Anna's Linens

Add Photos

Alan Gladstone

Learning experience

I worked at Anna's Linens

ProsJob Advancement; communication with upper management if needed

Consmay not get enough hours

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the employees of the company

Taught me a lot, but glad I'm gone!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Lithonia, GA

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI learned a lot when I was Assistant Store Manager at Anna's Linens...the position taught me a great deal about patience, how to multitask and time management. And also they like to promote from within and that's good.

ConsUpper management does not communicate to Store Mangers, Assistant Store Managers and Supervisors. Upper management expect the world of you without giving you the means to accomplish the goals they want you to accomplish. Store managers do not know how to properly "coach and council" their employees properly and will just sweep issues under the rug and blame Assistant Store Managers and Supervisors for not being firm enough. Issues start from the top, not the bottom...once Anna's realize this I think their stores will run a little smoother and not run through so many employees!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice is for Corporate and District Manager...conduct more training for SM and ASM and be more accessible to your managers and regular employees. Learn to communicate more with your SM and ASM so that there will be no questions left unanswered, this way you'll keep more SM and ASM and won't have to constantly hire new ones and keep upsetting the flow of your stores.

This job gives you freedom to be creative with your customers.

I have been working at Anna's Linens

ProsThe interaction with your customers. To help them walk away with feeling great with the choices they have made to turn their house into a home.

ConsThe consistent changes in day to day tasking and planning.

Unfulfilling

New Store Coordinator (Former Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you work in the office, you get sample sales.
The people who I worked with are nice, and everyone is willing to help you but not willing to help you get ahead/grow into a new position.

ConsNot much morale boosting activities. High share of cost for benefits. Management is too picky. Company is in a downtrend. Lots of layoffs. Applied for several interoffice transfers and was denied.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to boost morale to boost productivity.

Fun place to work and great people to work with!

I worked at Anna's Linens

ProsAmazing friends were made while I worked there. Gained decorating experience as well as how to set planograms and flex products in.

ConsThis company was a great place to work the only downside was the lack of employees during the week. If it got busy there was no back up.

Bad and steadily getting worse.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Anna's Linens part-time

ProsVariety of tasks; you're never stuck doing one thing day in and day out. Small team, so you feel like you can make an impact on how things are done in the store.

ConsWages and hours are both low. You start off at minimum wage and would be lucky to get more than 15 hours a week. Management does not seem to care very much for its employees or store-specific problems. The store I work at, and apparently other stores, have had issues with receiving larger volumes of freight than we are used to since late 2013. We are not given the proper hours to put people on working freight, so our stockroom is constantly full and we often have to put boxes on the sales floor. The store is a mess, customers cannot get to merchandise or navigate the store, and we can't use our stockroom properly. We are losing money, souring our relations with customers, and employee morale is fading fast, but management doesn't seem to care.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to let stores have more autonomy and allow them to set their own priorities, instead of making your priorities the number one priority of every store, regardless of the store's struggles. Also, if you're going to double and triple the amount of merchandise shipped to stores each week, then you need to give managers more hours to deal with it as well.

Great retail job with room for growth.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Anna's Linens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun people, Fun to make displays, Fun to help decorate people's homes. 20% employee discounts and 30% employee appreciation. When working holidays company provides food. Always opportunity to be promoted because they prefer to promote from within. Flexible shifts if you go to school or have a familyl very family oriented business where you have multiple chances to meet and talk to the CEO and upper management, especially as a lead, assistant or store manager. Fun manager meetings with food and refreshments provided and paid mileage for your traveling.

ConsMinimal staff in one shift so there is a lot of multitasking which can be stressful. This is not for the lazy type. All members of staff unload shipments while also helping customers or needing to ring up customers. There is room for growth but there is only 1-2 stores in a city or within 20 miles so if you do move up and you have to transfer stores there is more commute.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow hours primarily for shipment so that customer service is never compromised.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Augusta, GA

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time for less than a year

ProsBesides meeting a few new and good people, they are no pros.

ConsEverything was horrible, from the employees to the products. Hours are horrible. If i had known about that 1 day a week crap, i would've stayed broke. Manager had two side kicks, whatever the conversations were about with the manager and DM, somehow the side kicks knew everything and told it all. District Manager needs to be fired. She feels she can talk to people any kind of way because of her "Title" truth be told, she's a nobody.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust shut the company down. The same amount of people who came in and shopped came back along with more customers to cash out (Return Items).

Stressful & Frustrating

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Anna's Linens full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNice clean atmosphere. My DM was easy to work with. Upper management was always nice and complimentary when they came to my store. I enjoyed working with other managers and my employees.

ConsNot enough payroll to get everything done. Only myself and one other employee working a 10,000 square foot store most of the time. when we got off two other employes were coming in to close. One person had to stay at the front of the store at all times so that meant the other was left to do freight, move merchandise and everything else that needed to be done. Managers are definitely hands on and expected to do it all, sometimes I felt like a glorified stocker instead of a manager. I was told when i was hired that this was family oriented company but it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementStores need more hours to do the work load and larger staff. Close all stores on Thanksgiving and Easter Sunday. Only be open 12 to 6 on Sunday so employees can attend church and family get togethers .

Hard work, minimum pay, and the sales associates and supervisors take most of the blame

Houston, TX

I worked at Anna's Linens part-time for more than a year

Prosflexibility is about the only pro that I could think of.

ConsThey always call on your off days, understaffed, safety hazards everywhere. It was only two people working in a big store with no public bathroom, but was forced to let the customers use the employee bathroom while leaving only one employee by themselves constantly. HUGE PROBLEM! Yet they wonder why theft is high in their stores. The district managers blame their sales on the store itself instead of the merchandise and store policy. You do more then what you are paid to do. Lots of silly procedures to make the customer feel "welcome" but in actuality scaring them off. The company evolves around favoritism. If you show a lot of leadership skills, the manager and assistant manager will begin to think you are after their spot and start sabotaging you. Don't let this be a long term job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you stop being cheap and stop cutting hours everytime you dont make the sales budget. What you should do is focus on Loss prevention and build a PUBLIC bathroom while leaving only one person on the floor. Do you understand that is a HUGE safety hazard?!

Worked for Anna's Linens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anna's Linens reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anna's Linens CEO Alan Gladstone. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Anna's Linens employees.