looks very unprofessional. Stores get a huge amount of returns (mostly from online) which count against daily sales goals and there is EXTREME pressure to meet or exceed goals! Employees must do everything from figuring out how to make sense of extensive and constant store resets to cleaning toilets! Upper management seems not to care about store issues, associates or even store management. Very cold, not supportive and just gives "lip service" to Ann Cares credo.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to show some appreciation for employees...get more realistic as to what you are asking for and give tools and time to get job done!

Don't work for Ann Taylor or Ann Taylor LOFT!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiscount on clothing, although you may not like most of it. I would rarely purchase as the clothing was dowdy and fell apart after only two washes.

ConsPoor work/life balance (district managers calling and texting you on your days off), unrealistic workload with no payroll (hope you like working 60 hours to make up for lack of payroll), unsupported company values (they're posted in all of their literature but the leadership at district manager level and above doesn't support), store sets every 2 weeks (they call them updates sometimes, but are updates 135 pages???), unrealistic sales and credit goals (impossible to make as client returns more than 50% of what is purchased), unfulfilled supply orders (no bags, not lightbulbs, no cleaning supplies for weeks), inconsistent accountability from store to store (dm doesn't hold store managers to the same accountability from store to store). Need I say more?? Oh, constant turnover at the store manager and co manager level......huge red flag

Advice to Senior ManagementUmmmm, see above.

Management Unskilled

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMeeting new people and the discount.

ConsQuality of Clothes
    District Manager
    Management
    Pay
    Hours

Most managers don't have a clue on how to lead a staff. Managers look down on subordinates like they are God because of a management title. I have worked in leadership positions and most of the managers including the District Manager lack leadership skills. They could not lead a horse to water. The quality of clothing has went down and continues to suffer. The company cares more about getting clients into debt with credit cards and making profit. There is a huge turnover in the Chicagoland area for managers. These managers have left the company because of lack of guidance and an incompetent upper echelon manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to really investigate the huge turnover in regards to leadership. Take care of your associates. Treat them like people and not like peons.

At first it was great now its bad

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat discount and great networking, client experience is amazing

ConsBad management, not considerate, and hold their associates back.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly live the brand and help those who want to learn and grow get to that place. DSM hire better managers

A flexible part-time job with pros & cons

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEach Individual store operates like a family. When there is a supportive atmosphere it is very satisfying. The management here really looks out for everyone.

ConsNeed to schedule more employees per shift to accomplish goals. This is out of individual store control. Upper management seems disconnected to how hard everyone actually works to do what is required. Probably a sign of the economy...do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to set more realistic goals for employees.

Pay Vs Everything Else

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay and Hours were great.

ConsManagement Team was often too rude and inconsiderate, hard to enjoy working there. They pushed PRC's way too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to your associates.

Worked for Ann Taylor? Contribute to the Community!