Ansaldo STS USA Reviews

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

It was really bad, but I heard it's getting better

Former Employee - Engineer A in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer A in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Easy commute, free parking, nice cafeteria, gym onsite, great (if under-appreciated) co workers. I heard that they recently fired CEO Alan Caligari. Since his firing, my few friends that are still there say they no longer dread coming to work every day.

Cons

When I was there Caligari ran the place with an awkward combination of humor and heavy-handed tactics. The humor was generally off-color and offensive. He had no respect for the customers or the people who worked there. So many great strategic and functional engineers left while I was there and Caligari's yes-men VP's and directors didn't seem to care at al. They just replaced them with under qualified (cheap) contractors. Caligari failed miserably, he ran a 140 year old company into the ground in just a few years. ASTS provides railway control systems. Those types of customers don't switch vendors on a whim. Yet under his direction we were losing customers every day.

Advice to Management

There is an old saying about those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

2. nice

Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

people are just so family like.

Cons

weak managment needs to get better

Advice to Management

reward for experience and hard work

Once a great company that is in significant decline

Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Long Time Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Very talented engineers. Comradery amongst engineering staff is great.

Cons

Management from Director level up does not understand the industry in which we work. They are trying to change the company, but there is no vision of where they want us to go.

Advice to Management

Before rocking the boat, create a vision of where you want the company to go ... Communicate the vision and get buy-in from within and from our customers, create a plan to execute to the vision and then execute the plan. (not rocket science, really)

Lack of direction

Current Employee - Wayside Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Wayside Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Stable workplace, Co-Workers are friendly

Cons

Stale workplace, lacks direction and goals, project feedback from management is zero. Defiantly seen a decline in leadership and company feedback.

Advice to Management

Provide some direction or goals where the the company is headed is unknown to everyone that works here.

6. Too much churn.

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

big company, deep pockets, highly technical individuals employed

Cons

tight with money, too many people coming and going (headcount stable),

Advice to Management

quit moving people around the building

Challenging but rewarded for achievement

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Ansaldo STS USA (aka The Switch) still offers challenging work in an interesting domain. The railroad industry is alot more complex than most people realize until they work here. US&S systems are quite intricate and fun to develop. The software engineering staff is talented. Compensation has remained competivitive in order to retain quality staff.

Cons

Company cutbacks in 2010 damaged projects, corporate culture and customer relationships. Senior management and direction is now non-existent. Most experienced technical staff has left in recent years. Salary is competive but the rest of the benefits package is not up to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Provide direction and visiblity into the company. Get back to stable staffing levels so that projects don't have to raid each other. Recognize and reward accomplishments. Increase all aspects of benefits package to maintain market competiveness. Do everything possible to retain experienced staff.

Have witnessed the deterioration over the years

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

For quite some time, I have been impressed with the quality of the Engineers. Have learned a lot over the years from some very talented people. Unfortunately most of them have left the company in that time as well. I also like the challenging nature of working in the Rail Industry.

Cons

High amount of stress. Mostly due to the company being understaffed and poorly organized. Also has to do with the developers/sw engineers having to double as the front line customer service. It's a huge burden to place on developers to expect them to be creative/productive in accomplishing the design/development while also expecting them to carry a pager and be at the constant beckon call of the customers. In most organizations, a customer service team acts as the front line of defense in answering customer issues. Upper management won't even acknowledge the morale of the employees as a problem and instead mocks them and revokes holidays. There seems to be no motivation in upper management to compete for the best and brightest talent. The attitude is: "we'll simply pay five contractors off shore to replace each person that quits here." Replacing decades worth of expertise that has walked out the door is nearly impossible at this point. Particularly in a 100+ year old industry where maintaining continuity is essential.

Advice to Management

The company has been in steady decline for 15+ years now. Nothing done to date has changed that course. There's not much hope of changing that course unless you bribe most of the talented people to come back and most of them probably can't even be bribed at this point. Your only hope is to embrace an extremely long term approach to the problem (10+ years) and start building and retaining a team that you plan to keep together that long.

A solid work experience.

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Good location, nice facility, free parking, nice gym, lots of talent in the building, cafe in the building, bike trail near the facility.

Cons

Some positions don't allow room for advancement. Certain departments that everyone depends on are horribly understaffed and underfunded, such as the IT department.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to those employees that are experienced with the product. Failure to do so will result in yet more talented and experienced people leaving the company.

didn't think things through before I decided to work here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

co-worker are quite friendly knowledgeable

Cons

No opportunity for advancemet or promotions Raises are very rare. No training provided. Work is very hard with very little reward.

Terrible company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA

Pros

Coworkers, facility, location, descent benefits.

Cons

No opportunity for advancemet/promotions/raises. No training provided. Be prepared to work really hard with no reward.

Advice to Management

Compensate the employees better. Give better opportunity for promotions.

RSS Feed </> Embed