Anne Arundel County Public Schools

Mamie Johns Perkins

1. Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great system and great schools!

Cons

Most of the best sub jobs opened up in the AM so you didn't know what to expect till that day.

Advice to Management

NA

Poorly Organized with High Expectations from Teachers

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The money is good, and the kids are well behaved.

Cons

The administration does nothing but visit occasionally and make suggestions. Rarely are their compliments, just areas of improvement. When kids misbehave they are no where to be found.

Advice to Management

Structure and support your vision before you push out expectations to your teachers. That's just backwards.

Experience Depends Mostly on School But County is Inept

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, benefits, summers and time off

Cons

Teachers are not treated with respect or as professionals. Lack of leadership at all levels. County us better at OR than effecting actual change. Salary was frozen for almost 7 years. Professional development is a joke. Students and parents are not held accountable. Had to work several part time Jobs to make ends meet. No career path. No efforts to increase engagement or retention among teachers. Students run the school and are not held accountable for bad behavior. You are pressured to give good grades even if student refused to work.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers as professionals and with respect. Invest in real professional development and technology. Require administration to be leaders and true managers.

5. Changed my life

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working with people, and working with the kids and their parents changed my life for the better, I established new friendships, and learned alot about myself. Knowing I had a part in a childs life that would forever travel with them makes me feel good inside as a person.

Cons

Becoming attached to the students and having to say goodbye

Advice to Management

Just make sure the people your hiring has a sincere love for children. Some people do it for benefits and money.

Best Substitute Teaching Experience

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools

Pros

I have subbed in multiple districts in multiple states. AACPS administrators and office staff are by far the most organized and welcoming I have encountered. Dept. supervisors and administrators do the best to make sure you have everything you need. Admin check the quality of teacher sub lesson plans. I'm not used to substituting being taken so seriously! The kids want to like you and work with you. They respect substitutes who really try and will show their appreciation. MOST classes in MOST buildings are good enough that you won't "lose" them if there is a small hiccup. If you think these administrators are bad, then you really need to travel around and see what's out there. The number of good administrators is higher in AACPS than other places I've been. Keep up the good work AACPS! I want to teach there full time based on my experiences.

Cons

The pay scale for substitutes should be 15 dollars higher than it is. The entry level pay scale for full time teachers is acceptable, but it is not competitive for mid-career educators. More needs to be done to ensure step raises. I guess there is a price to pay for working in nice schools.

Advice to Management

Give the step raises, and beef up the mid-career Master's steps. AACPS is a wonderful district that does so much right! Do more to keep your best educators!

Subbing for Anne Arundel County Public Schools

Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Annapolis, MD
    Former Contractor - Substitute Teacher in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most schools were welcoming and helpful as I would do my job for the day. I met a lot of great teachers and administrators.

Cons

As a sub, it really does help to be a professional teacher. With subs now expected to execute lesson plans rather than just showing the kids a movie, you really do have to teach. This would be difficult for people who have never taught kids.

Also, I noticed that a lot of teachers were unhappy with the regimentation taking place in the schools. They were frustrated with being treated just as curriculum deliverers.

Advice to Management

If at all possible, have "regular" subs at the schools. If a school is large enough, a sub could be employed full time and just find out each morning where he or she needs to report. This gives the kids more consistency. Also, please treat good, creative teachers better, or you will keep losing them.

8. Teachers Assistant

Current Employee - TEACHERS ASSISTANT in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - TEACHERS ASSISTANT in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are incredible. The atmosphere is energetic and fun.

Cons

n n n n n

9. Good benefits, unreasonable expectations

Current Employee - Multiple in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Multiple in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Benefits, leave (too much), snow days, children

Cons

Unreasonable workload with unreasonable pay. Low morale. Inconsistent policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

Consistency!

Nepotistic, useless Central Office

Current Employee - Teacher in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Colleagues are what makes the job bearable.
    Many wonderful students.

Cons

Thoughtless curriculum purchases
    Teacher workloads
    Lack of leadership -jump on latest bandwagon approach.
    Not considerate of students in what appears to be random decision making.
    Not much classroom experience which impacts your poor decision making and ability to understand what is going on in classrooms.

Advice to Management

Check your purpose for being in the positions you have. Stop "he/she's my friend, relative" hiring.
    Stop adult to adult bullying.
    Teach once in a while.
    Study the education model of Finland.

11. Great group of highly dedicated overworked and underpaid professionals.

Current Employee - Teacher in Annapolis, MD

Pros

Great teachers and staff who really care about kids.

Cons

Low salary and limited budgets. Run on a shoestring. Not the fault of educators so much as it is the political climate. Kids deserve a world class education but county does not want to pay for it. The people who work in the schools do an incredible job because they care. They do it not for money but because it is important. Aacps teachers are paid less than most counties in MD.

Advice to Management

Get county politicians to grant a realistic budget.