Anna's Linens

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.3

Alan Gladstone

Pros
  • And also they like to promote from within and that's good (in 5 reviews)

• Building customer service skills and learning about everday home products in depth increased my knowledge (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand customer service is necessary but this place takes it way too far (in 8 reviews)

• Often too busy for just two people working the entire store to handle but expected to make miracles happen (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Asst mgr

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Anna's Linens

Pros

The store was allways fun to decorate . I enjoyed setting up window treatments and staging the store for holidays. The Company executives allways listened and held true to the open door policy's.

Cons

Retail has some tough hours . Work to ifs balance was almost non existent. The further up in management the worse it got. The entry level positions were the most stressful, constantly pushing scripts.

Respect the entry level staff . The are on the front lines deals with the customers and are the face of the company.

A Waste

Former Employee - Supervisor in Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Burlington, NJ

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It'll pay for gas, I suppose.

Cons

This company doesn't care about their associates. You get minimal hours, yet are expected to come in and cover shifts at any time and even if doing so frequently pushes you to 30+ hours, you won't get full time status. Ever. Working your butt off leads to nothing. Your pay is beneath the retail average per position. If your boss doesn't want to write your yearly review, whether it's good or bad, then oh well you don't get a raise. Complaints about unethical management go ignored and even when people are proven to be guilty, the most they get is a demotion! Anna's Linens is a place that will drain you and give you nothing in return. Don't waste your energy here.

Show your employees that you care! Support the people that support you. Pay people adequately and listen when they tell you something is wrong.

Do yourself a favor...look elsewhere for a company

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Upland, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Upland, CA

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling in most locations, though will vary on who the manager is and how much he/she likes you. Great co-workers if you are lucky.

Cons

Extremely low pay, even in management positions. No holiday pay. Low hours for part time employees, even those in supervisor positions. Extremely stressful working conditions. Extremely unprofessional management teams, and downright incompetent corporate teams. No benefits, even if you are full time. Unless you are a store manager or work for corporate, don't expect any sort of medical/dental/etc even if you are full time supervisor or assistant manager. No full week sick time for assistant managers, you get 24 hours which is not even an entire full time week, supervisors and clerks get nothing. Constant cutting of hours *during* the work week. Favoritism even though it is against policy. You can be moved locations without your consent or agreement, you will not be paid for extra mileage or given any sort of incentives, if you refuse...you can be force demoted or even fired. No current opportunities to move up in the company, corporate hires from outside or hires friends of people already there, no growth in-stores due to low business, stores are closing; also due to cuts in staffing and hours. Merchandise is extremely poor quality, sometimes you have to handle merchandise which is wet or moldy (due to the way they are shipped) this could be quite hazardous to your health. Also stores are not maintained very well, takes a lot of effort to get something fixed; had to endure several 90+ heat days with no A/C while corporate argued who would pay the bill. Store equipment can be old and faulty and not replaceable (i.e. ladders) which can be quite dangerous as you are often required to up stock merchandise by yourself, this merchandise can be heavy and bulky and difficult to manage. Injuries at work are frequent, and there have been several lawsuits filed due to non-payment or refusal to cover workers comp cases, work here at your own risk. There has also been several issues with proper payment, and lawsuits to get it.

Please train your store management in how to handle employees and customers. I have seen management in your company with over 20+ years "experience" who were completely incompetent, unprofessional, and illiterate. Perhaps a solid training program would help your company out, yes even if it costs you money. If it wasn't for the rest of the crew constantly fixing her mistakes that store would not run on a daily basis. Complaints go completely unheard, nothing does anything about them. Corporate staff should be mandated to work in a store for at least a month, doing what store staff does so they see that some of the things they ask for are nearly impossible to accomplish in the time frames they make up.

Not the best company to work for as a Manager

Former Employee - Supervisor in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Snellville, GA

I worked at Anna's Linens

Pros

The employee discount and the store hours are the perks.

Cons

Shipment days are the worst because you have to unload the truck along with the part time employees scheduled with you. The shipment day process is very unorganized and chaotic! The pay is not all that great when faced with all the tasks and time restraints you have.

Upper management, district managers in particular, its beneficial to get to know you whole management staff in order to assist with growth in the company and the overall moral of the management staff.

Oh, the "great" memories of working at Anna's Linens....

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time

Pros

After working many years in retail, it is refreshing that this company encourages the store team to be creative and set up lavish displays. The company is great if you are looking for a chance to advance your career in retail- with a high turnover rate; it is easy to advance if you show initiative. I met many great people throughout my career at Anna's. Also, as Store Manager they sent us to Las Vegas for a conference every year.

Cons

Where to start?!?!?! There is never enough hours to run a store or enough staff in a store to properly create a customer friendly environment. On a good day, my store was lucky to have three people working at the same time. Most days though, the company only gives enough hours to each store so that there is only two people working. This is a major customer service and loss prevention issue!!!! You definitely will need to have great multitasking skills to try to achieve all the millions of last minute tasks that corporate rolls out. There isn't great communication on many things. The worse part is how they do product shipments. At Anna's, it's either feast or famine when it comes product. They never have enough product for the Ad and if so you usually get it after the Ad has ended. Or you will tons of old product that doesn't move. Plus, over the past few years it seems that our product quality has gone down the toilet so most of what you sell will be returned or damaged out. You do have the potential to bonus (which they did lower the goals this past year for it to be easier which is a nice perk) however, if you don't have the product you can't make the sales. Everyone one is WAY underpaid- including store managers! This job wasn't great to begin with but it ended up becoming horrible once we got a different D.M. The new one is ridiculous. She doesn't talk to her people right, there is absolutely no support to the stores, and has no clue on how to lead her people. The experience will really depend on who your higher ups are. My old DM, although not perfect, made the job worthwhile because you knew he supported you and appreciated his crew. It also really seems that they continuously seem to continue to cut back on everything which made me start seeing red flags for the future of this company and I wasn't willing to stick it out to see if that's the case.

-Payroll is the biggest expense in retail, but you gotta have more people in the stores in order to achieve the customer service levels that Corporate wants and get shipments done efficiently. There should always be three people in the store at all times- especially for Loss Prevention purposes!
    -Get better buyers and better product!!! Make sure the product arrives in stores when you actually need it.
    -Realize if you move a DM to a new district and all of sudden many of your good SMs start to leave the company, MAYBE you should reevaluate if the DM is in the right position.
    -You say this is a "family friendly" environment but your actions say differently. This is not a big box store so realize we can not compete with the bigger companies. Anna's Linens does NOT need to be open on Thanksgiving or overnight- we don't have the staff to run the store like that and we should give our employees a chance to actually enjoy the holiday with their families after all we ask of them on a daily basis. Also, close on Sundays at 6pm. There is no need to be open till 8- we don't have the business. Save the four hours of payroll for better coverage throughout the week.

Okay for students or if you have another job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved helping customers decorate their rooms, especially helping with curtains.

Cons

Customers can be rude, but I never really had a problem with them since I always listened to them. Hours are always being cut, and the crappy managers give you no hours to stay in the DM's good graces. You're expected to do a lot for little pay. You're expected to cater to the customers without leaving the first 25 feet of the store. Most of the time it's just you in the front and a manager in the back.

Listen to lower employees and stop giving managers so many chances and bonuses. Most of the time, the managers are the laziest employees of the stores.

Worst job ever...

I worked at Anna's Linens

Pros

The girls I worked with were nice.....thats it!

Cons

The store was always a mess. Management was always unhelpful for customers making the job as a sales associate harder on me and the other girls. the discriminate against pregnant women! After comming out and saying I was pregnnat my hours got cut back so far I couldnt even pay my electric bill. was even told to not expect to have a job after my leave. After putting in my two weeks no one was will in to help me. On my last day they scheduled me I had a doctors appointment that could not be changed (a weekly visit) that I had let them know about the week before and no one would switch shifts with me. When I told them I could no come In I got yelled at and told no was a bad employee anyway. I would never come back to any of these stores for a job or anything else. As a former employee I know how cheap most of the merchandise is and have experienced bad customer service every day I worked here (over a year) dont see this company stay in open much longer. There are to many returns to make a profit due to things falling apart before they even get put into the washer. Bedsets fading and dying peoples skin and many other issues that I have noticed.

Treat your employees better and more fairly clean your stores and stop discrimination. Id never ask for employment here again and advise against anyone who tried.

They know what to say to get you in the door!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Anna's Linens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None they need to work on a lot of things

Cons

You have to open early before the store actually opens and close 15 minutes before the stores closes! You never get off at your scheduled time. They offer bonuses but they are impossible to get because none of the stores make enough money to reach the goal. The discount does not apply to everything in the store and there's not enough employees working in each store

Give your associates more responsibility!

I love Annas Linens

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Anna's Linens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My boss is the best

Cons

Everything is good to me here

none

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cicero, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cicero, IL

I have been working at Anna's Linens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

bonuses if sales are meat per quarter. great management team, discounts and great sales. 38 hours guaranteed for an ASM. Play role in scheduling, training employees, and setting up store.

Cons

cut on hours for team based on sales, no raises based on last years sales. Varied shifts.