Anne Arundel Community College

4.1
CEO

1. Great student jobs

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College

Pros

Flexible, great benefits, good training, lots of mentors, looks great on a resume

Cons

I didn't have any negative experiences working here.

2. Good place to work.

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College

Pros

Nice people.
    Community.
    Fun talking to people.

Cons

It is an okay place to work.

3. I worked at Anne Arundel Community College

Pros

In addition to the excellent classrooms, the college has a robust online student/teacher portal to keep abreast of notes/ homework/ grades/ emails etc. This allows the teacher better communication while not in the classroom and more time teaching students while in the classroom.

Cons

The instructor assignments were on a per contract basis - no guarantee there would be a need for the same class or amount of classes the next term.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if a base contract (minimum) could be guaranteed for each term to ensure ability to stay at this position for many years.

5. I worked at Anne Arundel Community College part-time

Pros

Great support and training. Excellent working environment.

Cons

New hybrid classroom environment had some kinks to work out. It improved over time.

Great Oppurtunities

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Arnold, MD
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent faculty to work with

Cons

politics get in the way sometimes. Some not as open to being on the cutting edge.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to try new things

Dedicated people

Current Employee - Technology Staff in Arnold, MD
    Current Employee - Technology Staff in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work space and people, dedicated to doing a quality job each day.

Cons

Mired in older technology and resistance to adopt new technologies and take a more global perspective.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get a little more involved with the latest trends in technology and not be so married to the way things have always been done. Innovation is the way of the future, not stagnation.

8. Good place to work

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work environment and the staff/faculty are friendly and truly helpful to the students. Employees here seem to genuinely like their jobs and respect their employers.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement for adjunct; the ratio of adjunct to full time makes it unlikely you'll move up any time soon. This is true for adjunct everywhere, though, not necessarily the fault of the college.

Going downhill in a hurry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arnold, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College

Pros

The benefits package and leave plan is amazing; It is what keeps me here. I pay little to nothing for medical, dental and vision for my husband and myself. I can take leave pretty much whenever I want and get paid holidays when the school is closed ( Winter Break, Spring Break, MLK Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Forth of July).I think that you would be hard pressed to find another employer that gives you such cushy benefits.

Cons

The job itself is monotonous. The students have gotten much ruder over the years and the parents have become the same. Anyone that calls up a business and curses at the person that's trying to help them is just not cool. It used to be great... but as I said the whole college is going downhill. The right hand has no idea what the left is doing. The turn over of management has been increasing. Everyone is jumping ship. There have been no raises in YEARS for anyone however, everything can get remodeled whether or not it's needed.

Advice to Management

Communication is key and it needs to be better at AACC! No one has any idea what anyone else is doing. A few of the newer higher ups have completely destroyed the culture at AACC. The new dress code doesn't make us approachable to students.

Overall a good experience but...

Current Employee - Web Developer II in Arnold, MD
    Current Employee - Web Developer II in Arnold, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Community College

Pros

Educational benefits, not-for-profit, feeling like what you do is for a cause nobler than someone's bottom line.

Cons

Attitudes of some in management, lack of innovation or innovative ideas, a sometimes glacial pace for getting things done, politics.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at how management interacts with subordinates and take corrective actions if necessary. Think outside the box!

11. Happy until Managers kept changing

I worked at Anne Arundel Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, hours, and employee parties. It is also located in a nice area.

Cons

No chance of advancement.
    I need to add more words, but have nothing to say.

Advice to Management

Help people who want to advance, advance.

RSS Feed </> Embed