Ann Taylor Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

Ann Taylor President, CEO, and Director Kay Krill
Kay Krill

Pros
  • Great discount for the employees with additional opportunities for coupons (in 87 reviews)

• The employee discount is 50% and every quarter you get select items at 75% off (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • All the time the store whats more credit cards more sales , never is good enough (in 68 reviews)

• Despite what they say about being a company that "understands women" there is not much work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Very friendly people. Good to enhance your customer relation skills and people skills. Lots of opportunity to succeed and excel. Managers make you feel good about your work.

Cons

The scheduling system is limited. Not much control in the tasks you'll be completing on any given day. A lot of variability in tasks assigned. Sometimes tasks assigned are not a part of the job and shouldn't be assigned.

Positive is what matters

Former Employee - Sourcing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sourcing Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Ann Taylor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the office as a temp in the dresses department. It was not a bad experience working back retail. Fair pay, tasks are demanding but not too serious, friendly environment

Cons

Not much work to be done, tedious at times

More tasks would have keep me in the company. Sadly, it was just a temp assignment for four months.

Excellent company to work for!

Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

High energy team, wonderful discount and great training.

Cons

Worked part time, limited hours.

Poorly trained management and poor training offered.

Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

50% off discount on clothing, easy work for an associate position, can be fun with the right co-workers, easy to manage work-life balance for a part-time position

Cons

Have to sell company credit card, no real training program in place, so tedious folding clothes, was not a lot of opportunity to advance in my time there. My district went through a change of DM while I was working there and it was handled HORRIBLY. We had no solid contact in the in-between time and basically no support-- this happened while I was new and was working with a store manager who was fairly new so it was extremely tough.

As a businessperson, I would highly recommend the HR department invest some time in creating a comprehensive training program, especially on selling the company credit cards.

I get to play dress up with amazing clothes

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

So many amazing clothes, I treat the store as my very big closet (which means I end up buying a lot of clothes)
    As a store manager I get to select an amazing team
    The store managers I work with on average are really supportive and great personalities

Cons

Workflow is challenging to complete in allotted time
    Managers are scheduled in as floor coverage
    work life balance can easily get out of whack, especially with constant changes to already scheduled workflow
    High turnover in sales associates (means more training) and high turnover in DMs
    Part Time Sales Leads and Sales Associates should make more than company guidelines allow
    It's retail, hours are sporadic you will work most evenings and never see your family during holidays

Store Managers should not be part of floor coverage
    Stop over allocating business to unreachable goals, especially with what last year sales were

Inconsiderate management makes this job hell

Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Ann Taylor LOFT Sales Associate

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really great discounts for employees.

Cons

The hours suck - you can work 4 hours one week and find yourself at nearly 35 the next week before jumping back down to 10 a week. A couple times, I've had my shifts cut an hour before I was scheduled to start for the day. The pressure to make numbers, especially meeting credit card goals, is ridiculous. Management fails to communicate effectively to the sales associates. Completely disorganized backroom that makes searching for items for clients a shitshow.

Work on your communication. Make sure there is consistency across your stores regarding policies, especially returns.

Not Happy

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount.Nice clothes,good management,located in a good area

Cons

Keeping up with the styles

Not bad, nothing outstanding

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, managers basically leave you alone

Cons

hired on the idea that there was good culture, deeper meaning to career - then starting working and its just any 'ol retailer - nothing meaningful about the work

Try hiring based on personality and skills for managers, instead of simply people who have "years experience" if you actually want folks who can change culture.

An expensive place to work

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is high for retail; they start associates at higher than the minimum wage.
    The employee discount is 50% and every quarter you get select items at 75% off.
    Lots of payroll for tasking hours; all shipment processing takes place in the back and all floorset is off-hours.
    All of management gets their own email address and they prefer to promote from within.

Cons

Dress code- While they don't say you have to wear their clothes it is heavily implied that you do. It is very strict in that you can't even wear a color that is not in the floorset. Most of the coaching of associates at my store involved the dress code, and you basically had to update your entire wardrobe every month in order to be compliant. Maybe you could just wear all black all the time, in classic trousers and skirts? Nope, you were also graded on how stylish and how close your outfits compared to the floorset; they banned black flats.
    Client Books- If that is what you are into, then it can be fun to build a clientele. However, it is REQUIRED that you do so even though you don't make commission on any of the sales. Many associates only worked two days a week but were reprimanded for not having enough clients or appointments scheduled. The company relies heavily on store employees to generate their own traffic and blames it on their clienteling if the store underperforms.
    Events- While they technically are not required, it's heavily implied that they are. Upper management expects associates and managers to find local people with money to have shopping parties, or hold "events" to get people to come in and shop. While on the surface it sounds fun and easy, it's not. While I was there I didn't hear of any stores who held events of serious financial weight; no one wants to be cold-called by a store in the mall.
    Adult Brats- The clientele consists of entitled white people who treat you like dirt and love to argue about returns and getting discounts. Seriously I have never in my life encountered so many bratty women it was insane.

If you want to be able to recruit more hires, rethink your work culture! The type of people who work retail are not the same type of people who shop at Ann Taylor. Not every associate can afford the dress code, and not every associate knows lawyers or teachers who want to have a shopping party.

Not bad for retail job

I worked at Ann Taylor

Pros

Good Discount, Short shifts, Nice break schedule

Cons

Short Shifts, odd hours, inability to get over 20 hours a week

Allow employees to be able to work more hours if desired. Better shift scheduling options. No one should work 10-12 hours on Black Friday, this is bad for the employee and the company

Ann Taylor Photos