Ansaldo STS USA

Ansaldo STS USA Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014

Ansaldo STS USA President & CEO Marco Fumagalli

Marco Fumagalli

Pros:
  • "There is free parking in a covered garage with on-site security"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Great People, leading edge projects with real potential to make a difference"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Departures of strong engineers has hurt; productivity and delivery to customers has been compromised and morale is low"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Way too much upper management and overhead for a company that size"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Engineer

ProsNice projects and kind people

ConsNo. May or may not it located in Pittsburgh.

Mostly positive

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWork is interesting and challenging. The people are fantastic. The location is nice and not too far from shopping, entertainment, and restaurants. There is free parking in a covered garage with on-site security.

ConsCompany is being folded into the Italian mode of operation with so much emphasis on becoming global that it makes communications within projects difficult.
    The Personal Development Process (performance and salary reviews) is way too complex and takes way too long and is still very subjective.
    Middle and upper management seems to change frequently and never really seem to know much about the business but always seem to think that they know the one true way to solve all of the problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo senior management in Italy: sell this company to an American firm.

Great people and culture, poor management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosvery laid back atmosphere
    some departments offer travel opportunities
    good pay/benefits
    parking garage / gym / happy hours and corporate golfing
    training

Consno proactive management whatsoever. If you want to know the right way of doing things or wonder what is expected - you better off asking another employee than your manager. Company also had many lay offs recently

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce company's culture more actively. It's a great company, I just wish they would have a better structure and clearly state the expectations of management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People and Ideals, Poor Retention Efforts

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDecent starting salaries and benefits. The lower management is on point and knows their business. There is a decent ability to advance if you are in a position to interact with others often.

ConsThe "new" international management that keeps replacing the upper management does not know the business or make attempts to understand business is run differently in the US. There is also little attempt to retain good employees or offer pay increases or bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to improve the business not conform it to how it is done elsewhere. Don't break it if it isn't broken.
    Also, improve salaries for existing employees instead of giving raises to people who quit and come back a few years later.

Nice place to work but frustrating at times

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat colleagues to work with
    Flexible work times

ConsNot enough resources to complete projects on time

Advice to Senior ManagementParallel design/build test practices increase risk and lead to high project overruns of budget and schedule.

Great opportunity and experience, poor management

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWorking for this company has been a great experience. I have learned allot about the rail/transit industry. The team members were great and worked together for a common goal.

ConsManagement needs to know more on what is going on within the departments. Communication between the departments needs a lot of work. Upper management are down sizing the worker bees and expecting the ones that are left to pick up the slack with little recognition, so morale was low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore recognition for the workers. A little praise and recognition goes along way.

Senior Project Manager

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood hard working dedicated workers who want to make the business thrive.

ConsBad management and leadership, poor wages, business is "For Sale" and "run" from Italy. Too much work, too few people, lack of customer commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut Tom Lawton back at the helm and go back to continue ruining your home country business...

Ansaldo STS has the potential to be a very good competitor in the Rail Industry, but management continually intervenes.

Signal Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsFlexible hours (depending on manager)
    Casual Dress
    Free parking (garage and surface lot)
    On-Site Cafeteria
    Free Coffee/Tea
    New carpet (for sale hopefully)

ConsThe majority of management has no knowledge of the industry. Management decisions are purely made based on the bottom line ($$). Engineering and those who know the industry will make legitimate recommendations on products/projects, but will be quickly dismissed due to cost. Most of these types of decisions actually end up costing more (much more) money in the end and substantial schedule slips because of these methods of cutting corners.
    I was working on one project a number of years back and had 13 different managers/supervisors/project managers/VPs (I had a scorecard), that would each visit me every other day to get an update on the project. We had 13 people watching me at every move. How much work can I possible get done when I am being visited by this many people?
    Pay raises and bonuses are non-existent, no matter what type of effort or time you spend on the project. This goes back to the fact that most projects are so far underwater, so if you happen to work 80 hours a week on the project, you don't deserve anything because it must clearly be the fault of the engineer working on the sinking project. Not the management who is dismissing all valid recommendations based purely on cost/time. I agree that there need to be limits on both, but mistakes have been made early on the project, and instead of trying to make them right now, we continue to cut corners and are ordered to "make it work". Very unethical in my opinion. Who do you talk to about this type of unethical behavior?
    If you speak out and express your feelings, you are pulled aside and questioned why you're not a team player. Ansaldo STS doesn't make kitchen tupperware, we manufacture highly complex train/signal control equipment, which are used to move people safely and quickly. Most management should find their way to the local Bed, Bath and Beyond and attempt to manage there.
    Not many people realize this, but many years ago, the company had a survey to give up their birthday and two other holidays (which were paid off at that time) to exchange them for the workdays between Christmas and New Years. This was a success so for the first few years I was there, we had the entire week off without having to use any of my personal days. A number of years back, they did away with the paid break and removed the three days AND they never gave back the days that were originally sacrificed. Most of the newer people working there have no idea that Ansaldo screwed them over, but the old timers remember the day the change was made.
    Promotions and movements within the company are primarily dictated by WHO you know, not WHAT you know. If one doesn't have any friends in upper management that they share a tee time, try to get hired in as high as you can, because you won't be moving much (if any) after that. I have seen individuals start a project, leave it in shambles to move up the latter and the cycle continues.
    A few years back, the company migrated to PTO time, which was a way to punish the entire company for those few who abused sick days (which was never really tallied). They gave us 5 additional days to our current vacation. So if you do get legitimately sick, after the 5 days are used, you are in your vacation time. I was told that it was a response to a select few people. So, instead of approaching the few about taking too many sick days, the entire company is punished.
    The turnover rate is exceptional on a variety of products/projects. Project managers and project engineers seem to move around (and out) so frequently. It seems that every month, we need to regroup and spend ample amount of time to bring them up to speed.
    Overall, there is zero lack of direction, too many managers watching your every move, never enough money to do it right the first time and when it comes to having to do it over, there still is not enough money, so corners are cut again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost engineers are not employed to pursue their own ideas and projects. We are there to bring the money into the company with the products and projects. Managers do not bring in the money, as they are simply overhead. So when ideas and recommendations are made, listen. You may not agree, because it falls outside of the current scope, but in our minds this should represent the best approach for the issue at hand.

My perspective

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsOrganization accepts personal schedule, good environment, reliable professionals, no much supervision.

ConsMiddle management has no experience in the technical field; thus their decisions do not fit in place. Nonexistent training in all levels. Projects designs depend on the experience of a group of old people, which is not necessarily the best approach to create "Design - Engineers" for the future. There is not a chance to grow. Europe vision for train industry will never be the same as the American vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet technical training

Sinking fast - not a healthy company

Pittsburgh, PA

ProsLots of good technical people just yearning to be guided and challenged

Flexible work schedule

Potential to travel domestically and internationally to nice destinations, if desired

New Carpet

ConsExtremely poor management that panders to the even more clueless offshore management

No stability of the organization (constant re-organizations)

Italy makes all the decisions with little or incorrect information

No long term vision, very short-sighted in all decisions

No support for innovation even though it’s talked about regularly

Is there an R&D budget?

Zero performance-based compensation or motivation

Advice to Senior ManagementGet engaged in our work, stand up to off-shore management, give employees something to look forward to, and have a long-term plan!

Worked for Ansaldo STS USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ansaldo STS USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ansaldo STS USA CEO Marco Fumagalli. All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Ansaldo STS USA employees.