Anne Arundel County Public Schools

Add Photos

Anne Arundel County Public Schools Superintendent Kevin M. Maxwell

Kevin M. Maxwell

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I worked at a terrible school, can't say much about the district beyond that

Teacher (Former Employee)
Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time for more than a year

ProsDiverse community, interesting and dedicated co-workers

ConsThe school I worked at had a lot of on-going issues with administration, some of which are still going through the legal process.
Issues with administration led to unfair treatment of employees and ability for students to get away with a lot of bad behavior.
The school was extremely outdated. Administration pushed teachers to use technology, but there were barely enough outlets in the room to plug in a computer, pencil sharpener and a projector. Technology provided in computer labs and teachers' desktop computers were very outdated.
There seemed to be a lot of "ganging up" by administrators and district-level program supervisors when problems arose with particular teachers. (I did not experience this personally, but saw issues arising around fellow teachers that seemed unjust.)

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the administration has had a complete turnover since my time there, which is probably for the better. There were some very dedicated teachers who were undervalued and mistreated by the administration. I found that to be very unfortunate, as this particular school environment was not the easiest place to teach in the first place.

Incompetent System

Teacher (Current Employee)
Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools for more than 5 years

Pros-The students
-Summers off
-Co-workers at the school

Cons-No raise in 4 years, but the district is constantly spending money on new programs
-They expect us to work miracles with little to no support or the tools needed to do our job
-The curriculum I recieve from the county is horrible. The people in charge of the curriculum are out of touch with what our students need. We spend a lot of time rewriting lessons to meet the needs of our students.
-The board makes it very clear that they do not care about how teachers feel. We do not have a voice. ETAG is one big PR campaign. If they really wanted to eliminate the achievement gap, they would equip all teachers with the proper technology, stoy starting new programs and master the ones that work / eliminate the ones that do not, trust teachers to create our own curriculum, give us a raise, and stop overloading our classrooms with students (get rid of the cost effective but student detrimental A/B day schedule.
-They are constantly adding new tasks and responsibilities to our workload despite not giving us a raise
-No growth potential as a teacher unless you become and administrator
-They do not pay for extra responsibilities (department chair, content leader, etc.) as other school districts do

Worked for Anne Arundel County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Anne Arundel County Public Schools reviews and ratings in Fort Meade, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Anne Arundel County Public Schools CEO Kevin M. Maxwell. All reviews posted anonymously by Anne Arundel County Public Schools employees.