Anne Arundel Medical Center

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Martin L. Doordan

Great learning experience with room for growth.

Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsGreat health benefits. Friendly staff. My direct supervisors and nurses were helpful and I believe that allowed me to grow into being a really good Patient Care Secretary.

ConsAnnapolis is a small town. Many from this town work at this hospital in every area. Do not get caught up in the gossip that may ensue. The initial general orientation was informative, yet it could have been presented in a less monotone and boring manner.

My experience was great, bad time on my part...my mother passed away during my tenure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities are great for new nurses

ConsLots of elderly nurses who are set in their ways

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a mixture of new talent with the old.

Pathways

Chemical Dependency Tech (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsBest Paying Hospital Around
    Tuition Reimbursement
    On-site classes and training
    Co-workers are great and considerate
    Patients come from a variety of different places in MD, very cultured

ConsPathways is sort of the "red headed step child" of AAMC since it is offsite.
    The consideration that the hospital gets Pathways doesn't.

Insurance is very expensive for out of network providers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider pathways like a pavillion of the hospital.
    Even though it is offsite it deserves the same attention the hospital main campus does.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always looked forward to getting to work

Unit Secretary (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsHealth benefits, encouragement to progress professionally and great staff.

ConsI'm sure much has changed since I was employed.

pleasent atmosphere

Phlebotomist (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

Prosfriendly, clean, stocked, well organized

Consnot as flexable with scheduling as I would have liked

Bringing hope and sunshine to patients and their family members was my number one priority.

Administrative (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsI met people every day at the hospital with a myriad of emotions such as joy, sorrow, grief, etc. To be able to assist them, hug them or give an encouraging word is what provides me deep satisfaction and reward.

ConsThe downside was department nurses, doctors and techs extremely overworked and exhausted from the demands. Another downside is quality bedside patient care has been substituted with never ending charting and paperwork and micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice would be to cease immediately from telling employees there is no money and that every penny must be saved and every stone unturned to save, save, save. This poverty mentality makes medical staff feel guilty and unmotivated and they eventually look for other employment. The turnover of nurses is huge due to doubling up on their workload to save money and they are unable to do lunch most of the time or have breaks.

Terrible Place to Work

Director Level (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing good I can say about this place.

ConsThis is a terrible place to work. Management from the top down does not care about employees or patient care. Upper management continues to get bonuses while cutting the benefits and vacation of directors, managers and hourly staff. Directors and managers are hit with a biweekly cost above and beyond benefit cost. Directors get hit $40 per pay period. I was in a position that oversaw patient safety and items I brought up where swept under the rug. Facility is not maintained per Joint Commission requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board should fire them all!!

I was proud to be an employee of AAMC and gave it my all!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsTeam Members
    Hours
    Growth for employees
    Lovely environment to work in

ConsManagers need training to improve their managerial skills.
    Raise percentages over the ye

Advice to Senior ManagementSend polls to employers before changes are made in their department. They are the ones working there and have wonderful IDEAS!

Management is clueless, promoted beyond their capabilities.

ProsClose to home. Great co-workers.

ConsManagement is clueless, only there for the money. AAMC executives turn their heads and "sweep under the rug" the blatant lack of true leadership. All they care about are their bonus checks and their title. You could erect a billboard listing their deficiencies and lies and they would still continue to deny, deny, deny. They have the community fooled, if the community knew what was going on behind the scenes there would be no more large donations.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit lying and own up to and correct the money costing mistakes you have allowed to continue-that only impact employee paychecks.

Started out great, left with a terrible taste in my mouth.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsVery supportive coworkers, free employee parking, easy commute. Pay is still higher than many Baltimore hospitals, as well. Some unit managers are very supportive and protective of their staff

ConsManagement doesn't care, pay and benefits for the majority of staff being cut left and right while the upper management refuses to disclose their salaries, bonuses, etc., some units favored higher than others. Some units' managers and charge nurses place their budgets and bottom lines above the safety of their patients and staff regarding nurse/patient ratios, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace higher importance on your staff, be more transparent, Make safety more important than the bottom line

Worked for Anne Arundel Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!